My 2007 overdue tune up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

M&Ms4D

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My first and WAY overdue tune-up was a success, just wanted to say thanks for all the info I have found from all on this forum.

I changed 15/16 of the plugs on my 07 hemi, and cleaned the throttle body. I ended up buying the magnetic swivel 5/8” sparkplug wrench from auto-zone. It worked like a charm for all but the one plug directly under the brake booster (my opinion it is still a great tool for 10 bucks). I will have to end up getting a regular plug socket and some small extensions to get that one plug. But I got the cylinders in the very back so once I get the right tools, it shouldn't be too hard to get to it.

From joining this forum I have learned a ton and now know that my plugs were killing my gas mileage and my truck wasn’t running super smooth. I had 103k miles on my stock plugs. The gaps in the old plugs were all around .065 and new ones I put in were set to .044. My throttle body didn’t come out spotless by any means, but I did get a lot of the old crud out.

I went back with a small amount of anti-seize on all new threads and very lightly coated the inside of the coil boots with dielectric grease applied with a q-tip.

I think I have gained about 2 mpgs and engine runs a lot lot lot smoother.

A couple things that I learned that may help someone else with an 07:
The passenger's side was tougher than driver's side for me. In order to get to the rear coils and plugs I had to do 2 things. First I had to remove the 2 vacuum type lines out of their clamps (green arrows) and rest them ontop of the clamp. Second, I had to tie up this huge electrical conduit of wires (red arrow). Once I did this I didn't have too much of an issue getting my wrench back there (you can actually see it).

And as far as the throttle body goes, slide the red part of the electrical connector all the way to the LEFT. This will allow you to slide off the connector. I also used a walmart bag and some tape to help prevent any brake cleaner from getting into the electrical parts of the TB.

Hope this can help somebody else.

Attachments

• tie up.jpg
    tie up.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 79
  • TB connector.jpg
    TB connector.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 71
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 121
  • photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 86
OP
OP
M&Ms4D

M&Ms4D

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Here's a pic of my old plugs!

Attachments

• photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 45

Harley Harrold

USAF Ret. 36+ years service
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Good job, I will soon be changing my spark plugs in about 300 miles, as my 07 will have 60K, and I am not sure if it still has the original factory spark plugs installed.:peace:

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
I am not in the mod to do my spark plugs again. The V10 goes way under the rear of the engine bay and those last few spark plugs are almost impossible to get to. Last time I did them it took 3 hours of frustration and cussing but I managed to get the old ones out. Took a 2 hour break to calm down and clear my head. Then another 2 ours of frustration and cussing to get the new plugs in.
Why do the manufacturers or designers make things so difficult to get too???

Harley Harrold

USAF Ret. 36+ years service
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Engineers are only interested in getting the driveline package to fit, with little regard for the mechanic, who will one day have to repair the vehicle.

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What plugs did you go with? Good job though! I am looking at doing my plugs soon!!

OP
OP
M&Ms4D

M&Ms4D

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Champion copper plus, part #570, they are like $2 each at O'Reilly's and the ones recommended for my engine

Elfster55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have an 07 as well doing plugs next week, what oil r u running, and antifreeze? Have u done any other projects? Thinking about doing shocks, and thermostat. By the way I have 94500 on it, only had it about 2 weeks, so no idea what has been done