My tire question is different.....I promise.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

erictomlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not going to ask what tires people think are best for my Ram. I know from experience the answer be one of the following:

1) Defenders
2) It's subjective, but here's my opinion...
3) Please check one of the other 500 tire threads on this forum

My question is specific with respect to towing.

I have a 2016 1500 CC 6'4" box 5.7 HEMI 8-speed trans 3.21 gears. Got the following specs from RAM (based on the VIN):

2016 RAM 1500 SLT CREW CAB 4X4
Engine 5.7L V8 HEMI
Transmission A8 8HP70
Rear Axle Ratio 3.21

GVWR 6900
Payload 1520
Base Weight Total 5380.62
Base Weight Front 3143.87
Base Weight Rear 2236.75
GAWR Front 3,900
GAWR Rear 3,900
GCWR 13,800
Max Trailer Weight 8,010

It's time to replace tires and I'm wondering if I need to look for anything specific since I plan to tow a TT maybe a couple of times per year. I anticipate that the trailer I will pull will come close to (but not exceed) my truck's limitations based on the above specs.

Can I go with a standard "P" tire that would be used if I were not towing at all? Or do I need something more substantial for towing close to the truck's max? e.g. an "LT" tire or higher "load range" than a standard tire, etc.

For the record - and not taking towing into consideration - the tire I'm looking at (based on tirerack.com reviews) is Kumho Crugen HT51 (275/60R/20 114T).

Thanks in advance for the education.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Not going to ask what tires people think are best for my Ram. I know from experience the answer be one of the following:

1) Defenders
2) It's subjective, but here's my opinion...
3) Please check one of the other 500 tire threads on this forum

My question is specific with respect to towing.

I have a 2016 1500 CC 6'4" box 5.7 HEMI 8-speed trans 3.21 gears. Got the following specs from RAM (based on the VIN):

2016 RAM 1500 SLT CREW CAB 4X4
Engine 5.7L V8 HEMI
Transmission A8 8HP70
Rear Axle Ratio 3.21

GVWR 6900
Payload 1520
Base Weight Total 5380.62
Base Weight Front 3143.87
Base Weight Rear 2236.75
GAWR Front 3,900
GAWR Rear 3,900
GCWR 13,800
Max Trailer Weight 8,010

It's time to replace tires and I'm wondering if I need to look for anything specific since I plan to tow a TT maybe a couple of times per year. I anticipate that the trailer I will pull will come close to (but not exceed) my truck's limitations based on the above specs.

Can I go with a standard "P" tire that would be used if I were not towing at all? Or do I need something more substantial for towing close to the truck's max? e.g. an "LT" tire or higher "load range" than a standard tire, etc.

For the record - and not taking towing into consideration - the tire I'm looking at (based on tirerack.com reviews) is Kumho Crugen HT51 (275/60R/20 114T).

Thanks in advance for the education.

You are going to get multiple answers and opinions on this subject too. This specific tire has a max inflation pressure of 51psi and a max load rating of 2403lbs. Multiply that x 2 and you will have 4806lbs. of tire carrying capacity.

If you really want to get technical take your truck to a CAT Scale and weigh the truck. Make sure that you get the front tires on one pad and the rear tires on another pad while on the scale so you can get the curb weight.

Another thing I do is go inside and speak with the fuel desk clerk and tell them what I want to do. I pull the front tires on the scale and ask them for the weight. Then I pull around to the exit of the scale and back on to the pad and ask for the weight again. That way you can have a total curb weight plus individual steer and drive axle weights.

Next, determine what the empty and loaded weights of the travel trailer will be. You can also get the weight distribution of the trailer itself along with the tongue weight of the trailer when empty and loaded to the max.

Once you have all of the weights you can determine if this is enough tire to safely carry the weight.

This is just my opinion. Please do what you want with my information. Make an informed decision and do the research and you will be better off with your choice of tire. Good luck and happy camping!!

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
Look at an XL rated tire. They have stiffer sidewalls and a higher load index rating. They will not increase your capacity, it will give the truck a firmer/stable ride. OEM Goodyears that came on my 2018 Bighorn had 114 load index same as the Kuhmo's you are looking at. I went with a Nitto Terra Grappler G2, which was XL rated and has a 116 load index. It was a better overall ride and towing experience.

Plenty of XL rated tires in the 275/60R20 size.

NH RAM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Tradesman 2500 Snow Chief
Engine
My opinion: I would opt for an XL tire or a D-rated tire- they will offer more stability when towing but also come with a change in ride quality and will be a bit heavier. I changed to 275/65/20, a 34" E-rated tire with a severe weather rating for towing and daily driving in the northeast when I had my 1500. I liked it, but you need to pay attention to tire pressure to keep a good ride.

How far do you plan to tow? If it's short trips, it's not as much of a talking point as towing hundreds or thousands of miles to a destination campsite. If you're towing longer distances, I would NOT get the sl rated tires; they'll handle the job but they aren't as responsive or stable. I've used both the stock tires and upgraded tires for towing long distance in my previous 1500.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If P rated and you're keeping the factory 275/60/20 size then you want a min load index of 114 If i remember correctly. You can look in your current sidewalls and double check what load index you have now in factory trim , it can higher from there depending on tire size, if you want XL load index or an LT tire, if you keep the same size and laod index then you don't have to worry about anything else and can keep using your factory psi numbers found on the placard.

OP
OP
erictomlin

erictomlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My opinion: I would opt for an XL tire or a D-rated tire- they will offer more stability when towing but also come with a change in ride quality and will be a bit heavier. I changed to 275/65/20, a 34" E-rated tire with a severe weather rating for towing and daily driving in the northeast when I had my 1500. I liked it, but you need to pay attention to tire pressure to keep a good ride.

How far do you plan to tow? If it's short trips, it's not as much of a talking point as towing hundreds or thousands of miles to a destination campsite. If you're towing longer distances, I would NOT get the sl rated tires; they'll handle the job but they aren't as responsive or stable. I've used both the stock tires and upgraded tires for towing long distance in my previous 1500.

I like the idea of an XL or Load Range D tire, but I can only find them in A/T type tires and I don't think I want those. 95+% of my driving will be on-road (and NOT towing), so I would rather have a good road tire (quiet, smooth) since that is the majority of my driving. I just want to be sure that the tires that I'm leaning toward are considered satisfactory for occasional, short to medium distance towing of a TT, and that I don't NEED a beefier tire. I know, the beefier the better...right? But do I really NEED the heavier duty tires, or are the SL tires within specs for what I want, as long as I stay within the truck's recommended towing limitations. Thanks again all.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
General HTS 60 XL load 275/60/20 is what is on my 16 Crewcab 1500. - 119 load rating.
Not available on tirerack but still showing on the General website.

But there are several 115 load range which is a little bit better than the 114.

AND

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Cooper&tireModel=Discoverer+H/T+Plus&partnum=76TR0DHTPXL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Or if you want a good riding, quiet tire that will last for years and don't mind changing a slight size - the 265/60/20 Defender is a good easy riding E-load that you won't know is an E-load.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...66R0DLTX&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Last edited:

Different Drummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
I like the idea of an XL or Load Range D tire, but I can only find them in A/T type tires and I don't think I want those. 95+% of my driving will be on-road (and NOT towing), so I would rather have a good road tire (quiet, smooth) since that is the majority of my driving. I just want to be sure that the tires that I'm leaning toward are considered satisfactory for occasional, short to medium distance towing of a TT, and that I don't NEED a beefier tire. I know, the beefier the better...right? But do I really NEED the heavier duty tires, or are the SL tires within specs for what I want, as long as I stay within the truck's recommended towing limitations. Thanks again all.
Your needs sound almost exactly like mine. I have no personal experience with them but I am giving a long hard look at the Continental Terrain Contact HT's. Notice I said HT's not the AT's that there seems to be more real wold opinions on. Check the HT's out. They are available in two different ratings as well.

OP
OP
erictomlin

erictomlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Your needs sound almost exactly like mine. I have no personal experience with them but I am giving a long hard look at the Continental Terrain Contact HT's. Notice I said HT's not the AT's that there seems to be more real wold opinions on. Check the HT's out. They are available in two different ratings as well.

Thanks for the info. I looked up the Terrain Contact HTs and they are pretty comparable to the Kumho Crugen HT51. The Continentals have a slightly higher load rating (115 vs 114) and are made in the USA, which I like, but they are also $30+ more per tire and they are NOT three-peak mountain snowflake (3PMSF) rated like the Kumho.

Different Drummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
Thanks for the info. I looked up the Terrain Contact HTs and they are pretty comparable to the Kumho Crugen HT51. The Continentals have a slightly higher load rating (115 vs 114) and are made in the USA, which I like, but they are also $30+ more per tire and they are NOT three-peak mountain snowflake (3PMSF) rated like the Kumho.
Yes, they do not have the 3PMS. But, take a look at their traction ratings.
I don't really place an awful lot of credence to the 3PMS rating. JMO
I hear you on the price of the Michelins and thought the Continentals might ease your wallet pain just a little.
Good luck with the search.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Continentals usually are very quiet. The Kumho's that I have used not quite as quiet.
Biggest problem I have with them is having a tire on my truck that say *** ho at all 4 corners :)

MattFrmSac

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If I may; I work with this type of thing every day and have a lot of customers with your same driving habits.

You don't need to worry about moving to a heavier casing (Load Range E) or even a tire with an XL designation. It'll be fine with a normal P-metric tire like what came from the factory. You want to focus on finding a high quality tire with a good mileage warranty.

I can't say I recommend the Continentals at this time as I have a customer who drives 50k+ per year and we just put on his 3rd warrantied set because they can't last. Everything else about them is great, but they just aren't going the rated 70k.

The Dean "Back Country" H/T has similar results to the Continentals. My dad and I used his 1/2ton GMC to move he and my mom from Sacramento to Logan. We used the truck to haul almost everything, including nearly a dozen cars (my parents are hoarders of classic cars.) Based on current tread depth measurements, they won't make it to the rated 65k but it'll be damn close and they've performed very well.

I'm very partial to the TOYO H/Ts because they are well made, quiet, and perform very well.

If you do go to an A/T tire, I recommend the Fallen Wildpeak AT3. Good warranty and it outperforms everything else on the market in measured on-road testing in basically every metric.

Different Drummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
I can't say I recommend the Continentals at this time as I have a customer who drives 50k+ per year and we just put on his 3rd warrantied set because they can't last. Everything else about them is great said:
Are you referring specifically to the Terrain Contact HT's?
Nice to get some input on the Conti's. 50K+ a year is plenty of driving for sure. I am wondering what application the tires are used in? Can you tell us mileage on the tires when they were warranted? Mileage for me comes about third down on the priority list. I will
sacrifice some mileage for safety in wet weather, quietness and ride. Can you give any more specifics on the type of use, diligence to rotation / maintaining pressure etc? I suspect that someone driving 50K+ miles a year is not rotating their tires very frequently. That would be about 10 tire rotations per year for me.

Weird! The fairies are playing with my font size.

Last edited: