My DEF gauge is stuck.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aharleyguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Always fill up the DEG fluid at each oil change. It took about six gallons to fill up.
Got back in the truck and the gauge didn’t move. Still needle is showing just above the red on the gauge.
I tried several times starting the truck up, and drove hundreds of miles, but the gauge will not move.
So, I am thinking the sending unit is stuck in the 8 gallon tank.
Is there something I could add to the DEF fluid to break free the sending units are ?
Up for some ideas? Out of warranty, 105780 miles on the truck. GDE tune, runs great. T6 oil.
Look forward to some thoughts.
Thank you.

blahargoue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
The sending unit in the DEF tank is not a float type sending unit. It is electronic and measures electrical resistance between contacts as the fluid level rises and falls.

Mine did that to me once after having to drain my DEF tank due to getting some bad fluid. It took a long time for my gauge to start responding normally.

Google Ram DEF tank sensor and there are several good video's explaining the system and potential remedies.

OP
OP
Aharleyguy

Aharleyguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Thank you for the tip.
Also I am seeing people putting in distilled water in their DEF tank? Does that really work?

Doug Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel _3.0
Filled mine for the first time after 3,000 miles of towing. It didn't move for 2 minutes. It was also about 15 degrees F. Brrr.

RickStrack36

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel
Had my tank replaced under the extended warranty that is part of the eco diesel lawsuit settlement.

RAM DRVR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
My DEF gauge has been stuck on 1/4 tank for about a month now. I topped off the tank a couple of times to make sure it is full but its not moving. Out of warranty, not sure what to do..........

sirdumpsalot

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
The sending unit in the DEF tank is not a float type sending unit. It is electronic and measures electrical resistance between contacts as the fluid level rises and falls.

Mine did that to me once after having to drain my DEF tank due to getting some bad fluid. It took a long time for my gauge to start responding normally.

Google Ram DEF tank sensor and there are several good video's explaining the system and potential remedies.
How did you drain your tank? Did you use a handpump from the filler line or is there an easier way?