Mopar Vehicle Protection/Extended Coverage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

17Veteran76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just got a letter in the mail from FCA shilling their extended protection plans. Basically extend the 36,000 mile 3/year to 8 years and 125,000 miles.

I googled what it all covers and there a tiered plans. But there are no prices.

My question is does anyone have one? If so, have you used it? What's it cost? Does anyone recommend it? Or would a non mopar plan be better?

My dealer already gives a 'limited' lifetime power train warranty.

http://www.springfieldchryslerautomart.com/limited-lifetime-powertrain-warranty/

What say y'all gents and ladies?

patchelect

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The extended warranty has its merits, but you have to decide if it suits you. Are you planning on keeping the truck for an extended period or move on in 3-4 years? I bought a CPO last summer and have zero plans on selling it (my previous two trucks were in my possession for a total of over 25 years) so I purchased the Lifetime bumper to bumper unlimited mileage for a few grand. To me it will be worth it the first time an electronic thing goes south since the truck is a '14 and I'm nearing 50K at the moment. If your plans are to keep the truck and/or drive the heck out of while you own it, then consider the plan, And by all means go to Clay. He's offering the best deal and many here, including this old fart, have gone through him. The warranty is FCA, not "Acme we'll cover everything EXCEPT~~~"

OP
OP
17Veteran76

17Veteran76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The extended warranty has its merits, but you have to decide if it suits you. Are you planning on keeping the truck for an extended period or move on in 3-4 years? I bought a CPO last summer and have zero plans on selling it (my previous two trucks were in my possession for a total of over 25 years) so I purchased the Lifetime bumper to bumper unlimited mileage for a few grand. To me it will be worth it the first time an electronic thing goes south since the truck is a '14 and I'm nearing 50K at the moment. If your plans are to keep the truck and/or drive the heck out of while you own it, then consider the plan, And by all means go to Clay. He's offering the best deal and many here, including this old fart, have gone through him. The warranty is FCA, not "Acme we'll cover everything EXCEPT~~~"
I definitely plan on keeping it unless an unforseen circumstance happens.

I am frugal as hell. I would also opt for the, lifetime max care.

I'm on the fence about it at the moment. Talked to my dad, he's had extended warranties on 5 vehicles and said he only used it on one. It cost him 1200, and the warranty was 1400 and he broke even in total cost with the deductible.

Doing a bunch of duckduckgo'ing

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

yortnodnarb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I definitely plan on keeping it unless an unforseen circumstance happens.

I am frugal as hell. I would also opt for the, lifetime max care.

I'm on the fence about it at the moment. Talked to my dad, he's had extended warranties on 5 vehicles and said he only used it on one. It cost him 1200, and the warranty was 1400 and he broke even in total cost with the deductible.

Doing a bunch of duckduckgo'ing

That's really the way warranties work and insurance for that matter. If you spend the money to have it, chances are good you'll never use it. Don't spend the money for it and you end up regretting it, it seems to be life's way of kicking you in the ****.

OP
OP
17Veteran76

17Veteran76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's really the way warranties work and insurance for that matter. If you spend the money to have it, chances are good you'll never use it. Don't spend the money for it and you end up regretting it, it seems to be life's way of kicking you in the ****.
I'm not so much worried about the cost rather them actually doing the repair and not finding some reason to deny the claim. There are nightmare stories.

Just for the peace of mind If get it. But will MOPAR actually hold their end of the contract up without being petty?

Jarhead57

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 4x4 CC Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Like most have said, depends on how long you keep the truck. I am keeping this one and not upgrading trucks anymore, so for me the lifetime gives some piece of mind for something big breaking that may or may not happen.

Mossybloak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Outdoorsman

This is why I've never purchased one and never will. If I can afford the cost of the plan today, plus the deductible I'd have to pay, I'm better off saving that money. It's there if I ever need it, and if not, I won't regret ******* away that money.

Last edited:

ScottFL

U.S. Navy Gulf War Vet
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 Laramie Longhorn 4X4
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Bought my lifetime from Clay as well, the peace of mind is worth it to me. Gonna keep this truck for a long time.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The cost of replacing a dropped lifter and cam shaft is in excess of 5 grand or so I have read. Plus all the electronics, the lifetime warranty is worth it if you plan on going to 100000 + miles. Just my 2 cents.

Mossybloak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Outdoorsman
So, for ***** and giggles I just got a quote on the FCA maximum care plan. It was $2700 through their website. I can't believe anyone would shell out that kind of money on a "what if" scenario but apparently people do. It's just one of those personal preference things. If I drop a lifter I'm definitely doing the MDS delete anyways which wouldn't be covered under an extended warranty.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The cost of replacing a dropped lifter and cam shaft is in excess of 5 grand or so I have read. Plus all the electronics, the lifetime warranty is worth it if you plan on going to 100000 + miles. Just my 2 cents.
I totally understand what you're saying and in the surface you're right. I just don't have the confidence that if I dropped a lifter with 60/70 k on it that they just wouldn't replace the 1 lifter and say see ya. If I could be assured that they would do the job right I might be more inclined to get the extended warranty.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I totally understand what you're saying and in the surface you're right. I just don't have the confidence that if I dropped a lifter with 60/70 k on it that they just wouldn't replace the 1 lifter and say see ya. If I could be assured that they would do the job right I might be more inclined to get the extended warranty.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

No doubt, if they can fix you up by replacing one lifter, that is what they will do. They also don't want to keep tearing your engine apart so there is incentive to fix correctly.