Need help choosing u-joints

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Old Fart

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So it's time to replace the front driveshaft double cardan u-joints. I'd appreciate if you can confirm my information...

1- When they say a 3-joint shaft, they mean a driveshaft with 3 u-joints...2 in cardan and 1 at axle.

2- Both u-joints in the cardan are the same product number.

3- It would probably be best to change the ball kit and ball seat kit as well?

4- Do I get the SKF UJ331 (front shaft rear joint) greasable or the SKF UJ231 (front shaft rear joint) Brute Force non-greasable.

5- The grease fitting in the cardan is only for the ball lubrication?

I tried a few searches but did find any info I needed....maybe it's my old age, lol!!

Jerseystyle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
MY 07 doesn't have a double cardan shaft. Only 1 u-joint at the axle side and a CV style joint close to the transfer case (See pic).

Usually in a double cardan joint, the u-joints are the same.

The difference between greasable and non is strength vs serviceability. A non-greasable joint is inherently stronger as the body is solid. Where a greasable one is hollowed out allowing the flow of grease. Unless you're planning some hardcore trails, I'd go greasable. 23a69668843cb241246dcdf1e936ed0e.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Old Fart

Old Fart

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So it's time to replace the front driveshaft double cardan u-joints. I'd appreciate if you can confirm my information...

1- When they say a 3-joint shaft, they mean a driveshaft with 3 u-joints...2 in cardan and 1 at axle.

2- Both u-joints in the cardan are the same product number.

3- It would probably be best to change the ball kit and ball seat kit as well?

4- Do I get the SKF UJ331 (front shaft rear joint) greasable or the SKF UJ231 (front shaft rear joint) Brute Force non-greasable.

5- The grease fitting in the cardan is only for the ball lubrication?

I tried a few searches but did find any info I needed....maybe it's my old age, lol!!

Ok, did a little more research...

1- yes
2- same u-joint
3- The joint is making a lot of noise, so best to change the ball kit.
4- Both Spicer and SKF recommend the non-greasable u-joints...Spicer 5-3208x, SKF UJ231
5- yes

OP
OP
Old Fart

Old Fart

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Was going to start a new thread but decided to add to this one. This time I need help with the front axle u-joints.

My 05 Power Wagon has the AAM front axle.

There's a whole bunch of options, but the ones I am looking to get are the Spicer Life series 5006813 non-greasable heavy duty u-joints (12 month warranty) or the MOOG Super Strength 364 joints that have the grease inlet in one of the u-joint caps (lifetime warranty).

Any comments would be appreciated.

Jason G Slabaugh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l hemi
Personally, either one is a good choice BUT.. for maintenance purposes id go with Moog. I always like that I can add grease if needed

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Spicer (Dana) or Moog, either is usually more than enough.