Mystery sound underneath. HELP!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FlatbedHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 15 2500 has this mystery sound that is plaguing me. It is very prevalent when going slow over rough terrain, and only present when coasting (as far as I can tell). I have searched and searched and cannot find the source of the noise. It sounds like a bump and rattle (at fort I thought it was a loose center cap on my wheels) with the windows up, but I noticed last week coming out of the woods with the windows down that it has a click/tick sound to it. I have checked the front end to the best of my ability, had a shop check everything (it was within spec), and checked my U-joints on the driveshafts. Everything seems tight to me.

just looking for some guidance on where to look next.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
I had a rattle driving me nuts that I was sure came from under the truck. Finally I rode in the bed while someone else drove. It was a tool rattling in my bed mounted toolbox.

Second thing I’ve experienced is the exhaust tailpipe section came loose at the rear of the muffler and I had to tighten the clamp. Probably caused by me tagging the tailpipe dropping off ledges.

Check the spare tire winch if you haven’t already.

On some other thread I seem to recall some reports of mystery rattling under some truck beds that was never resolved.

Good luck on the hunt. I hate rattles and squeaks.

RedneckHippy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 3500 Tradesman
Engine
6.4 Hemi w/ MDS
We found a loose rear shock bolt the other day by having someone jump up and down in the back of the bed with someone else laying underneath.

RandomRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I keep a shackle point in my rear hitch and it clanks bad. I was off pavement yesterday and thought it was something loose in the front end, took the shackle adapter off and it went away.

AWLINK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have a 2020 with the rattle in the rear when driving over bumps. The dealer kept it for 2 days trying to find it but could not. They contacted the factory and was told it was the body mounts causing the issue and it would not do any good to change them untill they come up with a better mount. They said they would send out a recall when they had a better replacement part.

OP
OP
FlatbedHemi

FlatbedHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Finally tracked it down. Turned out to be a combination of a loose shock mount and a loose sway bar end link. Never could get it to move just by shaking the parts by hand, but we finally got them to move by shaking the crap out of the whole truck while watching the front end move.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Culmer