Lukewarm heat on driver side (after flush attempt)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TinaKotek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey ram forum, first time poster here - I’ve owned my 2009 5.7L hemi 1500 for about three years now and I’ve had nothing but issue after issue like whack a mole it seems and I justify it by the fact it’s paid off .
I had an evaporator leak code last year and spent a pretty penny tracking down what the issue was changed the canister and it ended up being the purge pump.. had a rear pinion leak and got that taken care of.. then I had no heat on the drivers side and also a nasty belt squeal building so I decided to save some money this time and take the job on myself. I ended up changing the water pump, thermostat, idler pulley, belt tensioner, did the clutch fan delete x v6 E fan and tune, did a flush through the coolant system and heater core back flush.. flushed some rusty gunk out and got clear healthy flow through the heater core hoses afterwards. while I was running the truck after adding coolant back in and bleeding the system I felt good heat on the drivers side I thought and after driving it yesterday it feels lukewarm again, could it be air in the heater core? Or should I do another flush? Ideas?.. I really don’t want to tear the dash apart.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you can, just reverse the hoses on the heater core and leave them that way - it will backflush everytime you run the engine.
Usually a backflush can get some of the blockages free but not all - I always reinstall the hoses reverse of how I took them off if there is enough room and hose.

jr27236

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you can, just reverse the hoses on the heater core and leave them that way - it will backflush everytime you run the engine.
Usually a backflush can get some of the blockages free but not all - I always reinstall the hoses reverse of how I took them off if there is enough room and hose.
That's great, but if you are back flushing the heater core with your cooling system, where does all the crap go now? Into the rad and settle there? I personally wouldn't do that.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Usually dispersed back into the block, or you can keep backflushing the core time after time.
It's actually very little crap as the heater core has very small openings.

To be clear, I do this after a good backflushing using a hose connected to city water.