Manifold bolts and more “permanent” fix?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I went to your site, but nothing in the Ram owners preferred items was about headers, and every link I clicked on came back with server not found. I even clicked on the online catalog link and got the same message. What's up with that?

We changed site management companies and we have been working on the site since. Best option is ALWAYS to contact me via message here or email. I can go over options with you and most importantly offer you discounts! Plus what we offer is always growing so it is nearly impossible to keep the site updated at that level.

OP
OP
Addicted2fishing

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
metal only warps once then it is stable, have the OEM,s re-decked and put them back on with a quality gasket (not OEM) and use studs instead of bolts. you will never touch them again!!!

So if I get a good gasket and quality hardware it’s good?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
So if I get a good gasket and quality hardware it’s good?

Really just get them done under warranty, but if you can get them to machine/plane flat the existing ones that would be your best chance of no repeats assuming no cracks.However, if you get a good set of replacements, which is more likely what they'll do for faster turnaround time. (granted it's a crap shoot as there's no visible way to tell if they'll warp or not in the future) you may never have the problem again. My 2011 only had 1 manifold leak on the passenger side at around 120,000 I think and when I sold it at around 270,000 no leaks on either side.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
If you have the warranty, get the dealer to fix it.

Ask them if they replace or machine the old ones.

If they told me they just replace them, I would ask if I could have the old ones, and then get them machined myself for spares, because odds are the new ones, in time, will do the same as the old ones did.

I just did mine (I had the top rear studs on both sides break right at the head of the stud) and used the belt-sander method. I was not able to quite get all the warp-twist out, but it is done, and I have no tick. We will see.

Having them milled would have been the better way to go, and if too much material was removed, they might need a washer under the stud/bolt heads.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Kukailimoku

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
This seems to be the most common ***** on all Ram forums, going back for years - broken header bolts.
A casual reader would think all Rams (okay, Hemis) would end up with broken bolts.

How does one know? Do they freewheel when you try to spin em with your fingers? Do you have to take em into the dealer to get em checked? And how do you know the dealer wont' check em and just lie and say, "nah, the bolts are fine"?
Is there a free way to esily check them?
Or a no-BS symptom that even a dealer can't refute that will force them to repair it WITHOUT first having to pay the diagnostic exam fee?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
This seems to be the most common ***** on all Ram forums, going back for years - broken header bolts.
A casual reader would think all Rams (okay, Hemis) would end up with broken bolts.

How does one know? Do they freewheel when you try to spin em with your fingers? Do you have to take em into the dealer to get em checked? And how do you know the dealer wont' check em and just lie and say, "nah, the bolts are fine"?
Is there a free way to esily check them?
Or a no-BS symptom that even a dealer can't refute that will force them to repair it WITHOUT first having to pay the diagnostic exam fee?

Grab the heat shields if they move or rattle odds are the back bolts are broke. 9 times out of 10,it's the back bolts holding the shields in place that break

NOV87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Usually the first bolts to break are the ones towards the back of the truck. One can crawl under and try to wiggle the heatshield. If it moves, you have at least one broken bolt. Check the following video starting at 2:55

LoneStarSilver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On my 2012 both sides had broken bolts/studs twice (78k & 170k). Second time both manifolds were replaced. Both were still working fine when I sold it at 284k. My 2018 had both sides leaking at 48k. One side bolts/studs other side bolts/studs and manifold broken in two places. I’m at 74k so far no problems. The biggest gripe I had is that on all repairs the dealers had none of the parts in stock! So customer service went to the toilet for a known problem. I love my Rams but the wait for parts is really a challenging situation!!

OP
OP
Addicted2fishing

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I’ve been reluctant to bring it to the dealer and have them take a look lol. It’s far from me and I’m OCD and the thought of my truck crawling with COVID is too much right now lol. I know, I need help. I really should get this looked at tho. It sounds like crap when I start it

Doodoo972

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know you don't like the BBK's here but I have them installed for 2 years now and I have zero issues with them. I bought the ceramic coated ones and they still looking pretty good.
They are also CARB certified and they already passed my emission test two times.