Malfunctioning 110V outlets, how to check?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrgadway

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I have never used either the front or rear 110V outlets on my 2022 Rebel. I tried for the first time yesterday to charge a small battery pack but neither outlet worked. I saw a small yellow light on next to plugs. The plug says 400w max and I checked the battery pack only needs about 50w. I checked fuse #35 , a 50 amp fuse , but it tested good. The manual says they will automatically reset if overloaded but I rechecked this morning and no luck. Anybody have anything to try before I have the dealer look at it , assuming someday , they actually get the HPFP in and the other accumulating tailgate and rear view sensor. I think I must be last on the HPFP list even though I signed the same day I got the recall notice.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

Pretty sure mine shows a yellow led when something is plugged in too. But it still charges my laptop going down the road.

Stavinksi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
would one of those $5 outlet testers work on the truck outlet? what happens to ground on a vehicle 120V AC outlet? I may have to try this for curiosity sake.

quickster2

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Laramie 2500 4 X 4
Engine
6.4L
Probably not applicable, but my 2015 needed the outlet replaced as the outlet itself was defective. Fuses, inverter, all checked out OK. At the outlet nothing. Luckily, it was under warranty at the time.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
would one of those $5 outlet testers work on the truck outlet? what happens to ground on a vehicle 120V AC outlet?
It should report a faulty ground as it's not connected to the neutral as in a typical home distribution system

Mb7640

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you have a drop light with a ac outlet on it you can use that and get a cheap mulimter from harbor freight and check for 110vac. With the yellow light coming on it sounds more like the inverter

markabby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
mine shows an open ground....but i found out this is normal for the a/c outlets in the Ram

Attachments

• IMG_4248.jpeg
    IMG_4248.jpeg
    66.1 KB · Views: 4

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I have never used either the front or rear 110V outlets on my 2022 Rebel. I tried for the first time yesterday to charge a small battery pack but neither outlet worked. I saw a small yellow light on next to plugs. The plug says 400w max and I checked the battery pack only needs about 50w. I checked fuse #35 , a 50 amp fuse , but it tested good. The manual says they will automatically reset if overloaded but I rechecked this morning and no luck. Anybody have anything to try before I have the dealer look at it , assuming someday , they actually get the HPFP in and the other accumulating tailgate and rear view sensor. I think I must be last on the HPFP list even though I signed the same day I got the recall notice.
I could have sworn they did not handle that high wattage. I was going to plug my makita battery charger in and when I looked up the wattage on it, it would have been too much. my truck is a '20, so maybe they changed.