MDS override

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikz86ta

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have real alot ot threads about tuners, mds, and how to disable it. Even some asking if tow-haul disables it. I myself am ok with the improved mileage. It did take a little getiing used to it kicking in and out at different times.
Anyways I stumbled onto a discovery a few nights ago on the way home but not sure if its a 'known' thing. I have the 8speed. I was cruising and it was in mds (ECO) lit up on the cluster. I hit the manual gear - button and it dropped to 7th gear and mds kicked off. No big suprise. I clicked up shift to 8th still in manual mode. Mds/Eco never came back on for the rest of my drive. I clicked up shift once more while in 8th and manual mode went away. With std auto mode back on, mds/eco re appeared.
So mds doesnt work in manual mode I guess.
I realize u have to do this every drive and to be in manual all the time is a pita.....but on a cruise or roadtrip it could be an option since u would be in 8th gear for an extended period of time

preachp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi mikz86ta,

Youa re not really in a manual mode. Your transmission will down and up shift normally but your MDS will not kick in. At least that is my understanding and I know it is how the 65 works.

preachp

Alex

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Mustang GT
Engine
If it works like the manumatic does in my 6sp 2012, whatever gear you select is the highest gear the tranny will shift to. For example, you've got a trailer hooked up and you're coming up to a corner. You can tell the tranny to drop to, say, 4th by hitting the shift down button till 4 is shown as your selected gear, letting you do a lil bit of engine braking. Only time I've noticed the tranny shift to a gear above the one I've selected is when it bounces off the rev limiter

Alex

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Mustang GT
Engine
For instance, the 6 speed trans I have is known to have a weak 3rd gear, because it is the gear it drops to if you floor it at highway speed. If I want to pass someone in a hurry I will tell it to shift down to 3rd before hitting the skinny pedal, that way it's both faster to get going, and I'm not mutilating the gear from it doing a WOT downshift. Pretty handy system overall

09TRX4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In Chargerland they all just drive with auto stick and the MDS never kicks in. When I got my Ram I tried it out. Same thing! Especially if you have an aftermarket exhaust. Just hit the manual button or whatever you want to call it once you get on the highway and your MDS won't kick in while cruising making your truck sound like a little 4 banger!

hunter99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I use the manual shift and put it in 6th when driving slower around town or in traffic. I don't mind the MDS myself but find it kicks in at way too low of speeds. I would love the ability to set the speeds it would come on. Probably 55 to 60 mph and I would be happy.