Need Your Voices Gents - Is there enough for a class action?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I may have it missed it, but what exactly is ABS system failure?

You have your standard components that are problems in the rust belt such as the 4 wheel speed sensors or the 4 tone rings corroding away or breaking teeth due to rust chunks.

What else is a common issue?

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
The 5.7 Hemi is one of the most popular powerplants on the planet, and has been for many years.

The only place I hear of problems is on this forum...

LOL I hear you. I've had dozens of friends and acquaintances over the years with Ram 1500 and 2500 hemis. Never any talk of major problems.

I think a big number of Ram truck forum members (any vehicle forum member for that matter) join up simply because they are having problems and are looking for solutions. They're not necessarily vehicle enthusiasts.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
LOL I hear you. I've had dozens of friends and acquaintances over the years with Ram 1500 and 2500 hemis. Never any talk of major problems.

I think a big number of Ram truck forum members (any vehicle forum member for that matter) join up simply because they are having problems and are looking for solutions. They're not necessarily vehicle enthusiasts.
Well said, and exactly correct. Every once in a while a member will post up a good experience. For the enthusiasts, it's a great place to trade mod ideas and spend each other's money. :happy175:

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
The 5.7 Hemi is one of the most popular powerplants on the planet, and has been for many years.

Of course this is the only place we hear about these problems. Guy who have a problem or have "heard" about a supposed problem come here to tell us about it.
We don't hear from the millions of people who have ZERO problems and are very happy with their truck.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

And the 5th gen forum. And the charger/challenger forums, and the Jeep forum. And on YouTube. The hemi may be popular but the lifter issues are a very large and common problem. Even non FCA guys know all about it, it's literally the first word out of their mouths when I mention either Ram or Hemi.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I asked my mechanic about stronger hardened steel bolts and he said what he was putting in the strongest available. But I didn’t personally get the specific bolt information and research it. I since sold that truck and moved on to a Cummins.
It is a combination of issues, not merely bolt strength. A case hardened bolt is quite different from a heat treated one, etc. There is also an issue of which gasket to use, (OE in my case) and whether or not the manifold has experienced warpage to the flatness of the mating surface. Years ago, I fixed an HT4100 Cadillac exhaust leak whereby a previous shop "fixed" a repeat manifold to head leak by adding an aftermarket gasket where the factory had none; depending upon a true, flat surface for sealing. Inasmuch as there was no factory gasket available, when the customer employed my services to "fix" the recurring problem once and for all, I sent the manifold to a machine shop and had it surface grinded much as a flywheel might be trued. I cleaned the cylinder head surface and installed the manifold just as the factory had originally. I used GM replacement bolts, torqued according to specifications, and there was no recurrence of leakage.

I recently replaced the "R" engine in a 1999 Tahoe. The gasket set which came with the rebuilt long block was sub par. I spent premium money for factory exhaust and valve cover gaskets, as well as factory timing cover assembly. Experience has taught me that "aftermarket" doesn't always get it right when they choose to re-engineer a part design, although they shine well at times. (E.G Dorman has re-engineered and produces an intake manifold for the 1.4L turbo engine in many GM cars so that the turbo check valve for the PCV doesn't fall apart, get ingested, and crack or break a piston.)

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Who wants to hear from them anyways those lucky bastages.... :D
My next door neighbor is into her 2nd Hemi Ram 1500, and her daughter and son in law have their first. These folks collecitvely have had ZERO problems with either "Hemi Tick" or any other issue. Does that count?

Randy Grant

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Far better off going for a Lemon Law than a class action. If need be, document all, peruse all avenues, Do your best to resolve, and then get an attorney when all else fails if warranted.
AS said, class action is for attorneys, not plaintiff's.
They are also good at making headlines.

HandyCruiser

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi (no e-Torque)
I've owned four Hemi engines. One of the two I have now has over 250,000 mile on it. And there has never been a Hemi tick in any of them. It's obvious that the tick is a real problem. It's been covered many times on this forum. But it likely only effects a very small number of Hemi engines among what is likely over a million built so far. Those with the tick are likely to complain and/or look for solutions on the internet, much more so than those like me reporting no major Hemi engine issues whatsoever with nothing to complain about. Overall, I suspect that the quality and reliability of Hemi engines is well within three sigma. That means there's nothing to take legal action over since the engine meets industry reliability standards overall.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It would ultimately serve to reduce Chrysler's ability for as much R&D, harder to bring out new features, make them less competitive. Kind of counter productive don't you think?

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Different owners referring to the HEMI TICK
are referring to 2 completely different things

To 1 group the HEMI Tick is when the 4 manifold bolts that also hold the Heat Shields in place break off, this is just a Manifold Leak, easily fixed

To the other group, the HEMI TICK is when the lifter noise does not quiet down, even if you use the best oil.
some say it is the lifters, others say it is the length of the push rods

To me, i will just use the best Synthetic motor oil that will leave a heavy coat of lubricant on everything when the engine is not rotating

Socalramfan

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
Anyone have any "Performance" Mods on their Ram?

Your Warranty is Null and Void.

The Defense rest.

Last edited:

Jrh2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I am starting to see a lot of people with the service the electronic braking system message that is costing them $800.00 to $1000.00 to fix. Mine just came on/off/on/off/on/off half a dozen times last week, 2017 2500 with only 17,000 miles. At some point I would think they would see it as a failure on their design and not just normal wear.
I drive a 2017 2500 MegaCab w/Cummins as well, and am seeing this fault come and go every time I drive the truck. It also throughs “Service ABS System”s. Mine is also low Milage,@ 28K. Have you learned anything about what’s causing? I think it still warranty item.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have been browsing the forum and have seen several issue that could be brought up as a class action for the 4th Gen Dodge Ram. I have never been the money chaser. However, for the amount of money invested in this truck I figured I would ask this group what your thoughts are on a couple of issues.

Of course the first being the engine knock. If we think this is something we need to pursue we would need the details of the truck and the amount it took to repair (or if you lost faith and sold/traded)

Another one I have seen and experienced is the ABS system failures. Same thing as above, if this has happened how much did you have to pay to fix.

Both of these could be argued from a safety and quality perspective. However, if there are not enough voices with actual hardship then there would be no reason in pursuing. Let me know your thoughts!

Thanks gents.

S/F
Erin Brockovich comes to mind ! ;)

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/8 speed 3.92 gears
I have been browsing the forum and have seen several issue that could be brought up as a class action for the 4th Gen Dodge Ram. I have never been the money chaser. However, for the amount of money invested in this truck ...
With your vehicle being a 2016, why don't you start by listing your vehicle hardships you feel entitled for compensation for?

Elvira

Reaction score
I guess i am a lucky Ram owner. I have had a half dozen rams or so and the last 2 were 5.7 hemi's...not an ounce of trouble and one of the best trucks i have owned and driven. I treat my trucks with tlc and keep up with the normal maintenance. Perhaps that is my reason for having zero issues. My next truck will also be a Ram.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963