New Edge Torque Converter on the Way...Some Questions...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vcode70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey Guys,

Yesterday I pulled the trigger and bought a torque converter and some other performance goodies from Moe's for my '14 Express RC/SB 2WD 6spd. I noticed that a few guys put them on their trucks and I was wondering if there were any tricks to the installation to make it easier/avoid headaches. I'm hoping to have access to a lift but I might end up on my back on my garage floor. Any tips or directions would be greatly appreciated! Also, how many hours should I put aside for this project? Thanks.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Install the converter with the headers because you are going to have to drop your mid pipe anyway to get the transmission out of the way. Header install is fairly straight forward, especially if you have access to a lift. Just pull the front wheels and fender liners. Then you can access all the bolts form under the truck. The oil dipstick tube needs to come out before you install your new header, and then just re run it in between the primary tubes after you get the drivers side header in place.

As for the converter, make sure to fill it with fluid before the install. They are greased inside, but you don't want to risk damaging the unit by cranking it up dry.

Tat2hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Also you may experience low rpm surging since you like me have a 2014, on mine the torque converter broke in with in a few hundred miles, so don't be alarmed! Congrats on a badass mod!

sicmadek

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 express qc
Engine
hemi 5.7
Also you may experience low rpm surging since you like me have a 2014, on mine the torque converter broke in with in a few hundred miles, so don't be alarmed! Congrats on a badass mod!

I wanna see some track times of your truck

OP
OP
V

vcode70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Install the converter with the headers because you are going to have to drop your mid pipe anyway to get the transmission out of the way. Header install is fairly straight forward, especially if you have access to a lift. Just pull the front wheels and fender liners. Then you can access all the bolts form under the truck. The oil dipstick tube needs to come out before you install your new header, and then just re run it in between the primary tubes after you get the drivers side header in place.

As for the converter, make sure to fill it with fluid before the install. They are greased inside, but you don't want to risk damaging the unit by cranking it up dry.

Thanks Matt. Can't wait to get started!

OP
OP
V

vcode70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Thanks for the heads up, that would have definitely scared me! I want to do the gears soon too. Is the break in period the same idea as the gears (500 miles, short drives, no punching it)? Thanks again!

Tat2hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the heads up, that would have definitely scared me! I want to do the gears soon too. Is the break in period the same idea as the gears (500 miles, short drives, no punching it)? Thanks again!

I just drove it normal,back in forth to work, ck trans fluid level a few times and watched my trans temp. Now I can lite up my big tires with easy, makes me happy!

OP
OP
V

vcode70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just drove it normal,back in forth to work, ck trans fluid level a few times and watched my trans temp. Now I can lite up my big tires with easy, makes me happy!

Awesome, thanks for the tips!