Navigation system (uconnect?)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tom martley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
So I just had to take a trip half way across the country and back, 3000+ miles. I was relying on the navigation system in my truck to get me to places I needed to go. This is what I observed......

Most of the speed limits were wrong! Truck system said speed limit was 75, road signs said 80.
Going through some cities it would tell me to take some weird freaking route off the freeway I was on and I knew I needed to stay on the freeway! Then it would give me directions to an address I put in and get me to a spot and say you have arrived and there was nothing there. WTF!!
I ended up having to use google maps on my phone which has never done any of the above issues.

I checked my system and it says my software is up to date.

Is there anything I can do to get it to work better? Or am I stuck using Android Auto and burning data?[/QUOTE

I have experienced the same thing with my 2019 Limited. Bad routes or no routes, can't be trusted. The cheapest small portable Garmin I have is clear beyond the 12" Ram. Problem is probably not hardware itself but the cheap software Ram put in it. Also, it is the least intuitive nav system I have ever used and I give it a big fat F. I don't trust it so use Google maps from my iphone.

My software is up to date, so that is not the problem, it is the junk software Ram put in it and until they decide to spend some money and get some decent software, problems will persist.

Dexter Bob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I was wondering if you could download Goggle Maps to the UConnect apps screen??

bowdude66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have nav on my 17 ram, biggest waste of money I've seen considering I didn't want it to start with but truck had it. You would think after spending $50,000 on a truck they wouldn't need to **** you on map upgrades and uconnect. I refuse to pay $150 for a map so I use Waze or google maps. Wish I would have kept my Tundra.

norourke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is there a way to use your phone and project the map in the radio terminal? That would be the best solution in my opinion. A media upgrade.

Al Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummings
Do yourself a favor. Get a Garmin free lifetime maps and traffic. Better to have a dedicated unit just for that. Bluetooth and Wi-Fi, will let you use voice commands as well as your phone. Had mine for many many years in my RV hauling my fifth wheel, never had a problem. In my 18, that you connect navigation has steered me wrong several times. If you're driving a big rig or a 40 ft fifth wheel like me it's nothing but problems in the end.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Is there a way to use your phone and project the map in the radio terminal? That would be the best solution in my opinion. A media upgrade.
I have nav on my 17 ram, biggest waste of money I've seen considering I didn't want it to start with but truck had it. You would think after spending $50,000 on a truck they wouldn't need to **** you on map upgrades and uconnect. I refuse to pay $150 for a map so I use Waze or google maps. Wish I would have kept my Tundra.
I was wondering if you could download Goggle Maps to the UConnect apps screen??
As mentioned already, make sure your settings are correct. As for speed limits, many states have increased theres in the past few years. South Dakota and Montana are two of them.
Warning about Google Maps and Waze (both owned by Alphabet BTW) they only work when you have cell phone coverage. For 90% of the US, this is okay. But in my state (Colorado) and Montana, coverage is not close to 90%. In Google maps you can plot your trip and save it to your phone so if there is no cell tower it will still work.
In my case after a lack of cell phone coverage in Montana and nearly running out of gas with no exact idea of where I was, I bought a used 8.4AN RA4 that had navigation built in and turned on and also had HD radio that I also wanted. I have had no regrets about my purchase. In fast growing Colorado, the navigation does get surprised by new roads or new routings of old roads but is very reliable.
Craig
All of you read this if you want Android Auto (Google Maps) and/or Apple CarPlay, feel free to ask me or anyone in that thread if you have questions.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/to...&share_fid=17770&share_type=t&link_source=app

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

Stacey Power

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Turbo Diesel
What year is your truck? You can upgrade to an Android Auto/Apple CarPlay radio which can use all of the popular (up to date for free) navigation apps. Then turn around and sell your old radio to offset the cost. I got lucky and found my radio for $300 in perfect condition.

I just use my cell phone Android Auto....way more accurate!

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I just use my cell phone Android Auto....way more accurate!
Yes, this allows you to use your cellphone Android Auto through your I connect radio (on the 8.4 screen).

RASelkirk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Haven't tried it on the RAM, but I had horrible luck with Android Auto on the wife's car. It needs a USB cable (no bluetooth) and even though plugged in and charging, the app still sucked the battery out of my phone in 2 hrs time. Then you cannot uninstall the app once it's on your phone. It *looks* like it's uninstalled, but whenever you plug your phone in to charge, that nasty little sucker pops up and asks to connect, so it's still there...

Russ

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Haven't tried it on the RAM, but I had horrible luck with Android Auto on the wife's car. It needs a USB cable (no bluetooth) and even though plugged in and charging, the app still sucked the battery out of my phone in 2 hrs time. Then you cannot uninstall the app once it's on your phone. It *looks* like it's uninstalled, but whenever you plug your phone in to charge, that nasty little sucker pops up and asks to connect, so it's still there...

Russ
Charges rapidly in my RAM. I can probably get a full charge using AA the whole time in about an hour.

rickjkline

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Like many have said the maps data is only updated every few years or so. I test newer vehicles in my job and I can say even new 2019-2020 vehicles have the same issues. Incorrect speed limits and wrong names or even missing roads. Best to use a cell phone or separate GPS device.

sgt940

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Like many have said the maps data is only updated every few years or so. I test newer vehicles in my job and I can say even new 2019-2020 vehicles have the same issues. Incorrect speed limits and wrong names or even missing roads. Best to use a cell phone or separate GPS device.
I have a 2019 limited with updated maps beginning 2 upgrades ago the arrival time is off a minimum of 40 to 60 % even on a short drive. I love the graphics of the on board map but how can you possibly be that far off in 2020. It has carplay and both apple maps and google maps get the arrival time right with in 2 minutes. For the cost of the factory navigation and upgraded maps it should at least be reasonably accurate and it is NOT

RASelkirk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Charges rapidly in my RAM. I can probably get a full charge using AA the whole time in about an hour.

Glad for ya, didn't work for me. I should try it on the RAM, even though it's *uninstalled* on my phone and see what happens...

Russ

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Glad for ya, didn't work for me. I should try it on the RAM, even though it's *uninstalled* on my phone and see what happens...

Russ
It's uninstalled but the prompt you see is from an app called Google Play Services which will, when connected to an AA device, prompt you to download and install AA when safe.

Last edited:

RASelkirk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's uninstalled but the prompt you see is from an app called Google Play Services which will, when connected to an AA device prompt you to download and install AA when safe.

Thanks for a logical explanation! I've posted this on the 'droid forums before and no one there could, or would, explain it so it made sense.

Russ

RASelkirk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What is this "speed limit" of which you speak?

Likely the posted speed limit of the road you're currently on. Waze & Android Auto are more up-to-date than the dedicated nav systems with their typically out-of-date maps...

Russ

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for a logical explanation! I've posted this on the 'droid forums before and no one there could, or would, explain it so it made sense.

Russ
What phone and what version of Android are you using? Mine works fine. LG G7 thinq Android 9

AA version...

Screenshot_20200407-185813.png

Last edited:

Agent86

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi

I use my Garmin GPS on every vehicle I own. Free updates. Cannot see spending big bucks to update the built in GPS systems. Most of factory installed systems I cannot even see if wearing polarized sun glasses.