more top end

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Probably your cheapest option to re-gear is find a wrecked 2013+ 4X4 with either 3.55's or 3.92's and buy both diffs out of it.The front diff isn't a serviceable diff,you basically swap the whole diff if you want deeper gears.

So these are all the same from 2013 and up ?
Going to be doing my 2016 next year, 3:92s are what I am going to.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Changing gears for a 4x2 is a reasonable endeavor even considering the cost of the gears, install kit and labor involved. When you start doing 4x4's you would think that that would just kinda double the cost and in most cases you'd be pretty close. But not in the 4th Gen Rams. Like has be mentioned after 2013 to change gears you have to change the complete front differential, which can be really expensive. A few members have done it and I think one thread listed all the parts needed and all the costs involved----and it ain't cheap. If you can find an older model 4x4 at a salvage yard you may save some money by buying a used front differential, but as I remember, some other parts need to be changed out also. If you are working on a limited budget this might not be something you want to undertake right now. Wild One has given you some good information regarding this also.
Jay

OP
OP
W

Welder69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
there is a big salvage yard an hour up the road from were I live, I'll call there first if I can get my hands on some than mabe.PULL YA even if I do find the front and rear diff, sounds like there is still alot of money to be spent just to get the job done righ, starting to wonder might not be worth that and just stick to the long tube headers and Y pipe for now. I will be building the Y myself. Being a combo welder for 10 years seems like it will be easy to make.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'd look at some of the "y" pipes that different vendors have and then maybe pattern your own creation kinda like theirs. Once you check with the salvage yard about parts you can check with Matt at Moe's for the cost of the gears and install kits and then you might have a good idea of parts costs. That might tell you if you want to continue on and get a labor cost from a shop to do the work.
Jay

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
there is a big salvage yard an hour up the road from were I live, I'll call there first if I can get my hands on some than mabe.PULL YA even if I do find the front and rear diff, sounds like there is still alot of money to be spent just to get the job done righ, starting to wonder might not be worth that and just stick to the long tube headers and Y pipe for now. I will be building the Y myself. Being a combo welder for 10 years seems like it will be easy to make.

If you buy a 2013+ ZF front diff it's a straight swap,it's only if you want to go deeper then 3.92's,then you need the older AAM front diff,and it's a ***** to swap,as you need the drivers side motor mount and another bracket,plus the front driveshaft. The front diff is actually not bad to swap,i've swapped mine a couple times,by myself on my driveway with nothing more then a floor jack.In most cases it's cheaper to buy a complete rear diff with the gears you want,then it is to swap your existing gears in your original diff,plus you now have a complete rear diff you can sell to help recover some of your costs. If you have a decent selection of hand tools and an impact gun,and have a buddy to help you,you can swap both diffs on a driveway in a day.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
If you buy a 2013+ ZF front diff it's a straight swap,it's only if you want to go deeper then 3.92's,then you need the older AAM front diff,and it's a ***** to swap,as you need the drivers side motor mount and another bracket,plus the front driveshaft. The front diff is actually not bad to swap,i've swapped mine a couple times,by myself on my driveway with nothing more then a floor jack.In most cases it's cheaper to buy a complete rear diff with the gears you want,then it is to swap your existing gears in your original diff,plus you now have a complete rear diff you can sell to help recover some of your costs. If you have a decent selection of hand tools and an impact gun,and have a buddy to help you,you can swap both diffs on a driveway in a day.

This is what I plan on doing, great info and thanks.

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I have a 2015 4x4 with 3:21.... dealer quoted me about 5 k to go to 3:92, is that right ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
no thats crazy high, rear axle is jusy a normal swap out and the front diff new is not that bad.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I have a 2015 4x4 with 3:21.... dealer quoted me about 5 k to go to 3:92, is that right ?

Are you in Canada,if so,that's probably in the ballpark,if your Stateside,it's a bit steep.

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are you in Canada,if so,that's probably in the ballpark,if your Stateside,it's a bit steep.

New York :-( everything is expensive here.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
New York :-( everything is expensive here.

Go north an hour or 2 and you'll get to see really expensive,lol. I'd hunt around for a set of used diffs from a low milege wrecked truck,then find a small Mom and Pop style shop to install them,if you don't want to install a set of diffs yourself. I bought both front and rear diffs ( 18,000 miles on the diffs) for my 4X4 for $900.00 Canuck,from a wrecked truck,then spent another $2,000 Canuck putting a Detriot True Trac in the rear diff,and installed the diffs myself on my driveway.If I hadn't wanted the True Trac posi unit,i would of been into the swap for under a $1,000 Canuck,plus about 6hours of no cost labour,"me",lol.Plus I still have my original low milege 3.21 geared diffs to throw back in the truck when I decide to get rid of it.My truck is lowered with welded on Illicit Cut relocation brackets,so i'll keep these diffs to repurpose or sell when I put the originals back in.

Last edited:

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Go north an hour or 2 and you'll get to see really expensive,lol. I'd hunt around for a set of used diffs from a low milege wrecked truck,then find a small Mom and Pop style shop to install them,if you don't want to install a set of diffs yourself. I bought both front and rear diffs ( 18,000 miles on the diffs) for my 4X4 for $900.00 Canuck,from a wrecked truck,then spent another $2,000 Canuck putting a Detriot True Trac in the rear diff,and installed the diffs myself on my driveway.If I hadn't wanted the True Trac posi unit,i would of been into the swap for under a $1,000 Canuck,plus about 6hours of no cost labour,"me",lol.Plus I still have my original low milege 3.21 geared diffs to throw back in the truck when I decide to get rid of it.My truck is lowered with welded on Illicit Cut relocation brackets,so i'll keep these diffs to repurpose or sell when I put the originals back in.

Too bad ur not here id have u do it all for me ;-)

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Too bad ur not here id have u do it all for me ;-)

LOL i'm a bit North and West of you a bit,over here in Alberta,if you pick up the housings and bring them with you,we could probably put them in,lol

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Any reprogramming that needed to be done after the swap?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Any reprogramming that needed to be done after the swap?

Not with a gear swap,the only time you need to reprogram the truck is if you change tire sizes,ie going from a 33" tall tire to say a 35" tall tire,then you'd probably want to reprogram the computer.

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Awesome thanks for the help! I'll be searching some.junk yards for some front Axel's with 3:92 this week!

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The guy who figures out how to regear 3.21s cheaply, is going to make a lot of money.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Regear and cheaply are probably not going to be in the same sentence anytime soon, unless you do the work yourself. Wild one has probably done it as cheaply as anyone. If you have to change the gearing, setting up your gear tolerances needs to be done by someone that has lots of experience.
Jay

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Wild One you got a PM
Jay
Found it Jay,hopefully I replied right,the new board format isn't like the old format,so hopefully you got my reply.
Rick Wildman