New guy, Dakota owner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FloridaGuy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've been a member for a little while. Joined because I wanted to research reliability and problems of the Gen 4 Hemi 5.7. I have a 2001 Dakota with the 4.7L V-8. 274K miles, original engine, tranny. Engine has had cam chains and lash adjusters changed, but bottom end completely untouched. To say it's been reliable would be an understatement.

I really like the newer 5.7 Hemi Ram. Looking at 2014 to about 2019, but to be honest, I'm a little scared about the reliability. I have read too many horror story's here about valve lifter failure leading to a grenaded engine.

So every now and then I will look at a truck at a dealers lot. Latest item of infatuation is a 2014 Ram short bed RT. Has the 3.92 rear axle with Chrysler anti slip, or whatever they call it. 110,500 miles. Leather interior, bed cover. Really nice. I did a online search for 2014/15 R/Ts, and 12 come up nationwide. So you don't see a lot of these. They are asking 21,900 or thereabouts. From what I can tell, that may only be a little overpriced.

I'm just afraid I'll buy the thing and then start getting hit with all sorts of problems. The old Dakota is about dead nuts reliable, and when something does go wrong, it's pretty straight forward to take care of.

So what do you think? Am I worrying too much or should I just take the plunge and get it?

Thanks,
Doug

Last edited:

ANGLICO

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 L Hemi
Welcome to the forum. I can't help you on information or even an opinion on the specific truck/year you are looking at. However, I can attest that the '90s through your year Dakotas are solid. I have a '93 with 103,000 original (and it is a daily driver for a short commute) that just absolutely will not stop, and is almost zero maintence.

---> I would also recommend that you go the 4th Generation Forum on this board and ask the same questions in your original post. You might get immediate answers there.

4th Gen : 2009 - 2018 & 2019 - 2023 Classic​

Discuss anything about your 4th generation Dodge Ram truck here.

Stavinksi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
At 21.9 it doesn’t seem like that’s really saving you all that much in the long run over new. Keep running yours and wait for this crazy used truck market to settle?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357