My truck is moaning :(

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Been doing it for some time. Seems to only happen when I get on the throttle hard, I can drive for an hour and not hear it but when I get on it hard past 3000 rpms and then come to a stop a few seconds later, I'll hear it moaning softly, stop, and then a second later the sound is gone.

Once its moaning, it doesn't change with speed of the truck or RPMs.

Can anyone identify this sound? Only thing I did to my engine before the moaning started last year was the remote oil filter kit and a change to a 180 tstat.

Is it engine noise, or maybe something in the drive train?

Might need headphones to hear it, but can see right before the end of the video it just stops though sometimes the sound stops a second or two after coming to a complete stop.

(please ignore the filthy interior, its winter here and the truck does get used lol)

OP
OP
ramffml

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Sounds like either the clutch fan or the elec ac fan shutting down

Agree on electric fan, but wondering why it just started making that noise last summer? I've owned it for few years before and never heard the fan until it got really hot while towing through a park and then the whole park heard that thing singing.

Of course, depending on how deep you were in it when you got on it, could be it just wants more....

Haven't heard my name yet, must be doing something wrong?

roguerob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine did the same thing for awhile after I installed the oil filter relocation kit. It seems to have went away though. I even had dealer look at it and they couldn’t figure out what it was. I did have the two coolant lines zip tied together so the new oil lines wouldn’t rub against the foam….. once I removed that zip tie, the noise went away. ‍♂️
To me the noise sounded like a power steering pump was low on fluid but that can’t be the case with the Ram.
I’d check your lines underneath. Maybe the vibration is causing the humming? Just glad mine stopped when it did. Was getting very annoying.

OP
OP
ramffml

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Mine did the same thing for awhile after I installed the oil filter relocation kit. It seems to have went away though. I even had dealer look at it and they couldn’t figure out what it was. I did have the two coolant lines zip tied together so the new oil lines wouldn’t rub against the foam….. once I removed that zip tie, the noise went away. ‍♂️
To me the noise sounded like a power steering pump was low on fluid but that can’t be the case with the Ram.
I’d check your lines underneath. Maybe the vibration is causing the humming? Just glad mine stopped when it did. Was getting very annoying.

Interesting, I will have to wait for warmer days to test that. Did it have the same behaviour where you only heard it after running the truck harder than normal?

roguerob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Interesting, I will have to wait for warmer days to test that. Did it have the same behaviour where you only heard it after running the truck harder than normal?
Usually after higher rpms and braking. Normally around 35-45 mph. I noticed it returning sporadically

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat