My 2019's first experience in the -50deg range.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, I learned a few things about our 2019 Ram Bighorn this morning. It was a brisk -55 when I woke up (that is not with windchill). I had her plugged into on the block heater from 0400hrs-0730hrs when I started her up.

-Engine\transmission\oil heated up to above 0 with the block heater, nice!
-Alternator belt and pulleys were not fans, lots of squealing.
-Trying to drive was rough, the differential lube was so thick that it wouldn't even budge without at least 1300rpm of power, and if I let off the gas it was like I had the brakes on and it would actually pull to a stop.
-The steering felt like no power steering was even on.
-Shocks were so stiff I felt like I would bend them.
-Lost 10psi of pressure in all 4 tires (readings once the engine was started...they returned to normal as I drove) and that is with Nitrogen in them not regular air.
-The tires deformed and froze in place, it was like driving on squares, bucking me in my seat, for the first 5miles at <5mph.
-The OAT gauge will not read passed -45 and just goes to -:- on the readouts, my hyundai read -55 when I started it up for my wife.
-The transfer case switch panel flickered like a strobe light (the backlight, not the selector lights) until the interior warmed up.
-The door latch failed and would close enough to shut off the light but refused to latch, I had to grab a can of lube from the shop, but did so with bare hands and actually burned my fingers on the can...I should know better.

Just another day. I do miss my winter tires, they grabbed amazing in temps like this and never deformed into blocks.

Attached screenshot from the weather network I took once I got to work (gotta love that windchill), and the OAT reading nothing on it's gauge as I mentioned. It's weird because my 2014\2012\2008 all read proper temps, I'm not sure if this is a problem with the 2019 or normal.

Screenshot_20190128-084223_Weather Network.jpg

20190128_074413.jpg

klodge741

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well, I learned a few things about our 2019 Ram Bighorn this morning. It was a brisk -55 when I woke up (that is not with windchill). I had her plugged into on the block heater from 0400hrs-0730hrs when I started her up.

-Engine\transmission\oil heated up to above 0 with the block heater, nice!
-Alternator belt and pulleys were not fans, lots of squealing.
-Trying to drive was rough, the differential lube was so thick that it wouldn't even budge without at least 1300rpm of power, and if I let off the gas it was like I had the brakes on and it would actually pull to a stop.
-The steering felt like no power steering was even on.
-Shocks were so stiff I felt like I would bend them.
-Lost 10psi of pressure in all 4 tires (readings once the engine was started...they returned to normal as I drove) and that is with Nitrogen in them not regular air.
-The tires deformed and froze in place, it was like driving on squares, bucking me in my seat, for the first 5miles at <5mph.
-The OAT gauge will not read passed -45 and just goes to -:- on the readouts, my hyundai read -55 when I started it up for my wife.
-The transfer case switch panel flickered like a strobe light (the backlight, not the selector lights) until the interior warmed up.
-The door latch failed and would close enough to shut off the light but refused to latch, I had to grab a can of lube from the shop, but did so with bare hands and actually burned my fingers on the can...I should know better.

Just another day. I do miss my winter tires, they grabbed amazing in temps like this and never deformed into blocks.

Attached screenshot from the weather network I took once I got to work (gotta love that windchill), and the OAT reading nothing on it's gauge as I mentioned. It's weird because my 2014\2012\2008 all read proper temps, I'm not sure if this is a problem with the 2019 or normal.

View attachment 153527

View attachment 153528
I dont even think I could move if it was that cold.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

JD Martin

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Damn. I think you need to move somewhere warmer :D . I can barely believe you have cell phone service - who would they get to service the tower in weather like that?

Funny - so cold your display just reads "--" for temperature :D

OP
OP
Guyfromthenorth
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Damn. I think you need to move somewhere warmer :D . I can barely believe you have cell phone service - who would they get to service the tower in weather like that?

Funny - so cold your display just reads "--" for temperature :D

Ha, just got back from Mexico, there's a reason we go yearly! And yes, we barely have service (not related to cold...just...Canada). With a booster I get 1 bar at my house, to be fair I live on a lake in the middle of nowhere so I'm sure the cost\profit margin on cell service here is little to none.

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
Good gracious, what inhuman conditions!

JD Martin

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ha, just got back from Mexico, there's a reason we go yearly! And yes, we barely have service (not related to cold...just...Canada). With a booster I get 1 bar at my house, to be fair I live on a lake in the middle of nowhere so I'm sure the cost\profit margin on cell service here is little to none.
I think you should change your name to "SamuelJacksonoftheNorth", because anyone existing in those kinds of conditions AND living on a lake besides is as SJ said in Pulp Fiction :D

guyc66

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This brings flashbacks of two years I lived in Grand Forks, North Dakota (although -43F was the coldest I saw). I had a '95 RAM 2500 4x4 with a V10 that sounded like two ***** robots f*cking hard when I cranked it on those winter mornings. I don't miss those times at all...

BigRed4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does Ontario have a temp where they call off school? Here in Mid Michigan if the windchill reading is -20 they close school which BS but so are the times we live in. At -20 windchill you guys up there would be driving with your windows rolled down. Lol

OP
OP
Guyfromthenorth
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think I would be upgrading the engine oil, transfer case and rear gear oil with all Redline products with those extreme temperatures.

Brand new truck, don't want to mess with the warranty. Tbh though the block heater and the coolant management systems these trucks have ensure the engine\oil\tranny are NEVER at the OAT around here. The differentials...yeah they are still in the frozen universe. I may consider upgrading their oil, I just am being real careful not to bugger the warranty. Dealers are sticklers up here for that kind of stuff. I did put high end syn in the engine after I put 1000 on it to help protect better during cold starts.

Does Ontario have a temp where they call off school? Here in Mid Michigan if the windchill reading is -20 they close school which BS but so are the times we live in. At -20 windchill you guys up there would be driving with your windows rolled down. Lol

Generally schools are only closed if there's an ice storm and roadways\highways are shut down by the police. Temperatures don't do it. I remember as a kid (grade 4) standing at the bus stop in -40 temps regularly. I guess we're just used to it, not because we are any different than any other humans, but because if we shut down everytime it was -20 nothing would ever get done! lol

EDIT: I did see one of the buses drive by me once I was in town headed to my Base, a solid white plume of exhaust out it's tailpipe didn't float any more than 10ft in the air. Like a jets con-trail at head level lol.

aladin_sane

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This brings flashbacks of two years I lived in Grand Forks, North Dakota (although -43F was the coldest I saw). I had a '95 RAM 2500 4x4 with a V10 that sounded like two ***** robots f*cking hard when I cranked it on those winter mornings. I don't miss those times at all...
I spent 10 years in Grand Forks. I can recall starting a car with a manual transmission during a cold snap. After you got the car started, you could let the clutch out with the gear shift in neutral, and the car would start moving because the gear lube in the trans was solid. Good times.

Shaggy

Administrator/Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Ram Year
--
Engine
--
I would have to have a heated shop for those kind of conditions. The lowest I have seen in my lifetime was -39 here in the wilds of Idaho.

The lowest I felt was -5 in Idaho also. My AZ ass couldn't handle that at all, let allow -55!

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Been that cold in upstate NY. Was stationed on Lake Champlain and we regularly saw -20 degrees,. Coldest I remember was -50 and -70 Wind Chill on flightline, brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Not any more for me. I had a 1972 Olds Cutlass back then with the Jetfire 350. Start that puppy and let idle forever while shovel. It would run, but carburetor aspirated at those temps, sometimes had to use ether. Those were the days. All the trucks on flightline had block heaters. My car was so cold one day, went and "borrowed" a ground heater and stuck hose up under chassis to warm up motor, Somethings U neva forget and Not want to do.

Was in Goosebay, Labador and we put wooded sheets in front of radiators to get enuf air to keep windshield defrosted, Makes me cold to think of it.. LOL

I be a wimp in TX now, chit, hit 40F and be freezing, been here dat long, HEE HEE