Need Some Dual Exhaust Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

5.7L Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am thinking about upgrading the dual exhaust on my 2012 regular cab express. It has the stock Hemi dual exhaust. I want to free it up a little and get better sound. I do not want the in cab drone especially when I tow my 2700lb bass boat. I had flowmaster dual exhaust installed on my old 4.8L Silverado and could not stand the in cab drone when towing my boat on the highway. I have been looking at magnaflow 14 and 18. Which one is a better choice or is there a better choice out there? Thanks for the help.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Are you looking to do a simple muffler swap or a complete catback system? If you want a complete catback, then the Magnaflow gets my vote for overall sound, performance, and quality. This kit comes with a 22" muffler, but eliminates the resonators and gives you some very nice looking 5" polished tips. If you are just looking for a basic muffler swap, then I would go with the 18" so that you do not have to worry about drone in the cab. The 14" can get loud with the trailer hooked up behind you.

Disturbed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l Hemi
The Magnaflow would be a nice easy install. If you really want to free it up do a full catback. Pricey but will definitely a better setup. I had the Mopar performance exhaust. Made by Borla. No drone, nice little tone. It just wasn't loud enough for me so I kept everything and just replaced the muffler with a flowmaster. I want people to know I'm coming. Hope this helps and it's just my experience.

OP
OP

5.7L Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for the info. Will a muffler swap do anything for freeing it up or will I need to do a full cat back. I am on a budget thanks to some boat upgrades. I really don't want to go over $300.

Disturbed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l Hemi
Magnaflow replacement is what you want then. You can delete the resonators later and then get 5" tips after that to look good.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
With a $300 budget, I would also just go with the muffler swap. The 18" weld on muffler with resonators sounds about the same as the 22" muffler from the catback without resonators.

HookEm Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can probably get a true dual exhaust system within your budget if you go with Magnaflows. I went to a local muffler shop that sells Borla mufflers and asked for options. I'm running true duals with Borla mufflers and the total cost was just over $500 installed. Borla mufflers are a little more expensive than most, so I would think it could be done in your price range. My shop just replaced all the pipes from behind the cats. As for sound, you can hardly hear it in the cab (I have a crew cab). Haven't towed my boat with it yet, but at certain RPM, when I can hear them in the cab at their loudest, it's not an annoying drone. They sound great.