Mystery Clunk, Help!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

17RedSled

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM 2500
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Hey everyone, not sure if I posted in the wrong place so I apologize in advance if I have….

So, I’ve got a 2016 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 with 80k Miles. In the past 5,000 miles I’ve added a 2.5 inch Rough Country leveling spacer kit. Just before adding the spacer kit I began hearing a very random intermittent clunk sound coming from the passenger side suspension whenever I’d back from the driveway or drive over an uneven surface (pothole, entry ramp to businesses). While having the leveling kit installed I asked the guys to check it all over and they mentioned they couldn’t replicate the sound while driving and all ball joints and wheel bearing appeared to be in good shape.

As you would know the sound became more prevalent and is now almost consistent. I was able to finally replicate the sound and capture it on video by violently jumping up and down on the passenger side step. I’ve taken a video which I’ll link below for review. It sounds like a metal popping sound on hollow metal.

https://youtube.com/shorts/ycfzk3ClSnI?feature=share

I’d be able to do probably figure this out if I had help, but I don’t as I’m solo. So, just a few things to mention as a self diagnosis…

- I’ve replaced all the sway bar + end link bushings with the Poly Kit from Energy Suspension. The sound remains.

- The noise can not be felt in the steering wheel or the floor board.

- The TSB relating to the dash supports has been reviewed and I’ve tightened all bolts.

- Passenger side body mounts have all been tightened and do not appear to be the culprit.

- Newly installed tires are wearing evenly.

- Passenger side wheel bearing has been tested by jacking the passenger side up and checking for movement and there is none.

- Upper and Lower Ball Joints appear to be in good shape, boots not ripped or damaged.

Just wasn’t sure if I’ve missed something else, so before I start pulling out my hair or forking out cash for parts and labor… can anyone recommend something I’ve missed?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
It sounds so much like thin hot metal cooling down rapidly

OP
OP
17RedSled

17RedSled

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM 2500
Engine
6.7 Cummins
It sounds so much like thin hot metal cooling down rapidly

That is correct I had just got home from driving around. But, the sound is very prominent at the 0:08-0:12 marks.

KMKKOZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It really seems like it is when the truck is the highest relative to the ground. Like two pieces of metal just too close together just popping.

OP
OP
17RedSled

17RedSled

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM 2500
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Red, check that upper sway bar link, it looks like the sway bar is actually shifting just a touch on extension.

I just did tightened it some and the noise isn’t as common while driving but it’s still there… I’m guessing it’s time for a replacement link?

co-pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
is the sway bar touching the frame when it moves?? ..... and yes the link still looks loose?

OP
OP
17RedSled

17RedSled

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM 2500
Engine
6.7 Cummins
is the sway bar touching the frame when it moves?? ..... and yes the link still looks loose?

It isn’t touching the frame, it appears that the upper flat plate above the bushing is touching the sway bar itself.

co-pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It isn’t touching the frame, it appears that the upper flat plate above the bushing is touching the sway bar itself.

Ahh ... ok well ... not too bad of a fix!

keep us posted....

Dispatch6350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had the the same clunking noise (as have many others) you describe, I stopped mine by tightening the four 18mm bolts on the crossmember that braces the rear lower A arm pivot. I tightened them with a torque multiplier until I was afraid any more would break the bolts. The clunking stopped, three days running, keeping my fingers crossed it is fixed for good.DSC01161rsz.jpg