McGaughys 2/4 and towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GetBentMustard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I wasn't entirely sure if this should be in lowered or towing but I figured the lowered guys would know. My truck like stated is on the McGaughys 2/4 eco kit and I will be towing a 2800lb car this weekend. Its a deal I couldnt pass up and woudlnt be able to order the helper bags and have them installed before. It's about a 5 1/2 trip one way. Has anyone towed a vehicle or anything on a 2/4 drop and not had the helper bags?

Thanks!

OP
OP
G

GetBentMustard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If anyone has any advice please let me know!! I'm headed up in two days and am looking for some kind of reassurance :)

Thanks!

BlkRamRt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
If you can get those bags in there before you go it would be a big help. I would check to see if there is a store near you that might have them off the shelf like a 4wheelparts or similar.

jabrams00

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Moes Performance is fast shipping.

Sent from my iPhone7++

OP
OP
G

GetBentMustard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My problem is I work until Saturday evening leaving me no time to install the bags. Purchasing them is no problem. I'm just seeing if anyone has towed a decent bit with the drop without bags.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I don't have the kit but I do have car towing experience. What type of trailer are you useing length ect. If it's a longer trailer 18-20 you'll be fine just load it back keep the weight off the truck. Typically when I tow my truck sits level so you'll want 1-2 in of squat on your lowers truck. If you don't have enough tounge weight your trailer is going to want to wag. If you are useing a 16 ft it'll be tuff to get it loaded right but I think it'll be ok. If you are renting a u haul you really need to try to find some bags uhaul trailers are ushually pretty short not giving you room to adjust the trailer load.

OP
OP
G

GetBentMustard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't have the kit but I do have car towing experience. What type of trailer are you useing length ect. If it's a longer trailer 18-20 you'll be fine just load it back keep the weight off the truck. Typically when I tow my truck sits level so you'll want 1-2 in of squat on your lowers truck. If you don't have enough tounge weight your trailer is going to want to wag. If you are useing a 16 ft it'll be tuff to get it loaded right but I think it'll be ok. If you are renting a u haul you really need to try to find some bags uhaul trailers are ushually pretty short not giving you room to adjust the trailer load.

Yeah it will be with a uhaul trailer actually. I have the access to a enclosed trailer but really don't wan't to use it until i have helper bags so i still the uhaul being my best bet. Hopefully someone else who has tried this can chime in.. But thanks man! Any input is appreciated!

chrisb38002

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Only thing I could suggest is try to keep the weight of the car as far back on the trailer as possible. I know u-haul trailers are not built for best weight distribution, they are kind of front-heavy. Try backing the car onto the trailer if possible, that would help put more weight (engine) to the rear.
If you are going to be on mostly level roads or highways, you should be fine. Just take it easy over larger dips or bumps so you won't bottom out.

Statcher1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Your going to have some squat. I tow my dads tractor that weighs darn near what that car does. If not more on a 16ft trailer. And I have some squat until I air my bags up. Your best bet will be to back the car on. And keep as much weight as possible over the trailer axles. Or else you will be riding your bump stops the whole way home.

Sent from the Rocket in my Pocket

OP
OP
G

GetBentMustard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
After speaking with Moes Performance I decided I'd rather spend the 2 hours to atleast revert the rear back to the stock set-up to tow the vehicle home. In the next few weeks i'll be picking up some helper bags so this doesn't have to be done again though. I was on the New Jersey Turnpike and then some horrible roads in New York as well so I would have been slamming the bumpstops the entire time. Talk about some tolls though my god. $200 in tolls one way:flipthebird:... never again

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
After speaking with Moes Performance I decided I'd rather spend the 2 hours to atleast revert the rear back to the stock set-up to tow the vehicle home. In the next few weeks i'll be picking up some helper bags so this doesn't have to be done again though. I was on the New Jersey Turnpike and then some horrible roads in New York as well so I would have been slamming the bumpstops the entire time. Talk about some tolls though my god. $200 in tolls one way:flipthebird:... never again

Yikes! $200 in tolls that's crazy. Thanks for the update.

OP
OP
G

GetBentMustard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know! All because I brought that trailer up with me. But no problem! I'm debating starting a hauling while lowered thread. Just lowered rigs doing there thing. It would really provide some good info for anyone new to towing and lowered or to showboat haha