Negative wheel offset and when damage is done ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Hey folks. Been looking at wheels on local classifieds and wondering what offset starts to cause damage to the driving components.

For example would a -12 or -18 wheel be causing a lot of damage ? Or is it more the -24 to -50 wheels that cause damage to bearings etc?

Thanks!

Tiped on ifone using Tapatalk and auto correct. Can’t you tell?

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Any aftermarket wheel could cause slightly more wear and tear but if you have good hub centric wheels it shouldn’t have damage. Wider wheels and bigger tires will all cause more wear and tear then the oem wheels. People have been running larger wheels and tires for years without any extra troubles..... I could see the crazy offset wheels shortening bearing life, say -50, -76. I run -25 wheels and i’m not worried at all about any extra wear and tear.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
ANY

ANY

ANY extra amount you increase leverage on the bearing you increase the chances of wearing faster substantially.

Period

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

co-pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
no more than a + 19 factory wheel........just move the leverage to the outside.......or am i thinking wrong??

Jbp19classic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ANY

ANY

ANY extra amount you increase leverage on the bearing you increase the chances of wearing faster substantially.

Period

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

While true it has to change things, I think saying it substantially increases wear is a stretch. Lifting trucks and fitting high offset wheels is nothing new, people have been doing it for decades with plenty of high mileage trucks running around that don’t seem to have wheel bearings wear out any faster than stock. If a stock truck needs new bearings at say 100k miles, and a truck with offset wheels needs new bearings at say 75-80k miles, can you really even prove it was the fault of the wheels vs the luck of the draw on bearing life? I’ve personally driven highly modified cars and trucks for many years and many miles with dramatically different offset wheels and never found shortened component life to be enough to really measure or worry about.

Jbp19classic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
no more than a + 19 factory wheel........just move the leverage to the outside.......or am i thinking wrong??
You sir may be a genius for pointing that out! As an example of your point, let’s say you start with a factory wheel with positive offset, then move to an aftermarket wheel with 0 offset. The wheel will stick out further, but the leverage point will have moved from being offset to actually being at the center of the rim, and thus should actually be putting less leverage on the bearings than the stock wheel.

co-pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You sir may be a genius for pointing that out! As an example of your point, let’s say you start with a factory wheel with positive offset, then move to an aftermarket wheel with 0 offset. The wheel will stick out further, but the leverage point will have moved from being offset to actually being at the center of the rim, and thus should actually be putting less leverage on the bearings than the stock wheel.

That's the way i see it..........