My quick review Morimoto XB headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mpress2570

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
After a 3 day delay due to weather I finally got my headlights delivered and installed. So I figured I’d give you all my own honest no BS little review.

Let’s start with looks: 10/10
In the looks department these get a perfect score. They are absolutely gorgeous in person. They have a very modern look without looking like they’re obviously aftermarket. Every aftermarket headlamps for the ram look way over the top or cheesy. To the untrained eye these really do look factory. The DRLs are insanely bright and the sequential turn signals are fantastic.

Britghtness: 8/10
For guys who are still running halogen bulbs especially in the reflector housings you will love the brightness of the morimotos. The cut off is crisp and the hue of the light emitted is on par for what you’d expect from LEDs. The low beams are great and the high beams are good but not phenomenal. The beam is nice but you will find a much nicer beam out of one of Morimotos retrofit projectors. Compared to HIDs I’d say these are very comparable to a 35W HID kit, but for those of you who have been running a 55W HID kit like me you might be disappointed. It took a little bit to get used to the difference but after a few test drives I got used to it. When running 55w your high beams will turn night to day and I will definitely miss the overly bright high beams. But with less intense high beams my auto dim feature ACTUALLY WORKS AGAIN. They work like they’re supposed to. With the 55W HIDs I was running every single street sign would confuse the truck and dim the highs so I had to turn that function off.

Installation:5/10

Unfortunately I have to give these lights a poor score on this category. Installation was a breeze. You can get these lights installed in 15 minutes, but when it comes time for aiming prepare yourself and try to refrain from throwing your socket wrench. You literally have to remove the housing to make an adjustment to the aiming. I had these lights in my truck in 10 minutes, but it took me 2 hours to get the aiming satisfactory and I STILL have some fine tuning to do with the left/right aiming. Even with following the simple aiming procedure you don’t know how much of an adjustment you’re actually making until you seat the housing back in place, and even then you have to fasten the screws to the housings to get a true look at where you are really at. It is highly frustrating and a shock that Morimoto would make their product this way.

Fitment: 10/10

Fitment is perfect. There are no gaps and they look very nice and very factory.

Functionality: 7/10

I struggled with this rating and I’m still not entirely sure where I should rate it. The lights give you a turn signal out warning and the merge lights (the high beams when you pull back on your lever with the lights off) do not work. The turn signals hyper flash but luckily for me it’s only my mirrors that hyper flash since my tail lights are aftermarket also but it’s still annoying. That being said... issues are to be expected especially on Rams. These are a brand new product and usually with any brand new product their are bugs to work out. Problems pop up when a product goes from prototype to mass production. Morimoto and TRS are already aware of the issue and are in the process of releasing a fix and for those of you who didn’t get early delivery you won’t even have to deal with this annoying little bug, but you have to applaud them for how well they back all of their products and make any issues right. I have always appreciated TRS and their customer service and Jeremy at the retro shop with his professional expertise and because of that my rating was saved from being a low score.

Overall: 8/10

Overall I am satisfied with these lights. They look great and are very bright (for LEDs). For those of you on the fence of if you’re going to buy these or not just remember... LEDs are not the brightest option out there. These will obviously blow away any LED bulb setup in the factory housings, but HID still wins the brightness battle. My reasoning for buying these was the fact that I wanted the reliability of LEDs without giving up too much light output. My 55W HIDs were INSANELY bright but I was just waiting for the day that a bulb or ballast or igniter or harness would go out. There are so many parts that can fail in an HID kit. Though I’m not entirely sure I’m ready to part ways with my stock housings and my HID kit. I think I may hang on to them and maybe send them to Jeremy some day for a retrofit and save some money from not buying new housings from him.

The big question. Are they worth the price?
I say why not? Stock projectors will run you around $1200. I don’t see why everyone is complaining about the price of these. Heck even a retrofit can run you around 2 grand. I have no complaints on the price and I’m glad that so many people do. The high price tag means there will be less of them out on the road. The only thing I’ll say is that for the price you’d expect to not have any problems and not have such a hard process for adjusting the beam. Again though, it is a brand new product and bugs are not a huge surprise.

Should you buy?
It just depends on what important to you. Reliability or intensity. HID kits are great and there’s nothing like it but you have to really think to yourself. Is a little extra brightness really worth less reliability? Again these are very comparable to a 35W HID kit. They are very impressive. You also have to remember that there ARE other ways to have more intensity. The good lord gave us light bars and a truck with a bumper that fits one perfectly if your not into mounting one on your roof. Yeah the Morimoto XB headlights cost a lot but that will keep too many people from buying them and keep them more of a rarity to see on the road. There’s definitely no problem with these lights that is big enough that it should scare you away from them.

Anyway if you have any questions just ask. I would have posted more pictures but I didn’t have enough time to take any since it was all consumed by aiming the beam. d9ea2b341d72db0d1bd88e3ba9540ceb.jpg7d2461659c43051a162ca12a8de66b86.jpg890e28706f80eb38c0773dc491dc4c73.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Buddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Great review and writeup, thank you!! I appreciate all the early buyers giving their thoughts.
In the instructions online, the aiming part seems very simple..... which obviously is not. My thought is if you have a leveled truck or lifted, won't your lights be hitting oncoming traffic with their way of aiming?? Just my thought(???) here, but aren't lights aimed by computer assembly line at the factory? If they are, wouldn't pointing with stock lights on a wall them marking with tape the centers, then try to aim the XB's at the exact same spots as stock be a perfect aim??? I'm not giving my opinion here, I'm honestly asking if there is a "best" - "easiest" way to aim lights. Definetly some shortcuts or hints to aim these XB lights will go a long way helping all the folks getting these. 15 minutes to install, and a few hours to aim??? Frustrating for most people's patience.
Thanks again for the review!

predat-r

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 v8
Come on man really what's with all the dark shots nothing showing the truck......damn twin lol.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

OP
OP
mpress2570

mpress2570

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Great review and writeup, thank you!! I appreciate all the early buyers giving their thoughts.
In the instructions online, the aiming part seems very simple..... which obviously is not. My thought is if you have a leveled truck or lifted, won't your lights be hitting oncoming traffic with their way of aiming?? Just my thought(???) here, but aren't lights aimed by computer assembly line at the factory? If they are, wouldn't pointing with stock lights on a wall them marking with tape the centers, then try to aim the XB's at the exact same spots as stock be a perfect aim??? I'm not giving my opinion here, I'm honestly asking if there is a "best" - "easiest" way to aim lights. Definetly some shortcuts or hints to aim these XB lights will go a long way helping all the folks getting these. 15 minutes to install, and a few hours to aim??? Frustrating for most people's patience.
Thanks again for the review!

Yeah you could put tape on a wall to aim them but still you don’t know how much of an adjustment you’re making until you install the housing back in place. So you can move it too little or too far and not know until you basically reinstall the lights. So it’s a lot of guess work.

predat-r

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 v8
So basically even with the adjustment holes for access u still have to adjust from housing?

OP
OP
mpress2570

mpress2570

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So basically even with the adjustment holes for access u still have to adjust from housing?

Yeah it’s a bunch of BS. The adjustment screw for the stock lights were on the housing themselves and light up with the hole in the fender to do it up top. I have no clue why they couldn’t just make these the same way as factory. But I’m no engineer.

predat-r

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 v8
Guess these are gonna be fun once they come in.

OP
OP
mpress2570

mpress2570

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Come on man really what's with all the dark shots nothing showing the truck......damn twin lol.

Here’s a day shot for you. It’s the best I can do while leaving my terminal af35e9989967a310eba6ec7644f5b1a4.jpg

ilovemyramlaremie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
They look great. Not $ 1500 great
I’m going with the blackout projectors from TYC, they look way better, for a quarter of the price. IMO

ilovemyramlaremie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I may be selling my factory projectors with a 55W HID kit for 550. I’m just not sure enough yet that I want to part ways with them. Keep an eye out if I do. They are absolutely flawless condition
I’m interested if you want to sell them

Correct
I’m interested if you want to sell them

JoshR104

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Im also thinking about pulling the trigger on these... I have factory black projectors retrofitted with D2S 4.0 projectors and morimoto 50w HID kit in them but man those lights just look so nice. Should be able to recoup most of the money selling the lights and kit but the output would probably be a step down like you said. I will have to see what I can do to maybe hook in a nice sized light bar to the high beams lol.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye