Need to remove tail light 2019 RAM 1500 new style ...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wesley Kottas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
I'm a new RAM owner (2019 new style) after 25+ years of Chevy ownership, and need to remove the tail light. I'm looking to power some new bed LED lights from the trailer wire harness and want to go down behind the tail lights. I've seen prior posts and videos of how to remove the tail lights of a 2018 by removing 2 T25 screws. I did this on my 2019... but they just won't budge. I did notice there are 2 rubber plug-looking items close to each T25. Not wanting to break anything ... I hesitated.

Am I missing a step or just not pulling hard enough straight back, or ..?

Accountant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Laramie Hemi 5.7L
Yeah pop those clips off. Use a flat head to get under the clip. Just go easy since it is plastic.

e0e6f08abc01115ce59a85c028c311a9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gr8ridn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I will be installing the AMP bed extender on my 2019 Ram. The instructions call for removal of the tail lights to attach the mount required for the BAC MX4 tonneau..

That plastic plug is a little confusing. Does it twist or is it simply popped off. Like you I have a sprayed in bed liner done by the dealer. Did this require scraping around the plug?

Thanks for any additional information before I start this installation.

SilverBullet85

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I will be installing the AMP bed extender on my 2019 Ram. The instructions call for removal of the tail lights to attach the mount required for the BAC MX4 tonneau..

That plastic plug is a little confusing. Does it twist or is it simply popped off. Like you I have a sprayed in bed liner done by the dealer. Did this require scraping around the plug?

Thanks for any additional information before I start this installation.
Look at his picture above: notice his thumb is on that 'larger' diameter piece; just slide a small flat head over top of the larger diameter piece but under the smaller piece and it will pop up like a Turkey thermometer. Once you have it popped up the entire clip will come out.

Arth

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Limited 4x4
Engine
6.7 HO Cummins Turbo Diesel
Check this out.

I'm a new RAM owner (2019 new style) after 25+ years of Chevy ownership, and need to remove the tail light. I'm looking to power some new bed LED lights from the trailer wire harness and want to go down behind the tail lights. I've seen prior posts and videos of how to remove the tail lights of a 2018 by removing 2 T25 screws. I did this on my 2019... but they just won't budge. I did notice there are 2 rubber plug-looking items close to each T25. Not wanting to break anything ... I hesitated.

Am I missing a step or just not pulling hard enough straight back, or ..?

gr8ridn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Look at his picture above: notice his thumb is on that 'larger' diameter piece; just slide a small flat head over top of the larger diameter piece but under the smaller piece and it will pop up like a Turkey thermometer. Once you have it popped up the entire clip will come out.
That describes it perfectly, Thanks

Arth

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wow, someone told me that the 5th gen taillights wouldn’t fit on a 4th gen truck....

You know I'm really not sure. I really would like to get my hands on a set of 5th Gen tails and try it out on my 4th Gen.

Peegeezy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That video actually is him putting new taillights on a 2019 from a 2019...

Arth

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Correct. It was for someone wanting to remove tails from their 2019. Still though there's question if they will fit a 4th Gen.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Yes, but he's putting the 5th gen (2019) led taillights on to a Classic (2019) which by everything I've seen is still the same truck as a 4th truck.

Also, if you look at the video title, it says "install on older models".

Peegeezy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, but he's putting the 5th gen (2019) led taillights on to a Classic (2019) which by everything I've seen is still the same truck as a 4th truck.

Also, if you look at the video title, it says "install on older models".
That’s not a classic 2019 he puts them on that is a 5th gen big horn/lone star model that he is upgrading to the led taillights.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That’s not a classic 2019 he puts them on that is a 5th gen big horn/lone star model that he is upgrading to the led taillights.

You’re right, for some reason I was looking at the white truck even though he’ Installing them on the black truck.... I blame the polar vortex for my stupidity.... hahaha!!!

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You’re right, for some reason I was looking at the white truck even though he’ Installing them on the black truck.... I blame the polar vortex for my stupidity.... hahaha!!!

Haha I've been blaming the polar vortex for everything today.

Rick8325

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Anyone have the part number for those plastic clips? I was pulling one out while running out of daylight and I went full neanderthal on it.

Dennis mo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2019 tail lights will not fit on other generations. The new lights are slightly bigger, different clips to hold them into body, and also different connections.

Arth

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2019 tail lights will not fit on other generations. The new lights are slightly bigger, different clips to hold them into body, and also different connections.

The electrical connector will never stop us but if the fitment is actually that different then that will. Have you actually held one up to a 4th Gen? Not saying you're wrong just would like to see it.

Dennis mo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The electrical connector will never stop us but if the fitment is actually that different then that will. Have you actually held one up to a 4th Gen? Not saying you're wrong just would like to see it.

Yes I tried to install them, the connection could always be made. I’m bummed I can’t fit them.