Need Help With Detailing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FTMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The paint on my 06 ram is starting to fade. Anyone know what I can do to bring back the shine? Products? Would I have to bring it to a detailing shop for a wet sand? Any info is appreciated.

mperryz24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Try a cleaner/wax first, before trying a more aggressive method like high speed buffing. Check into a DA polisher, it is hard to mess up the clear coat using that. Use Maguires and follow instructions. Your clear coat may be thinning out and would require repainting.

OP
OP
FTMike

FTMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Try a cleaner/wax first, before trying a more aggressive method like high speed buffing. Check into a DA polisher, it is hard to mess up the clear coat using that. Use Maguires and follow instructions. Your clear coat may be thinning out and would require repainting.

I'll give that a shot. Thanks for the info.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
IMHO on a truck that old I would go to a trusted detail shop and ask them to "measure" your clear coat and paint before you decide on what action to take. Depending on the thickness of the clear coat will determine what type of product(how abrasive) you can use. There is no doubt that you will need to use a buffer(maybe a Porter Cable 7424) to do the job. I always use the rule of thumb---"always start with the LEAST abrasive solution first". This will preserve what clear coat and paint you have left on the truck. DO NOT wet sand your truck before you know how thick the paint is!
Jay

Kinetic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
To add what Pull Ya said, find out if the paint if single stage or two stage. Also, I wouldn't ever consider wet sanding OEM paint, especially older vehicles like yours. post up some pics with some good lighting so we can see what condition it's in.

To get it done correctly you'll definitely want to use a polisher, but what pad and polish depends on the condition and how much clear/paint you have left to work with.

Blackdodge2010

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Power polish it with Meguiars Ultimate Compound. Then polish it with Mequairs Ultimate polish. Finish off with a coat of Mequairs Next gen 2.0 wax. It will look great.

OP
OP
FTMike

FTMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for all the information. I'll try polishing it first to save money before bringing it to a detail shop. Unless I should bring it to a detailing shop first to see what they have to say about it.

Kinetic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for all the information. I'll try polishing it first to save money before bringing it to a detail shop. Unless I should bring it to a detailing shop first to see what they have to say about it.

You should have the paint measured to be on the safe side, much cheaper than having to repaint.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
OP
OP
FTMike

FTMike