New Family Member, It's Hers!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hangard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Hangard, RAM1500-03_24.jpg
Hello again.

So I left off looking for a 3.6 and found this private party truck at just above trade in price. Owner works at dealership and was getting an update himself.

It is a 2014 with 170K, a programmer to disable MDS since 70K. Only problems is it needs a bath, the coolant surge tank was kinda low and the left puddle lamp is light only as the turn signal lamp is not flashing. Not sure if I ever bought a vehicle in this nice of condition.
At any rate she is super happy and getting used to an 8 speed shift pattern! This is her upgrade from a '07 Grand Caravan with 396K.

First item up is a coolant flush as owner did not know what coolant is in it and the color is not purple - seems purple is the OEM color if search results are true- but I have Prestone HOAT and distilled water for a flush and fill in the next week or so hopefully. The Carfax report says coolant service 2yrs ago. And then I need to order a replacement for the puddle light/ turn light

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Sorry, but your post made me chuckle a little. You gave a list of things wrong with this truck then say you're "Not sure if I ever bought a vehicle in this nice of condition". Maybe I've just been buying new vehicles for too long LOL.

Check your owner's manual. I could be mistaken but I thought it said to use OAT coolant. But either way, make sure you completely remove whatever type of coolant is in there now before filling with either type.

If your coolant recovery tank was low it's likely you have a coolant leak, so keep an eye on that.

Harley Harrold

USAF Ret. 36+ years service
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
:party36: :welcome::party36: I use only Zerex G-O5 coolant, made for aluminum radiators, change every 5 years.

2.JPG
4NPN9_AS01.jpg

marine0311

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I understand your list of things wrong with this Ram, then go on to say this is in "nice" condition. I personally would rather have a Ram in yours condition than a new twin turbo 6cyl. Those of you who are into either the twin turbo/electric rams. I hope you enjoy them, and continue to be whatever your hearts desire. I will contribute to your delinquency by NOT buying them.
Instead I will be happy to "adopt" your older, hopefully extremely well maintained Hemi Ram.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
Sorry, but your post made me chuckle a little. You gave a list of things wrong with this truck then say you're "Not sure if I ever bought a vehicle in this nice of condition". Maybe I've just been buying new vehicles for too long LOL.
Same here. I don't usually mention that because I don't want to sound like I'm belittling anyone's choices, many made according to budget. I am blessed beyond belief to be able to trade out every 2 years...I haven't owned anything out of factory warranty since 1994. Not everyone can do that, not everyone wants to do that...It's just my thing.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Same here. I don't usually mention that because I don't want to sound like I'm belittling anyone's choices, many made according to budget. I am blessed beyond belief to be able to trade out every 2 years...I haven't owned anything out of factory warranty since 1994. Not everyone can do that, not everyone wants to do that...It's just my thing.
I understand how my post may have come off. My comment wasn't meant to belittle anyone, just that the contrast in his statement made me chuckle. I've owned my fair share of beaters as well. My first eight cars combined cost less than one monthly payment on my newest vehicle. :D

My apologies to @Hangard if my post came off wrong. It's exciting to get a new car or truck, no matter what year it is or what condition it's in. Congratulations on your new truck!

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie 4x4 QC, True Blue Pearl
Engine
5.7L Hemi
@Hangard I hope my post is not too late but the Mopar coolant is purple when new and in the jug. It turns orange a short time after adding it to your system, see pic...

Attachments

• 387525497_3553584548213403_14713469002628267_n.jpg
    387525497_3553584548213403_14713469002628267_n.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 2

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Your ram likes oats for coolant, makes it easy for me to remember, earlier models did use hoat ,but around 2013 is when mopar switched.

OP
OP
H

Hangard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Well Thank you all for the welcome.
@mikeru - No offence taken!
I had no ideal that the comment about surge tank level would start a coolant discussion.
I had read several of such threads researching about my '04 2500 5.9 24V when taking care of my exhaust manifold leak - that spiraled into a turbo replacement along with several nearby components, including coolant flush and refill.

Seems the consensus was flush the unknown and refill with OEM product or HOAT. So Ram (well Dodge) truck and new RAM truck left me imagining the same here. I have the Prestone, but it is in the jug yet. I would like to have less types of whatever products if possible, yet I will use a different oil in the Diesel engine than I will use in the Hemi, so if needed I can surely have two coolants around.

I cannot believe I am about to ask: What are the benefits of OAT? Is there a gasket life due to a scientific reason, does one or the other stay closer to the inner surfaces - I had read about micro bubbles and with some products that became a issue on the molecular level that prevented proper cooling. Maybe its water pump seal wear longevity.

Anyway I am ready to learn something new! So are the drain plugs in the block difficult? Simple Hex head I can put a socket over or do I need a bit that fits in a hex hole inside the plug?

@Curmudgeon That is some new information to me! I had no ideal that any coolant did that. The coolant I use in my Honda motorcycle is purple IIRC and stays the color that it came in the jug no matter how long I drive it. This one has a Sickly clearish yellowish tone to it, so I figure it should be changed, if not by date alone surely due to the unknown component of it.

See, this is why I came here. So much knowledge and even some friendly banter to go with it! Thanks all.

OP
OP
H

Hangard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
So a quick update on my Prestone jug. Here is a picture of a part of the back label.
OAT is listed. First. As they are not alphabetically ordered I have no idea what to make of that.

So with these listings I felt it was good for the Diesel and simply imagined it was good for the HEMI - espcially as I intend to fill with distilled water and then flush before refilling. I intend to drain the block the heater core the radiator and the surge tank as part of the process.

Attachments

• PrestoneLabel.jpg
    PrestoneLabel.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 4

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I have no experience with that Prestone coolant. Most of my experience is with the older green stuff. I haven't had to add coolant to any of the vehicles I've owned since before I started buying new LOL. All I know is what I've read, that it's not good to mix different types of coolant. That Prestone says it mixes with several types so I'm a little confused myself. I'd probably just pay the dealer tax and go with Mopar brand coolant of the type recommended in the owner's manual. After a complete flush of what's in there of course. I'm sure others here with more experience using newer coolant types will stumble in and sound off.

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I understand how my post may have come off. My comment wasn't meant to belittle anyone, just that the contrast in his statement made me chuckle. I've owned my fair share of beaters as well. My first eight cars combined cost less than one monthly payment on my newest vehicle. :D

My apologies to @Hangard if my post came off wrong. It's exciting to get a new car or truck, no matter what year it is or what condition it's in. Congratulations on your new truck!

I thought same thing as your first post :)

@Hangard Why are you doing anything with coolant? These aren't old trucks were you did it every 1-2 years or so. Unless your having issues. Should last at least 5 years, some claim 10 years.
Wouldn't worry about the color either.