msd blaster coils question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bdaman069

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys, been a while since i had to post anything, so here it goes.

Had a cam installed and a dyno tune done, ran ok, mechanic was good but his tuning skills weren't there yet. Had Jay Greene tune the truck now it runs great, or it did. I installed msd blaster coil packs on the truck this morning and now I'm getting multiple misfire codes (p0300) and a lean code p0174.> Jay said these would not need to be tuned in or affect the tune, but I'm having terrible drivability issues and the truck is running hot.

Any help or suggestions would be great. Thanks guys in advance.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Hey guys, been a while since i had to post anything, so here it goes.

Had a cam installed and a dyno tune done, ran ok, mechanic was good but his tuning skills weren't there yet. Had Jay Greene tune the truck now it runs great, or it did. I installed msd blaster coil packs on the truck this morning and now I'm getting multiple misfire codes (p0300) and a lean code p0174.> Jay said these would not need to be tuned in or affect the tune, but I'm having terrible drivability issues and the truck is running hot.

Any help or suggestions would be great. Thanks guys in advance.
Your factory coils are better.Try re-installing the original coils,and see what happens.If your truck calls for irridium plugs ,you have way better coils then the MSD coils,the factory irridium plug coils are good to 1100+ rwhp on boosted applications.Why are you changing coils,besides looks and you got sucked into MSD's marketing,lol. If you seen a video comparing them,that video is close to 16 years old,and they were using an 06 hemi in the video,factory coils have come along way since then.

OP
OP
Bdaman069

Bdaman069

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Appreciate that, i was going to reinstall the old coils and see if thats the issue, which it probably is. Jist too lazy to go back through yhe process. I only get one day off and really jist wanted to go play with the truck. Looks like ill be under yhe hood for a while.

OP
OP
Bdaman069

Bdaman069

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
what i dont understand wildone is why all of a sudden the truck starts running hot along with all the other issues.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
what i dont understand wildone is why all of a sudden the truck starts running hot along with all the other issues.
That does make you wonder,let us know what happens when you install the original coils. Are you sure you have the right harness plugged into each coil,it's hard to get them mixed up,but i've seen guys plug the wrong coil lead into a coil.If you have a harness mixed up,and plugged into the wrong coil,it could be the cause of some of your issues.

OP
OP
Bdaman069

Bdaman069

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
thanks for the reply, I did check that to make sure I didnt make any mistakes, they are all in the correct coil. all 10 mm bolts are tightened and everything seems fine. i will update after i reinstall the old coils. Hopefully msd will take theirs back. hate to waste 600 bucks LOL