May need tires sooner than I'd like, so...

Which tire for stock 20s? Please elaborate below.

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

17CrewCab1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wow, those are sposed to be one of the toughest tires out there but who knows, things can go wrong with brand new stuff.

I had a buddy of mine years ago that bought a brand spankin’ new set of some Kelly all terrains that he didn’t even make it home on before blowing the sidewall completely out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
There were a few recalls on these. My father in law does pipe work in Texas, he said the entite fleet changed tires due to this, I think they had over 10 trucks do this. This was a few years back, but they rock Good years now.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

DarthMegaHD

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4 MegaCab 4x4 Black Edition
Wow, those are sposed to be one of the toughest tires out there but who knows, things can go wrong with brand new stuff.

I had a buddy of mine years ago that bought a brand spankin’ new set of some Kelly all terrains that he didn’t even make it home on before blowing the sidewall completely out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I learned a hard and slightly painful lesson recently to stick with proven trusted and reputable brands

OP
OP
Aelwulf

Aelwulf

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I need to do the serious homework now but looks like it'll probably come down to the Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT, Nitto Terra Grappler or Nitto Ridge Grappler.

When the time comes the wheels are likely going to be Black Rhino Armorys or Arsenals, or AEV Saltas. Leaning towards the AEVs. Bit more rubber on same diameter tire, and as much as I like the look the Rhinos have to be a pain to clean.

Thanks again for the input (and the tire guy while getting the leak fixed).

CincyCuda68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cuda, I think aelwulf is right. I as well was confused with your post. Terra is a mild all terrain, ridge is a hybrid all terrain/ off road so slightly more aggressive but not as aggressive as the full off road trail graps
Ahhh yes, my mind was reading Terra and Thinking Trail Grap.
In any event from everything I researched the Ridge have the longest lifetime if rotated regularly.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3000 miles on KO2s. Nope.

View attachment 154004

Well my gosh, if they wernt on a damn Furd they probably would have stood a chance.

In all seriousness, its a pic of a flat tire. Every brand has had a flat. It dosnt say why it went flat. Maybe someone sliced it with a knife? Maybe the goofball Furd owner was running low air pressure and checked a curb?

Regardless, I have been running the Falken AT3W for a but now on my Power wagon, 35x12.5/17. Been a great tire in the northern Michigan snow so far. No complaints at all.

78B2BB1A-6139-4322-9342-767E580B6CA1.jpeg

2F0AC86A-EAA0-4951-8759-88874C8C27A6.jpeg

E925718B-ED95-4FD7-A8F7-194D0BBDFF5B.jpeg

HDHNTER

US AIR FORCE VETERAN OEF - OIF
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
In all seriousness, its a pic of a flat tire. Every brand has had a flat. It dosnt say why it went flat. Maybe someone sliced it with a knife? Maybe the goofball Furd owner was running low air pressure and checked a curb?

Far more than simply a flat tire. It came apart like a bad retread, catastrophic structural failure.

56PW17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well my gosh, if they wernt on a damn Furd they probably would have stood a chance.

Regardless, I have been running the Falken AT3W for a but now on my Power wagon, 35x12.5/17. Been a great tire in the northern Michigan snow so far. No complaints at all.

View attachment 154134

View attachment 154132

View attachment 154133

How is this tire is the rain?

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
I've wanted the glorious virtue of michelins all my adult life. If only they made an all terrain for me

When did Michelin quit making the Defender LTX A/T?
Thought they still had that thing. Even considered it, time or two,b ut realized I did not want the whine and the M/S have only got me stuck, once, adn that was my fault. Studded SNows woulda got stuck too, when you park on top of an Artesan Well, on a 25% grade.

DarthMegaHD

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4 MegaCab 4x4 Black Edition
When did Michelin quit making the Defender LTX A/T?
Thought they still had that thing. Even considered it, time or two,b ut realized I did not want the whine and the M/S have only got me stuck, once, adn that was my fault. Studded SNows woulda got stuck too, when you park on top of an Artesan Well, on a 25% grade.
By for me I meant in my size

RAM_Designs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
My dad and I both run Terra Grappler G2's on our 2500's, he got 55k out of his and I'm at 55k on mine with another 5k or so left in them. Great quiet A/T tire that drives smooth but still have some aggressiveness to it.

JimmyO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I recently bought Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT 125s E/10 Ply 285 60/R20 to replace the stock tires on my 2017 Ram 1500. (Found them new on EBay, with free delivery, $200 less than anyone around me.)

The extra width and grip are an definite upgrade! Also, I didn’t want to buy new wheels, and these fit and look great on the stock rims, with no need to adjust the TPMS either. Drives on wet pavement as if it is still dry. Cannot give an opinion about ice or snow, I do not live where that happens.

boblonben

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was hoping the Crapstone stock tires would last at least 3 years of maybe 7k/year miles, but they're wearing too quick and one already has a slow leak I need to get fixed (haven't seen a nail or anything but could be possible).

Since wheel funds won't be available yet, what are thoughts on comparisons between the tires in the poll? Any missing I should be considering. I know there's ST Maxx fans but so far the mileage/look don't strike me as the ones.

I had BFG A-T T/A KOs on my 1500 for years and loved them in sand, wet, snow, and even ice (although a bit slick). I've read some on here that those seem to wear faster on the HDs but including them for comparison. I'm kind of leaning towards the Coopers at the moment after reading a bit on here, but open to any views.

All of these claim to fit stock on the truck at 285/60R20 (per tiresize.com). All are 55-65k warranties. All E-rated, should be 10 ply. I mostly drive street with some off-road/towing on occasion so don't need huge mud tires.

Also curious if anyone thinks there'd be a reliability/ride/wear difference (aside from going up a size) going from roughly 33" on stock 20s to 35" on AEV Salta 17s/Black Rhino 18s between the brands or if it'd matter.

Thanks!
BFG Rugged Terrain T/A are the BEST !!!!

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
That bfg looks like a lot of commercial truck tires when they run on a flat for too long or have a blowout with a heavy load on. I don't run bfg any more, but I did for years and only had 1 failure. Tread separation from a large pothole, but it still held air. I was a little pissed when they wouldn't warranty it as they were only on the truck a month. At least the replacement tire had the same amount of wear as the other 3 because it was a new set

blade

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
the raised white letters on bfgs look great but for me they only last 30k

the nitro grappler g2 last longer 40k or more and do well towing and w a load n the bed. bfgs are better off road

JRitz187

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've got about 70K miles on a set of Toyo RT's, they've been awesome. Love the look and as quiet an A/T tire ive ever heard

Marlin Mike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I put the Cooper AT3 on the wifes 17 1500 and on my 18 1500. I had them on my 13 45000 miles with great traction in snow ice and probably more time on dirt gravel and 2 tracks than pavement. Will be buying them again and again for the UP of Michigan

Snacktime

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I went with Nitto Awt as I found a deal I couldn't pass up.

I would buy them again, but Cooper's are my next set just to try something different. I am getting 30k out of a set (my truck eats tires).

275/65/20 look good and fit stock. Look even better on a leveled truck!

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
I just replaced my factory tires about a month ago with Cooper ATP's. They are made exclusively for Tire Discounters. Very similar to the AT3 but were about $40 less per tire. I absolutely love them! Thought they would be louder than the TransForce but they are actually quieter, ride better, & handle better. The only thing I was right about, is I figured since they were more of a aggressive tire that they would do better in the snow & mud. And they do... we have had 10 & 12" snows & they have done very well. Not great on wet surfaces but still much better than the TransForce that came on it.

Cooper ATP.jpg

swexlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Subscribed. I need to replace my tires in the spring and will probably go with the Michelin MS Defenders. Had Michelin before (on cars and trucks) and while a little more expensive, I think they're some of the best tires made.