MOPAR extended warrantees????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rbertalotto

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I bought a 2018 RAM 2500 / Tradesman / 6.4L gas in July 2018. I now have 22,043 miles on it and these extended warrantees are looking good.

7 year / Unlimited Mileage with $100 deductible is offered direct from MOPAR for $2590

Seems like a no brainer when I look at all that is covered

What say the forum? Any real world experience with these warrantees?

Why wouldn't I but it?

Thanks!

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The Mopar extended warranties are probably the only ones I would ever buy (and I did, actually). Lots of people disagree with buying extended warranties overall, but if you really wanted one, only the Mopar ones would be what I would recommend.

FWIW you can probably do better on price for that one, there are usually discount codes out on the internet or just contacting some of the warranty sellers and mentioning RAM Forum helps too.

Steve Foulks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Extended warranties are RAM's highest profit margin item, which means they are a bad deal for you. Someone earlier said they are a wash. Nothing could be further from the truth. When RAM makes a lot of money, it is the customer's who pays that money, it doesn't fall from the sky.

I am not saying that insurance to protect you from catastrophes is a bad idea, what I am saying is that extended warranties are way overpriced. How many of you would think nothing of paying $10 a gallon for gas today? You all understand gas pricing, and realize that would be way too high. How many of you understand the economics of extended warranties? When you buy these extended warranties, you are, in essence, paying $10 a gallon for gas. If I told you that the average extended warranty costs RAM $100 and they charge $1,000 each, you would probably think their profit is excessive. Guess what guys that is what they are doing. There are going to be a few people who will tell you about how much the extended warranty saved them once, just like you will read about how rich a state lottery made some individual, but what about all of the rest who paid big bucks and got nothing in return?

One of the things to note is what they don't cover. Like all insurance they have exclusions. Many of them have conditions (like going in for a check up on a certain date) that you must comply with, which many people forget.

Most products tend to fail initially, if they are faulty, and then much later when they wear out. In between they generally perform flawlessly. Guess what period the extended warranty covers - that flawless period.

I have had many new cars and products during my lifetime and the only ones that I can think of that failed during the extended warranty period was a computer monitor.

In summary, extended warranties are a very, very bad buy overall for consumers. Instead of buying them, invest the extended warranty money yourself and self-insure. In the long run you will be much further ahead.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think the exception to "too expensive" is (was) the lifetime warranty. Yes its a big nut to crack at once, but depending on your vehicle usage and owning habits, it might be worth more than others in the end.

I regularly keep my vehicles for 10+ years. Hell my 8 year old G37 only has 33K miles on it. So, the 2600 I paid for the lifetime warranty spread out over just 10 years is 260/yr, or ~23/month.

Is it *cheap*? Up front, all at once, no. But over 10 years it cost me 23/month, which in the grand scheme of monthly bills is pretty much static. Now if I sell the truck off, then Ill lose even more than normal (you can recoup some of the $$$ pro-rated but I havent asked how much), its just a gamble I take with buying the warranty.

As far as is it worth it in regards to repairs....2600 is easy to spend on a major thing. And I get that "major things" dont happen often, but just one transmission or engine issue and Ive more than covered the cost. Lifters wiping out cams? "Lifetime" fluid in a complex transmission? Not to mention all of the electronics (how much is that head unit again?)

I feel like "you always lose" is not necessarily the answer.

OP
OP
R

Rbertalotto

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I NEVER buy extended warrantees......But I just bought a 7 year / Unlimited milage MOPAR warrantee from
Tom Winkels at Hayes Jeep in Kalamazoo MI. Easily the best price I could find. Around $2000. Modern vehicles are EXTREMELY expensive to repair. A simple AC failure is just under $1000. Transmission could be $5000! Nevermind what an engine replacement would cost. ( had to replace both AC and Transmission on my 2006 so I am very accurate on prices)

I bought my 2018, 2500 6.4L in July and I already have 24,000 miles on it and I'm 3300 miles from home. The 36,000 factory warrantee will be gone by mid summer. In this case, It's a no brainer!

OMW2SKI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm not generally a fan of extended warranties. We bought a new travel trailer at the RV show last weekend. The warranty proposal for our new TT was a rip-off! No thank you. However, I bought the Lifetime Maxcare contract for my 2018 Big Horn. It cost roughly $2,500. If I keep this truck for 7-10 years, I can't imagine the Maxcare not paying for itself. I realize these are a profit center for MOPAR. But they're banking on my selling it totalling the truck - not on it never needing work. In my opinion, it's good piece of mind.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Never bought one for any of the trucks I owned, until this one. My WIfe's vehicles always get them I travel and when something goes wrong, she takes it into a dealership, gets her rental and it gets fixed. I don;t get any Wife Headaches. Life is good.

Bought one for the truck because it is not solid front axle, has far too much new electronics vs my 99 2500, and is more car like than my old trucks.

Every warranty I ever bought paid for itself.
My Hope is this one does not and I will be happy.
Like my life insurance, got it, for if I need it, but never want to use it.
Are they a Sound Financial Investment? Probably not.
Again, don't give a hoot. I wanted it, for the Wife, and they worked like a charm.
Never got my head bit off because a vehicle failed.
PLUS< they always paid for themselves
and this little truckette had me worried.

regarding being an profit center for the company, yes, it;s true.
so too is every dealership lot, every service dept.
companies that do not make a profit don;t tend to stay in business.
Ram used to offer unlimited time/mileage warranties.
they stopped offering that product because they know their trucks will have problems, at some point.

Bottom line, want to pay, now, or when the problem occurs/

Micheal Burnett

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I ordered a new '19 Ram 1500 Laramie, first Mopar I've ever owned. Always been a Ford man. It's supposed to arrive in ten days. There is enough on this blog alone to make me purchase an extended warranty.

The F250 I own now, I bought new and have had for 20 years. 'm sure that I'll get my monies worth out of the price.

Irish.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 trademans upgrade
Engine
Never extended warranty any for the past 23 yrs on any brand trucks until the last one a gmc 2016 lifter issue eats my money, it was past my factory warranty. So since i got the new ram1500 trademan, i know in three years or 4, i will past the 60k mile mark. I will be retiring in 6 yrs, i want this truck to last, so brought the max care. I still got a car which is my main road beater got 7 yr/ 100k miles plan from,toyota.
The cost of repairing the gmc is heffy. With some safe gaurd of extend warranty helps. Yeah i know it tends to be pricey, i talked to my local mechanic, the mopar deal is very good. Its not really overprice imo.

Jrod

USAF 1997-2008
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport
Engine
Good call! I bought that same plan for my 16 with 45k miles last week. My only suggestion would be to wait closer till your factory plan is about to end. The reason is in case they bring the lifetime plan back. They've discontinued it and brought it back over the years. The lifetime plans were only a couple hundred dollars more. Also, it won't cost anymore to wait. What you pay for the plan after 12k miles is the same at 48k miles. I'm about to hit 46k and I was currently out of warranty, which is why I picked mine up now.

LiveBreatheAdapt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Longhorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can only speak from my personal experience - purchased lifetime on 2014 Longhorn (think $2700). Love my truck but it was a lemon from the start (hence waiting to order 2019 Longhorn if they open up ivory with rv walnut brown). After 36,000 miles they've repaired my vehicle for NUMEROUS things which would add to over $6000 if I didn't have the extended warranty. I'm retired so plan on keeping the new one forever (unfortunately lifetime is gone so hopefully it comes back). 2012 COD MW3 JEEP also with lifetime and never selling for that reason. So far they've replaced my bumpers, radiator, some chassis parts etc so again - cost me nothing yet those alone added up would've been over $10,000 instead of deductible. So in my opinion - ABSOLUTELY WORTH IT!! "But" he is correct - don't need to purchase immediately, you can wait and save cost which is what I plan too do this time around; hoping lifetime is reintroduced ;)

Clayvis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8
Wow...lots to ponder here. I just bought a 2018 Ram 1500 Laramie. It was a lease vehicle with 44k on the ticker. The finance guy was in a big rush to go home, so he just threw the warranty at me for around $2700. Told him I needed to do some research first.
I am basically a mechanic...never employed as such, but wrenching on all motorized things for 50+ years. So I usually save big $$$ on doing repairs myself.
However, the COST of replacement parts is scary. I like to think most of the major parts will NOT fail for a long time. Also, we commute from Florida to North Carolina a good bit. So, if something breaks on the road, I can't work my magic...
On the other side, I have always viewed extended warranties as a money suck. Think of it as a "gamble" where the House is the Dealership. Do you know who always wins in Las Vegas? So not really sure which way to go....I see both sides.

Njt07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 v8 etorque
Dont own a Ram... yet, but I bought the jeep equivalent in 2016 (5 year Mopar) and its paid for itself in replacing the head unit, fixing the ac lines, and starter. Didn't cover the spark plugs when the something something leaked oil on the spark plugs... or something.

I figure if you pay more than the bare minimum for insurance, then the extended warranty is a no brainer. For me, I equate insurance to extended warranty.

Clayvis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8
[e extended warranty is a no brainer. For me, I equate insurance to extended warranty.[/QUOTE]

Well yeah, but to be legal, you MUST have insurance. Plus no bank will give you a loan without it. Not so on extended warranties.

I think of it as a "gamble". You, the truck owner are betting that something expensive WILL go wrong at some point during the warranty. The dealership, or house, is betting nothing will go wrong. They have to be right a majority of the time or they would go out of business. Like prayer, if it brings you peace of mind, go for it! Since I can perform a wide variety or repairs myself, I'm leaning against it...

condor767

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
2019 Bighorn 5.7 with 11700 miles... today I just bought an 8 year/85000 mile/$100 deductible Mopar extended warranty from Zeigler for $1430. Best price I’ve found to date. Zeigler has a promo code, “payinfull” that knocks $365 off the price (it was $1700 and change originally.) I put around 10,000 miles per year so 8/85 made sense for me.

I too was wary about extended warranties but after I’ve seen all the electronics in these trucks plus the 4 issues I’ve had since new, it was a no brainer for me for that price. Equates to around $24/month for peace of mind for the next 7 years.

Keep in mind that the longer you wait and closer you get to your basic 3 year/36000 mile factory warranty, the higher the price for the extended warranty. I think it starts going uo after 12,000 miles... I’m glad I did it now.

Check out Zeigler, I think they have the lowest price.

chryslerfactoryplans.com

condor767

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Good call! I bought that same plan for my 16 with 45k miles last week. My only suggestion would be to wait closer till your factory plan is about to end. The reason is in case they bring the lifetime plan back. They've discontinued it and brought it back over the years. The lifetime plans were only a couple hundred dollars more. Also, it won't cost anymore to wait. What you pay for the plan after 12k miles is the same at 48k miles. I'm about to hit 46k and I was currently out of warranty, which is why I picked mine up now.

I don’t think what you’re saying about mileage is true.. I believe the cost does go up as you approach the end of your factory warranty, up to 48,000 miles.

For example, I just ran the numbers for a Zeigler Mopar extended warranty at 25000 miles and it’s $400 more than what I paid for mine today, at 11,700 miles. ($1825 vs $1430) The higher the miles, the more the warranty costs.

Also, I’d love for the lifetime to come back but I highly doubt they will.

Clayvis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8
Who is this Ziegler you speak of. I want his number! The price you are talking for your warranty sounds reasonable. They wanted closer to $2700 on the 2018 I just bought. It has 44k on the odometer, so obviously I expect to pay more...but not a grand more.

chryslerfactoryplans.com[/QUOTE]

scott lass 18

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 ram 1500
Engine
2500 years ago but it paid for a lot of repairs so was worth it ! still have truck powertrain warranty paid for fuel injector and exhaust manifold warped but now ticking other side dealer says hear no sound ? right selective hearing going on sadly ! so hopefully a code will come up soon before it all craps out on me ? 60,000 miles on it now plain on keeping 5 more years ! so guess they say ok we will see ! not ever going back there again time for a new dealer to work with ! been working on cars 50 years what bs this place is ! but better to have something cuz autos breakdown and parts are going crazy for price now a days ok ! hope u find a good dealer ! was looking at a nice car there for my wife no way now !

condor767

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Who is this Ziegler you speak of. I want his number! The price you are talking for your warranty sounds reasonable. They wanted closer to $2700 on the 2018 I just bought. It has 44k on the odometer, so obviously I expect to pay more...but not a grand more.

chryslerfactoryplans.com
[/QUOTE]

For your mileage, that price is about right. The price goes up a lot after you pass the factory 3yr/36k. Mine was so low because my truck only has 11,700 miles. The lowest prices will be found before the truck hits 12,000.

Last edited: