Minnesota tire recommendation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

akvanden

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Laramie 1500 4WD
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looking to replace my current 275/60/20 Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmors on my completely stock '10 Laramie Crew. Wondering how/if much better these are than the regular SR-As and whether the price difference is worth it?!? Or, should I be looking at a different brand altogether that others are running? Need to deal well with the snow in the winter when I'm pulling my sleds around. Thanks!

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Toyo Open Country ATII and Nitto Terra Grappler are a couple that have done very well in snow and ice conditions. For the price of those silent armours you could probably get a spare also.

N1ck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Look into duratrac, fierce attitude and Kelly Safari tsr. They are all a Goodyear tire with a very similar footprint, unreal on ice and snow here in Canada. Mpg will suffer due to the aggressive tread pattern tho.

OP
OP
A

akvanden

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Laramie 1500 4WD
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I guess I should clarify. I don't do any offroading so I don't need anything too aggressive. Also would rather not sacrifice roadnoise or MPGs....

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I like the BFG All Terrain but you cannot get them in the stock 20 size. A very good option is the Toyo Open Country AT2 and the Cooper AT3. I don't think the Toyo or the Cooper will be even close on longevity compared to BFG but they are probably $300-$400 cheaper than the BFG too. I live in MN as well so I know what you are looking for. I can't stand Goodyear so I could not buy the Duratrac despite seemingly good reviews. I don't know what you want for load range either as you cannot get a p series BFG AT one reason they are more. SRA and the Hp Wranglers are garbage.

$miley

InspectGWS

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 JEEP GC SRT8
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Another vote for the BFG's...I worked in St. Paul Park and Cottage Grove and lived in Woodbury, Minnesota for about three years and ran 275/60 R20 BFGoodrich Long Trail T/A Tour - excellent wet and snow traction...never even had to rotate them.

tjs529

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 8 speed
I ran Michelin LTX M/S2 and they are great in the winters and good on gas.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I love the LTX M/S2 so damn expensive but insane tread life.

$miley

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Only reason I wouldn't go with Michelin or bfg is a very hard rubber compound. Great on tread life and just snow but when it comes to ice things can get a little hairy.

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Stay away from bfg ats, I had them on my Commander and they were **** in upstate NY winters.. If I were going with an AT my vote gets Nitto or Toyos, even the General grabber ats that are similar to the bfgs are a great tire for winter and are really affordable

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
They are indeed hard probably why they outlast others. I have not had issues on ice and find them to be better than the HP the truck came with on all conditions. I can't compare to the SRA because I have not had them on my Ram. Every all season will have trade offs so you will have to decide which features are most important of tread life is first Michelin and BFG should be in talks. If you just want a sweet tread and a lot of grip but less tread life the Toyo is really good and Nitto too. I don't like spending all that money on tires only to do it again in 40 to 45k. Affordable upfront is different than affordable long term. You have to calculate it out.

$miley

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I hear ya smiley, BFG's are what goes on my dads 2500 cause they just last specially when he is towing, but I do have to say the toyo's will hold their own with milage. They now come with a 65k mile warranty on them and even the E load range has a 50k warranty and last set I had ran out to 55k without any issues.
I should cavet that with I rotate and take care of my tires as best as possible as with prices they have become more of an investment than just regular repair items. IMO best thing for all of us no matter what brand of tire is being ran is how are people getting them to run out to the 60k range and past that.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Definitely rotations and alignment are vital. The All Terrain has no tread warranty but I have never been a fan of tire warranty because if they do wear out they prorate them and get you into the same tire your probably didn't like anyway. No this time around you would be paying for that tire at a percentage but who wants to pay any percentage of something they don't even believe in. I really like a load range E tire I don't feel the ride is much different and they are much better for towing. You also get less flats because of things puncturing the tire it seems.

$miley

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Only reason I like Toyo's warranty is they stand by it like no other company. I know the company I worked for more or less gave you the tire if there was a manufaturer defect and toyo would give them a new tire to replace the one they gave away.

Little Red

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Before I sold it, I ran cooper at/3's on my '98 Ranger plow truck, last winter. I plowed our driveway, all the neighbors, and most of the road (town trucks plow our road last) without once having a tire spin, or the truck sliding.

BOWERSFJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Another vote for the Toyo AT2's . . . I can't believe how quiet they are for an AT tire, and I replaced Silent Armours with these . . . The Toyo's are such a better tire

BlackRamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I've only had my General Grabber AT2's for two weeks, but very impressed so far.

Replaced my 305/50R20 Nitto Terra Grapplers that went bald within 25k miles
...and cost a whopping $420 ea to replace in Canada (before mount/balance)

My Grabbers' were $263 (Canadian Tire 4 for price of 3 sale)
and have a 60k mile treadwear warranty.

Can't wait to see how they perform in the snow (Snow Peak Rated)

newshoes3_zpsfcb81be7.jpg

newskins_zpsdb1a36c2.jpg

retro2_zps2f7601e2.jpg

Not Minnesota, but we've been known to get some of that white crap here too...
Snow014.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

akvanden

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Laramie 1500 4WD
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ended up going with the Michelin M/S2 after reading comments on here and other reviews. After rebates, installed for $810. Seemed to be a pretty good deal after reading how expensive they were. I'll give some feedback after I drive on them for awhile.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Ended up going with the Michelin M/S2 after reading comments on here and other reviews. After rebates, installed for $810. Seemed to be a pretty good deal after reading how expensive they were. I'll give some feedback after I drive on them for awhile.
That is supposed to be a great tire where did you get them?

OP
OP
A

akvanden

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Laramie 1500 4WD
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The Rochester Ford QuickLane. Was $950 with taxes, then there are two $70 mail in rebates through Dec 8th.

Only thing I don't like is the fact that I couldn't get the raised white lettering. Oh well.