Motorcycle thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike Flea

US ARMY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had a Suzuki/Lehman 800 trike up until a couple yrs ago, and many Harley's before it.

One day, after a long ride and a couple close calls, I lost my nerve, sold it, broke my heart. It was a great trike, loved it, just couldn't put up with the irresponsible idiots on cell phones any more.

Started out building chopper mini bikes at 16, rode until 58 on Honda's, Harley's, Triumph's and the 'Zuk. Just couldn't take the shaking after a ride anymore.suzukitrike.jpg

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
so many texting millenials and illegals driving around here that at my old age I am becoming less likely to ride in the metro area. I usually head out of town and I stay somewhat puckered up till I get clear of the city and get onto some nice country road. I usually like to ride with small group for extra visibility and a few of my riding buddies are LEO and we all carry when on the road. even if the wife and I are headed from ft. worth to say durango, co. or pagosa springs, I plan the route so as to stay off the interstate and bi-pass big towns.

Rebelrouser

Reaction score
Ram Year
'22 Ram 1500 GT
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've been riding bikes since I was 16-without a license- until 2015 when I bought my '00 Fatboy which then I had to get one. Rode that for a year and a half then traded it off for a '17 Slim S 110 SE. Recently had a 117 Stage IV kit installed in the bike- have the 110 parts for sale. I went from owning/building muscle cars to being bike crazy. Here in Canada our riding season's are short so I try to get out when I'm able. IMG_8373.JPG IMG_0254.JPG

VCorleone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L V6
I had a Suzuki/Lehman 800 trike up until a couple yrs ago, and many Harley's before it.

One day, after a long ride and a couple close calls, I lost my nerve, sold it, broke my heart. It was a great trike, loved it, just couldn't put up with the irresponsible idiots on cell phones any more.

Started out building chopper mini bikes at 16, rode until 58 on Honda's, Harley's, Triumph's and the 'Zuk. Just couldn't take the shaking after a ride anymore.View attachment 184175

Whenever I hear of someone having so many close calls, I wonder what they work on to reduce the number of instances. Lack of awareness on the level needed to be safer on two wheels is usually the issue, but we tend to blame the driver of the car rather than reflect on what we could do as a motorcycle operator to adjust.

Maybe if you think about some of your near misses, what you were doing / what you could change, you would be more in control and able to keep riding. There is always a tip off / a 'tell' that things could or are going to go bad. Recognizing them early gives you time to stay out of trouble, (proactive), vs. trying to get out of trouble, (reactive).

Mike Flea

US ARMY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Whenever I hear of someone having so many close calls, I wonder what they work on to reduce the number of instances. Lack of awareness on the level needed to be safer on two wheels is usually the issue, but we tend to blame the driver of the car rather than reflect on what we could do as a motorcycle operator to adjust.

Maybe if you think about some of your near misses, what you were doing / what you could change, you would be more in control and able to keep riding. There is always a tip off / a 'tell' that things could or are going to go bad. Recognizing them early gives you time to stay out of trouble, (proactive), vs. trying to get out of trouble, (reactive).

I understand about being proactive, I've been riding since I was 14. When I was stationed at Yuma Proving Grounds, from the front door of the barracks to the front door of my brother's house in Laguna Niguel, Ca is exactly 265 miles. I'd leave on a Friday after work, ride for 4 hours to get to his house. Sunday, I'd leave his house around 10am headed back to the Proving Grounds. Did that for 2 years, every single weekend, no matter the weather. In the winter time it was usually raining through the mountains, and crossing the desert getting buffeted by crosswinds. This was back in the early '80's, I was in my 20's, my reactions were spot on.

As I got older, my reaction times slowed down, couple back injuries, knee surgeries, foot surgeries, I was still riding.

I've had 4 friends die at the hands of teenagers that blew stop signs or just flat out weren't paying attention because they were on their phones. Make your comment to their families, see how that goes over with them. All of those guys were skilled riders.

5 years ago a rider was sitting stopped at a stop light, feet on the ground, wife sitting behind him on his dresser, and a middle aged woman slammed into them from behind, because she was putting on makeup, killed them both. Preach your advice to someone else, I don't want to hear it.

Jayc71

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Turbo Diesel & 6.2L Supercharged Hemi
U0ERmjM.jpg

2018 FJR. Yes I like blue.

I've had many bikes over the years, now I'm leaning towards more comfortable ones. That said, I need to replace the stock seat on this thing.

VCorleone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L V6
I understand about being proactive, I've been riding since I was 14. When I was stationed at Yuma Proving Grounds, from the front door of the barracks to the front door of my brother's house in Laguna Niguel, Ca is exactly 265 miles. I'd leave on a Friday after work, ride for 4 hours to get to his house. Sunday, I'd leave his house around 10am headed back to the Proving Grounds. Did that for 2 years, every single weekend, no matter the weather. In the winter time it was usually raining through the mountains, and crossing the desert getting buffeted by crosswinds. This was back in the early '80's, I was in my 20's, my reactions were spot on.

As I got older, my reaction times slowed down, couple back injuries, knee surgeries, foot surgeries, I was still riding.

I've had 4 friends die at the hands of teenagers that blew stop signs or just flat out weren't paying attention because they were on their phones. Make your comment to their families, see how that goes over with them. All of those guys were skilled riders.

5 years ago a rider was sitting stopped at a stop light, feet on the ground, wife sitting behind him on his dresser, and a middle aged woman slammed into them from behind, because she was putting on makeup, killed them both. Preach your advice to someone else, I don't want to hear it.[/QUOTE

5 years ago a rider was sitting stopped at a stop light, feet on the ground, wife sitting behind him on his dresser, and a middle aged woman slammed into them from behind, because she was putting on makeup, killed them both. Preach your advice to someone else, I don't want to hear it.

Sorry to hear that. Could be why you had so many close calls that you decided to stop riding. I'll keep riding, and learning, and adapting.

And if you are to cite examples that go against the grain of what I wrote...how about keeping it to close calls, not tragic accidents and fatalities. I in no way suggested that those killed got what they deserved or were at fault in some way. I resent you implying that. It's not fair to the folks who were killed.

Mike Flea

US ARMY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In no way did I suggest that you implied that, nice of you to turn things around so I look like the bad guy

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
certainly I have rode with a few riders that are not paying attention or are easily distracted or have too much speed up for an approaching hairpin curve and I have rode with a few that have had a beer or two more than I think they should before riding home but generally in my many miles of riding I tend to feel more danger from drivers. they get too comfortable and are just not alert to things around them on the road and the new phenominum of texting while driving is out of control. I have seen cars go thru red lights and you can see the driver looking down at something. I have personally been almost taken out by texters drfting across lanes. bikes are nimble and take up less space so I have been lucky the few times I have had to take evasive action and my ultra has pretty good antilock brakes but I know a few folks that have not been so lucky.

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
certainly I have rode with a few riders that are not paying attention or are easily distracted or have too much speed up for an approaching hairpin curve and I have rode with a few that have had a beer or two more than I think they should before riding home but generally in my many miles of riding I tend to feel more danger from drivers. they get too comfortable and are just not alert to things around them on the road and the new phenominum of texting while driving is out of control. I have seen cars go thru red lights and you can see the driver looking down at something. I have personally been almost taken out by texters drfting across lanes. bikes are nimble and take up less space so I have been lucky the few times I have had to take evasive action and my ultra has pretty good antilock brakes but I know a few folks that have not been so lucky.
Pretty much nail on the head.

I got tboned, by of all vehicles, a ram 1500. Completely blind intersection, no way of telling. All the safety advise in the world wouldn't have saved me from that.

Fact is, people are so comfortable because the majority of vehicles now are rolling tanks. If they get into an accident, they wont get hurt. Because car manufacturers have come a long way in terms of vehicle safety.

Which gives most drivers the idea of. "Meh, if anything bad happens, I WILL be safe.. my car will protect ME.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

VCorleone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L V6
Pretty much nail on the head.

I got tboned, by of all vehicles, a ram 1500. Completely blind intersection, no way of telling. All the safety advise in the world wouldn't have saved me from that.

Fact is, people are so comfortable because the majority of vehicles now are rolling tanks. If they get into an accident, they wont get hurt. Because car manufacturers have come a long way in terms of vehicle safety.

Which gives most drivers the idea of. "Meh, if anything bad happens, I WILL be safe.. my car will protect ME.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

This is very true. But I can't help but think that people are influenced enough by advertising and the supposed need to 'stay connected 100% of the time' that they don't dedicate the time in the vehicle to just driving the vehicle. I think MC operators are more in tune because of the risks that even slight accidents pose. I love my Ram 1500 'tank', but don't take risks because the truck will protect me.
As for the blind intersection....there are a few on a road I often use and each time I pass I hope to God that anyone coming up stops at the stop sign.

Panarama

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I've got a '72 GL1100 goldwing. Flat 4!
Purrs like a kitten. Always cranks with one touch of the button. I didn't pay a dime for it! I traded some cheap hole punchers for it.

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've got a '72 GL1100 goldwing. Flat 4!
Purrs like a kitten. Always cranks with one touch of the button. I didn't pay a dime for it! I traded some cheap hole punchers for it.
82?

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Riding an 04 GL1800 Goldwing right now.My 6th Wing.
Started on a 71 Kawi 500 Tripple around 73.Pretty much always had a bike of some sort ever since.Wife and I ride as much as possible and do a 2 week holiday on it every year for the last 30 years.Put a lot of miles on in the Eastern States and Canada.

My 84 Wing got written off by a cager back in 2000.Couldn't wait for the settlement so I could replace it.

Last edited: