MPG mystery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bluetick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I just filled my tank with diesel. At the pump it indicated a driving range of 523 miles. Three miles down the road it's indicating a range of 514 miles. At the same time, it's been indicating mileage of an average 17.2 mpg. Even accounting for up and down hills sloshing the fuel back and forth in the tank, it's quite a discrepancy. Scratching head.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It takes a couple minutes after a fill-up on many of my vehicles to settle into the 'new' fuel reading. Ok, you probably know that ...but it could explain the delayed DTE reading. Ram (chrysler) mileage computers seem to err on the 'plus' side of mileage, judging by what owners here have posted. Probably not a fluke. Make people feel better about their gas-guzzlers.

You're best to fill up at the same exact pump (same gas station), level ground, consistently and record your miles and new gallons, hand calculate and average out. If you do that over the course of two months, let's say, you'll get a real accurate number, and can compare to what your truck reads.

Air pressure in tires and even new tires ...some have higher rolling resistance than others.. can make a difference (plus towing, letting the teenager drive it, etc)

White six four

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You "lost" 6 miles out of over 500. That's pretty insignificant compared to how much these lie o meters really are. Even if you parked slightly out of level it will throw it off. I wouldnt be scratching your head too long on this otherwise you're going to end up with a shiny dome like I've got.

rpmjohn51

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Just filled my 2021 1500 (hemi) this morning. In the 4 mile trip back home, at one time, I was showing 40 mpg (30-35 mph). Settled to 31 but I've never seen that reading...ever.?

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The miles to empty/driving range calculation on the EVIC is something I never pay any attention to. I watch the current tank MPG, but that is rarely accurate. I hand calculate every fillup and it's rare they match. So I figure if the current tank MPG is not accurate, how can the driving range be meaningful? I just watch the fuel gauge instead.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The miles to empty reading is simply an estimate based on the most recent driving conditions and change significantly if the driving conditions change. For example, you just spent a couple hours cruising down at flat road with an empty truck with the cruise set at 55 mph, which is a very high MPG condition. You refuel and the mileage resets based on estimates of the very high MPG recent state. However you immediately hook onto a big trailer and start tugging it through the mountains which greatly decreases your MPG. The computer will continuously update the miles to empty estimation based on the new driving conditions and average MPG. That initial 500 mile range will quickly drop the longer you drive with the trailer through the mountains because the driving conditions are changing.

Quite frankly, the computer tries to estimate the range right after you fill up but can't magically predict the driving conditions when you start driving again. Therefore it is continuously adjusting.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
@mtnrider

IDK bucko - my range is pretty damn accurate - I compare what goes back into the tank vs. what I just used up and the math dont lie

Give up little man you suck at the internet. Just looking more and more foolish the more you post...

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
I am guessing here, but in other brands the distance to empty is only calculated based on a rolling recent average, say 150 miles or so, vs your long term average. That gives you a better idea of your range on your current trip for obvious reasons.

I expect Ram does similar but haven't looked in to it.