Need help with FOX Shocks... totally confused!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Ok so I want to buy this kit for my truck

2009-2018 Dodge RAM 1500 2wd 4.5"/3" Lift Kit W/ FOX Shocks - MaxTrac K882443F. ( https://maxtracstore.com/2009-2018-dodge-ram-1500-2wd-4-5-3-lift-kit-w-fox-shocks-maxtrac-k882443f/ )

The kit has new shocks for the rear, but not the front. If I’m ripping my suspension apart to install this lift kit, I’m installing new front shocks too as my truck has 90k miles and the shocks are factory original.

So I am trying to buy the same model FOX Shocks for the front but this is where the confusion is.

The ONLY front FOX Shocks for the 09-18 2wd Rams is this set:

2009-2018 Dodge RAM 1500 2wd FOX Performance 0-2.5" (7" Kit) Lift Front Shock - MaxTrac 762115F. ( https://maxtracstore.com/2009-2018-...0-2-5-7-kit-lift-front-shock-maxtrac-762115f/ )

But in the description is says “Conquer the trail with the FOX Performance front shock for 0-2.5" lift. Used on the 6.5 & 7" Lift Kits as well. “

What?!? It says for 0-2.5” lift and then also says used on the 6.5” and 7” lift kits as well. How is it meant for 0-2.5” and then also used on the 6.5” and 7” lift kits?!?! Wth?!?

Can someone help me here? Also, aside from these specific shocks, I tried to find a different brand that would fit a 4.5” lift for the 2wd but all I could find was shocks for 0-2.5” lifts and I think one set for 4”.

What are all of your 2wd owners doing for shocks on your lifted trucks?? Or is there something here I’m not connecting or seeing right? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

El_Dude

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic SLT
Engine
The 4.5 kit doesn't come with front shocks. I bought the 4.5 kit as well but w/ maxtrac rear shocks. I have it still in my garage, haven't installed yet. With this kit it doesn't change the length of the front shock so you can keep stock shocks without issue if one would choose. There are no spacers in the front for the 4.5. The 6 and 7 lift uses a front spacer with the spindle which changes the shock length and that's why those kits come with shocks.

I bought it from Nick that's on this site, he's a reseller, he'll get you a better deal than the maxtrac site. Let me get his username so u can ask him about getting the shocks for the front as well if u want them.

Nick@gotexhaust

That's his handle

Last edited:
OP
OP
OnSale

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Nock said he is pretty sure they will work for the front, however, I’ve yet to find anyone on the forums who is actually running these Fox 2.0 shocks in the front on a 2wd 4th Gen. I’d feel a lot better knowing for sure someone else has these on their truck and they fit as a “stock” replacement.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If your lift is a spindle only lift then any stock replacement shock will work. If you install spacers or longer springs then you need different length shocks

the_goodguy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nock said he is pretty sure they will work for the front, however, I’ve yet to find anyone on the forums who is actually running these Fox 2.0 shocks in the front on a 2wd 4th Gen. I’d feel a lot better knowing for sure someone else has these on their truck and they fit as a “stock” replacement.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s

Those are the fox shocks that I have on my truck so you are good to go .... @the_goodguy07 also has those on his truck as well and we are both 2wd ...

OP
OP
OnSale

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Those are the fox shocks that I have on my truck so you are good to go .... @the_goodguy07 also has those on his truck as well and we are both 2wd ...

Ok cool so they would be considered a “stock replacement” and with that MaxTrac 4.5”/3” lift kit, it retains the front stock shocks so that means the Fox will work. Thanks for all you help everyone.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
Ok cool so they would be considered a “stock replacement” and with that MaxTrac 4.5”/3” lift kit, it retains the front stock shocks so that means the Fox will work. Thanks for all you help everyone.

Yeep .... so you will be fine ...

OP
OP
OnSale

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Yeep .... so you will be fine ...

Thanks [emoji1360]

Getting my whole order together for the MaxTrac 4.5”/3” lift and some 20x10 wheels with some 35’s and some paint matched pocket fender flares to tie it all together. Should all be ordered today and hopefully here by next week. Excited to transform my truck yet again, probably version 5 or 6 by now lol. My trucks had so many different looks and styles it’s crazy.

El_Dude

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic SLT
Engine
Thanks [emoji1360]

Getting my whole order together for the MaxTrac 4.5”/3” lift and some 20x10 wheels with some 35’s and some paint matched pocket fender flares to tie it all together. Should all be ordered today and hopefully here by next week. Excited to transform my truck yet again, probably version 5 or 6 by now lol. My trucks had so many different looks and styles it’s crazy.

Nice. Post pics please when done. What offset are the wheels?

Sent from my OnePlus 8 using Tapatalk

the_goodguy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks [emoji1360]

Which fender flares did you go with ?

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
Thanks [emoji1360]

Just a heads up .... because you have a 10" wide wheel your warranty with Maxtrac is instantly void ....

They only warranty if you have a 9" wide wheel or smaller

Uncle Damo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have 4" CST spindles on the front of my '14 and used the Fox 2.0 shocks, as you said they only make one front shock specific to our 2wd Gen 4. They worked perfectly and made a very positive difference in control.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry, but I don’t understand why you would put a lift kit on a 2WD
Whats the problem with it.? They may not want a stock heigth truck. Some people will lower them while others go with a little lift or with a big one. Everybody has a choice and everybody can be happy. Go with whatever suites you.