MDS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mordanger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I recently put a BRAND NEW 5.7L Hemi in my 2014. Coming from MOPAR it has the MDS system in it and I can't break into the engine because that will void the lifetime warranty through MOPAR.
I have a Edge CTS3 tuner on it that can disable the MDS system, will this cause issues?

Attachments

• 20221126_173932.jpg
    20221126_173932.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 24
  • 20221126_173912.jpg
    20221126_173912.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 24

Cmz2800

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Damn. Was this some type of warranty?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I recently put a BRAND NEW 5.7L Hemi in my 2014. Coming from MOPAR it has the MDS system in it and I can't break into the engine because that will void the lifetime warranty through MOPAR.
I have a Edge CTS3 tuner on it that can disable the MDS system, will this cause issues?
I think as soon as you use your tuner to turn off MDS you'll void your warrenty.They can tell it's had a tuner on it,if you have a big enough warrenty claim,and they go digging.MDS hasn't been proven to hurt the lifters if that's your reason for disabling it. You can bypass the mds by manually shifting it to 8th if you have the 8 speed,supposedly on the 5/6 speed trucks,putting it in tow/haul mode also disables mds,but i can't confirm that

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Use Tow/haul

OP
OP
Mordanger

Mordanger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Damn. Was this some type of warranty?
No, purchased it straight as my original hemi died 3,500 miles out of warranty.

And when I bought the engine from Mopar they explained to me I can do ANY bolt-ons, add-ons, tunes, etc and it will not void the warranty. They said the only thing that will void the warranty is if I tear into the long block.

And if the long block has a failure I take it to a dealership, pay a $100 deductible and they fix it lol...

And yes, that's all in writing lol..

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter

And when I bought the engine from Mopar they explained to me I can do ANY bolt-ons, add-ons, tunes, etc and it will not void the warranty. They said the only thing that will void the warranty is if I tear into the long block.

And if the long block has a failure I take it to a dealership, pay a $100 deductible and they fix it lol...

On my 2014 six speed transmission I selected sixth gear using the gear select (+/-) on the column shifter. I had to repeat this procedure each time I put the truck in park/neutral/reverse ... I got used to doing it and considered it a normal daily driving practice.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

Hate to tell you anything,but they were lying to you about modding it and still having warrenty,especially if you tune it.The dealer will tell you what they think you want to hear,but Ma Mopar will over ride the dealer,and won't honour the dealers word.
Dealer can put it in writing all they want,but that doesn't mean squat when it comes to the warrenty being honoured by FCA/Stellentis

OP
OP
Mordanger

Mordanger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Hate to tell you anything,but they were lying to you about modding it and still having warrenty,especially if you tune it.The dealer will tell you what they think you want to hear,but Ma Mopar will over ride the dealer,and won't honour the dealers word.
Dealer can put it in writing all they want,but that doesn't mean squat when it comes to the warrenty being honoured by FCA/Stellentis
Ma MOPAR is who I bought the engine from direct. Never dealt with a dealer or third party...

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Ma MOPAR is who I bought the engine from direct. Never dealt with a dealer or third party...
I've bought a couple engines and transmissions from Ma Mopar,nowhere did it say you could modify them and still have warrenty.To retain the warrenty you had to have an accredited shop install them was about all they ever said. Lets see this thing in writing that says you can tune it or modify it and still have warrenty

PA Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Idk, I've had my truck 2 years now, previous ram was pre mds and haven't ever even noticed when mds kicked in. Maybe it's because I have a heavy foot

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Doesn't the MDS solenoids have to be blocked off physically and then tuned out.
That's the proper way to do it,but if he bought a 5.7 for a manual transmission Challenger,it'll already have the block off plugs installed. The manual transmission 5.7 and 6.4 Challengers are mds delete right from Ma Mopar

DubC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Disabling mds function isn't going to prolong the life of any components.
this seems to be the crux of the argument. who really knows?? you'd think engineers, after all these years, would not put a function in an engine if they had any idea that it could cause premature failures.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
this seems to be the crux of the argument. who really knows?? you'd think engineers, after all these years, would not put a function in an engine if they had any idea that it could cause premature failures.

People have pointed out failure rates for pre-MDS Hemis and MDS hemis are pretty samey-same. Fleet records seem to agree. That has lead most of us to conclude MDS isn't an issue for longevity and isn't the cause of any of the common failures. If there is any difference, it's so tiny it's swallowed up by other variables.

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
GM has trouble with AFM lifters failing, they collapse and don't come back.

Hemis fail due to wear/lubrication.

Without overanalyzing every single detail or case we've ever heard about, that's the long and short of it.

MDS IS NOT THE PROBLEM.