Need to replace exhaust manifold, need advice on which shorties 2017 Ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ecofx86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
i have a 2017 Ram 1500 4x4 sport. My manifold has two broken bolts on rear passenger side. Looking for recommendation on what shorties to replace it with? any part numbers on bolts to buy. Ill be going with the remflex6022 gasket. I seen some JBA 1-5/8-Inch Shorty Headers on American Truck for $807. any good? any suggestion? I have truck in shop trying to get this done by next week.

Attachments

• 3561383220007988702.jpg
    3561383220007988702.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 23

Black1500Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Have your oem manifolds milled flat.
Shorties are expensive for negligible gains. unless you just want shiny hot tubes under your hood.

You won’t notice any power increase without tuning. All the normal hemi ticks will become louder due to the thin walls (injectors etc)., heat shields usually won’t fit so under hood temps may go up a bit, fitment usually isn’t 100% so you’ll be fussing and cussing a lot installing them (or the shop will).

There’s tons of threads on here about shorties.

Sincerely,

Someone who has afe shorties (got them super cheap, and still wouldn’t buy again)

Last edited:

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Get a bench mounted belt sander, and true them yourself, they are inexpensive at Harbor Freight, getting a new one you will have to season it all over again,(heat soak) a good shop will be able to extract the studs by welding a washer and nut on the hole, don't let them use a bolt extractor on the stud they can cut into a water jacket and the head is destroyed.

Last edited:

Just Bob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
i have a 2017 Ram 1500 4x4 sport. My manifold has two broken bolts on rear passenger side. Looking for recommendation on what shorties to replace it with? any part numbers on bolts to buy. Ill be going with the remflex6022 gasket. I seen some JBA 1-5/8-Inch Shorty Headers on American Truck for $807. any good? any suggestion? I have truck in shop trying to get this done by next week.
I bought Kooks 35101110 Shorties - they are about $2500. They are hand made from 304 stainless, TIG welded, and fit flawlessly. See my threadn"Not Quite DIY - Kooks Shorties". Most other cheap shorties are not worth what you pay for them.

Just Bob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
If you want the stock logs, I believe the ones from my 2019 will fit and they are straight, had not broken bolts.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
I went JBA titanium ceramic myself a couple of years ago.
Fit well and no issues.
Used SRT gaskets and SRT bolts.

FFWD to today, I would purchase AFE shorty's as they are a better product than JBA.

Regardless of brand, I also recommend that you lay heavy thick beads or Permatex Ultra Copper on the collectors when bolting up the exhaust to the new shorty's.

This is a known area where leaks can occur. There's no issue of damaging sensors with the product either.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
Or just use a Remflex collector gasket ;)
Yes and agreed, but those collector gaskets can be finicky at times, and depending on how thick they are it could cause fitment issues.

I've used them in past vehicles, but when my shorty headers went on it was just better to lay down heavy thick beads of the ultra copper and call it a day.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
JBA fitment and quality can be hit or miss. We recommend the AFE shorties. They will not warp and crack like the stock manifolds and they will gain you a little power. We also offer the Kooks shorties but they are a bit pricey. You can do long tubes for the price f kooks shorties

message us if you would like a quote.