Need jumper cable recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
You would probably be surprised how little the difference is with today's electronics and my 1984 Turbo Z - biggest difference is they now use the bus system for a few more functions.
Other than that, it's just a faster bus now vs. then. But the 84 used a bus to communicate to the logic module, power module, body module.
Actually the fuel/ignition system is almost the same as far as design and theory. New ones use better multi point injection and more coils but overall the system is the same.
Even in 84 the Turbo Z was an uncommon car,and today it's virtually non-exisitant,so it's not really all that applicable to this thread.A 1984 GM /Ford or Dodge truck doesn't hold a candle to the electronics the new trucks have.Not sure why you want to still keep arguing this point about hooking up to a running donor vehicle,but it's getting mighty boring now Paco. Common sense would dictate leaving the donor car off ,till the cables are hooked up,this isn't the days of when you could nose 2 chrome bumpers together and use a piece of barbed wire you stole off the fence in the ditch to jump the positive terminals,been there /done that,but it won't work anymore,lol.
If you want to carry on boosting cars by hooking them up with the donor car running,all the power to you,but please don't promote it anymore.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just used the 84 Turbo Z, all of the 85 and up mopar 4 cylinder models used the same system.
I will give you the trucks and V8's of the time didn't, but the point is that the changes aren't that different from decades old systems. Trucks started to catch up in the early 90's, but 1992 the dodges were about the same as today in design - not as refined though.

Also the alternator output at idle isn't very high so inrush current will not be overly high.

I don't think the donor needs to be running, I just don't think it will hurt anything if it is. Again not saying it has to be running. Lol
Some will feel more comfortable if it isn't I guess :)

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Even in 84 the Turbo Z was an uncommon car,and today it's virtually non-exisitant,so it's not really all that applicable to this thread.A 1984 GM /Ford or Dodge truck doesn't hold a candle to the electronics the new trucks have.Not sure why you want to still keep arguing this point about hooking up to a running donor vehicle,but it's getting mighty boring now Paco. Common sense would dictate leaving the donor car off ,till the cables are hooked up,this isn't the days of when you could nose 2 chrome bumpers together and use a piece of barbed wire you stole off the fence in the ditch to jump the positive terminals,been there /done that,but it won't work anymore,lol.
If you want to carry on boosting cars by hooking them up with the donor car running,all the power to you,but please don't promote it anymore.
By 85, the turbo cars were everywhere down here. Carbs were extinct except for the 5th ave and trucks by that time and of course the Mitsubishi engines.

I get what you are saying, even in the late 80's when I would go visit my Grandmother in North Dakota, none of the dealers there had seen turbo cars

Last edited:

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think the biggest problem with a lot of people jumping cars is getting the positive connected to the positive and negative to the negative (or a ground).
Always surprises me that so many people don't know how to hook up jumper cables!

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you really do that with barbed wire? That's too funny! I would have never thought of doing that lol

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
By 85, the turbo cars were everywhere down here. Carbs were extinct except for the 5th ave and trucks by that time and of course the Mitsubishi engines.
You need to do more research,carbs were still fairly common on north american vehicles in 85,lol.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You need to do more research,carbs were still fairly common on north american vehicles in 85,lol.
I only worked on Mopars! hahaha
Carbs were for neanderthals as far as OEM's. GM and Ford were almost a decade behind Chrysler at the time - on the car lines, trucks were about the same.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I only worked on Mopars! hahaha
Carbs were for neanderthals as far as OEM's. GM and Ford were almost a decade behind Chrysler at the time.
In the 80's Chyrsler didn't have any hi-po vehicles to compete with GM and Ford,and they were both out selling Chrysler.The Mustangs and Camaro's were still using carbs in 85,only the Vette and Grand National were using early fuel injection.Ford started to go fuel injection in 86 and GM in 87

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In the 80's Chyrsler didn't have any hi-po vehicles to compete with GM and Ford,and they were both out selling Chrysler.The Mustangs and Camaro's were still using carbs in 85,only the Vette and Grand National were using early fuel injection.Ford started to go fuel injection in 86 and GM in 87
GLH was a damn quick car, Shelby daytona's were decent running. My 84 Turbo Z would have kept up with most Mustangs and Camaros.
Did you ever work on those early Ford and GM systems?
I could read most if not all of the live sensors and actuate solenoids on the 1983 mopar EFI system using the DRB 1, the DRB 2 scanner really opened it up.

The Grand National was I think top dog at the time. Not sure how Buick pulled that off :)

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
GLH was a damn quick car, Shelby daytona's were decent running. My 84 Turbo Z would have kept up with most Mustangs and Camaros.
Did you ever work on those early Ford and GM systems?
I could read most if not all of the live sensors and actuate solenoids on the 1983 mopar EFI system using the DRB 1, the DRB 2 scanner really opened it up.

The Grand National was I think top dog at the time. Not sure how Buick pulled that off :)
By then i'd left wrench twisting and was in the oil / gas game,pay was about 3X more then twisting wrenches was paying,lol

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
The Autowit sounds like witchcraft!
I dont trust websites that have incorrect syntax and sound like Amazon ads.
I agree, A set of large capacitors will hold a lot of current , for a while, but you need to charge them , how do they do that, not that I bothered to look. My cables when I was still farming where about 12 ft ? or longer heavy welding cable, #1 or 2, don't remember , with the best clamps I could find. They started a few heavy diesels.
But with all the computers in the newer trucks, cars , I am Leary about jumper cables.
I did have a cheap power box, but after a few yrs , it would not hold a charge

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I have 3 big ass Caps on my slotcar track,that are total overkill,(cars will make almost 2 laps after the power supplies are turned off,lol) now i'm thinking about using them to build a jump starter,lol.They're the big round ones in the very far right corner of the pic.

Attachments

• IMG_2761.JPG
    IMG_2761.JPG
    164.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_4904 (2).JPG
    IMG_4904 (2).JPG
    112.9 KB · Views: 9

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
It would work, just a case of the motor starting before the charge is exhausted.
Back when I was in the service end , Radio, TV , I was damn near fried from the power supply cap. in a tube type 12 volt police radio I was servicing and F*** up when the phone rang.
I woke up 12 ft away from the radio.
If you do that , check what the open voltage is on the output.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
It would work, just a case of the motor starting before the charge is exhausted.
Back when I was in the service end , Radio, TV , I was damn near fried from the power supply cap. in a tube type 12 volt police radio I was servicing and F*** up when the phone rang.
I woke up 12 ft away from the radio.
If you do that , check what the open voltage is on the output.
They can be very entertaining (think Big Bang,lol) if you hook them up backasswards,ask me how i know,lol

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I have 3 big ass Caps on my slotcar track,that are total overkill,(cars will make almost 2 laps after the power supplies are turned off,lol) now i'm thinking about using them to build a jump starter,lol.They're the big round ones in the very far right corner of the pic.
There's one the size of car batteries:

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I highly doubt your theory ,so i'm gonna have to disagree with you .The only thing i'll agree with,is the battery does act like a big capacitor,but that's all.You're going to have to find something that backs up your theory.
I did not present a theory and I'm not sure why you thought it was or what your definition of a theory is. Theories are usually used in part, to propose explanations. So, no theory here, just a long history of use cases. I have a career in the automotive sector and what I described is real-world use.

I do respect your disagreement, anything and everything is open to argument and disagreement but perhaps you could isolate what you disagree with and we can explore it.

Jgaz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m going to go back and address the OP‘s original question.

If you’re serious about cables and will pay for quality as you said, check out these guys.

njjeff201

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 E Torque Hemi
Last edited:

DougAZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I did away with jumper cables. Just jump boxs now.
At work I'd do 5-10 jump starts a day on a single charge.
We were using the noco gb40. It was a good box but used a micro USB plug for charging. The female part of the plug wasn't very durable.
The gb 70 has a better charging plug.
Jump boxs have other uses such running compressor for air mattress when camping.