New Guy on the block (looking to buy used truck)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Old Mopar Guy

Old Mopar Guy

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
turkeybird56,
Thanks for the build sheet!!!

My niece lives in Texas, next time we are there, the beers are on me!

OP
OP
Old Mopar Guy

Old Mopar Guy

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Me too! That was my first car I owned when I went in the Air Force in '77.
It was a 1970 Runner with a 383HP (with the Air Grabber hoodscoop), A727B torqueflite trans. Originally has a 3.23 Hotchkiss in the rear, traded it for the DANA 4.10 in the picture.
A freind a I built up the engine and trans from the Direct Connection Racing Catalog which I still have to day. It was under the 11-12 sec bracket racer specs. We placed a Fairbanks Slighshot 11" 4,500 stall torque converter and a B&M manual valve body in it and the engine was around 425HP ish.
It ran mid 12 secs at the strip. Wish I had it today!

Sad, thing happened to me when I lived in the barracks my roommate was getting out and moving to Alaska to trap for a living and wanted to sell me his '70 440-six pack, 4-speed Cuda for $1,500. At my rank at the time I could only afford my Runner. I missed out!

Ah, the things we wish we still had today!

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Me too! That was my first car I owned when I went in the Air Force in '77.
It was a 1970 Runner with a 383HP (with the Air Grabber hoodscoop), A727B torqueflite trans. Originally has a 3.23 Hotchkiss in the rear, traded it for the DANA 4.10 in the picture.
A freind a I built up the engine and trans from the Direct Connection Racing Catalog which I still have to day. It was under the 11-12 sec bracket racer specs. We placed a Fairbanks Slighshot 11" 4,500 stall torque converter and a B&M manual valve body in it and the engine was around 425HP ish.
It ran mid 12 secs at the strip. Wish I had it today!

Sad, thing happened to me when I lived in the barracks my roommate was getting out and moving to Alaska to trap for a living and wanted to sell me his '70 440-six pack, 4-speed Cuda for $1,500. At my rank at the time I could only afford my Runner. I missed out!

Ah, the things we wish we still had today!
I know what you mean. The one's I remember the most letting get away was around '81 and '83 area I had a chance to buy a '70 Superbird for $3500 and a '70 AAR Cuda for $5000 and I laughed at both of them saying that's about what they cost new! Guess you and I know who's laughing now! If you're interested in seeing old Mopars and hopefully have some pictures of your own to add go to the search box in the top right corner and type in "Mopar cars and trucks" you can see a bunch of mine and a lot of others. Would love to see any you have to add also.

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
I know what you mean. The one's I remember the most letting get away was around '81 and '83 area I had a chance to buy a '70 Superbird for $3500 and a '70 AAR Cuda for $5000 and I laughed at both of them saying that's about what they cost new! Guess you and I know who's laughing now! If you're interested in seeing old Mopars and hopefully have some pictures of your own to add go to the search box in the top right corner and type in "Mopar cars and trucks" you can see a bunch of mine and a lot of others. Would love to see any you have to add also.

Ahhh - the Superbird, I got a little story for that one. My brother and I had bought a 1960 Plymouth station wagon with a 392 hemi in it out of a '57 300C for $60 to build a hot rod. A friend of a friend had a '70 440 Superbird that needed engine work and wanted to trade me the car for the engine and $500. I didn't have my license then, unfortunately my dad said absolutely not, no way.....sigh. On a side note, we never did build the hot rod, but had a blast cruising Northampton St in Easton and Hamilton Blvd in Allentown in that wagon.

OP
OP
Old Mopar Guy

Old Mopar Guy

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I was home on leave in Milwaukee, Wi around 1979. There is a crusing area called HWY100 it is a straight stretch of road for miles and you can parallel park on the sides of this two lane in each direction stretch of road. I had gone out that Saturday night crusing in my Runner and decided to pull over and park with the rest of the MOPAR muscles cars there. There had to be a dozen at least. Before my trip out from Minot where I was stationed my friend and I built up my motor. The guys all had their hoods opened. I opened mine and an older fella came up to me and said I had a very nice Runner and if I'd be interested in trading title for title for a Daytona Charger 440 or Superbird 440? I didn't carry my title and the car was licensed in North Dakota. This guy said he collects MOPARS and hadn't seen a '70 Runner as nice as mine and with an Air Grabber hood.
Another missed opportunity!

metalchewy

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 TRX4
Engine
4.7L
Welcome.

After doing a bit of research from Vegas and seeing the crazy Dodge truck prices here, I actually spent a couple hundred on a ticket to Utah where I found a truck that was right for me.

Nevada and Arizona had a lot more inflation than the 4x4 trucks that I found in Utah and Idaho. I searched Phoenix area as well. I Had 6 picked out to look between SLC and Idaho falls, and ended up finding the best Truck on the old highway near Brigham city not on my list. Took a couple days but I found one that fits what I need for the price I was after.

Good luck on your search.

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I have several vehicles. This is for our second part-time home in Arizona.
I have $35K cash to spend. I need a truck because the wife is buying furniture and I need the truck for this. We are renting trucks while here and I'd rather have our own.
I don't want a payment as I am semi-retired (second time, first was USAF for 20yrs) and don't want more bills.
My intent is to find a one owner, lowest miles, maintenance history with no accidents. I see Dodge Rams all over Arizona and Washington State. I know that they have a great rep and resale as well.
I just don't have a local friend that owns one that I can rely on.

Sorry, I'm in love with these trucks, I just don't know all the specifics and doing research on them is a bit overwhelming!
I appreciate everyones input.

Erik

Ah, was just curious.
Used truck market in US has had some crazy high prices.
I think it might get even a bit worse with Hybrid/Electric trucks coming.

OP
OP
Old Mopar Guy

Old Mopar Guy

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
NEED HELP ASAP PLEASE!!!

This available now. I'm getting the CARFAX now from this dealer. He's been selling trucks for 30yrs and only sells what's in great condition. Not pieces of crap.

The price is everything, tax. license and all the necessary costs. The interior pictures were taken before truck was fully detailed. I called them and asked about the dirty between the drivers seat and console in the picture taken from behind. They said that was before the detail was done.
And will send me another picture / video.
They said they have one other person from Northern California that maybe coming out to look at it the end of this week.

I need to know if this is a GOOD DEAL or not.

thanks,

Erikl

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
NEED HELP ASAP PLEASE!!!

This available now. I'm getting the CARFAX now from this dealer. He's been selling trucks for 30yrs and only sells what's in great condition. Not pieces of crap.

The price is everything, tax. license and all the necessary costs. The interior pictures were taken before truck was fully detailed. I called them and asked about the dirty between the drivers seat and console in the picture taken from behind. They said that was before the detail was done.
And will send me another picture / video.
They said they have one other person from Northern California that maybe coming out to look at it the end of this week.

I need to know if this is a GOOD DEAL or not.

thanks,

Erikl
I can't really help you but I looked it up on KBB in my area and I seen between $34,000 to $37,000. That's all the help I can give, sorry. Good luck!

OP
OP
Old Mopar Guy

Old Mopar Guy

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
They have this one too:

OP
OP
Old Mopar Guy

Old Mopar Guy

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Why is KBB only showing Durnago as a choice?!
I can't get it to show a truck as a choice.

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
They have this one too:

$13,500 difference in price! But it's 4 years older and a 6 speed vs an 8 speed. IF that's the only difference, they are close mileage wise I'd have to look at the '14. I personally would have to look at and drive them both before I could choose. I'm sure that doesn't help, sorry.

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
Why is KBB only showing Durnago as a choice?!
I can't get it to show a truck as a choice.

Are you looking under Dodge or RAM? Ram's are listed separately on almost all the sites since they split off as their own brand. I use Edmunds True Market Value (TMV), KBB wants me to turn off my ad blocker before I can see anything on their site.

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
I agree with 2012RAM1500RT, I'd lean towards the 2014 also, especially what you're going to be using it for. The 2018 has a few more creature comforts\options, but if you don't need all the bells and whistles, save a few donaro's

OP
OP
Old Mopar Guy

Old Mopar Guy

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Crap, its under RAM. What the heck over?
The 2014 has cloth seats. Not a fan however the price might sway me!
The 2018 is leather and the color blue is my fav. This truck has a bunch of extras on it.

Were there any problems with the 2014 that i should be concerned with???

OP
OP
Old Mopar Guy

Old Mopar Guy

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
i have spoken both to the wife and husband at the dealership on her cell phone. They seem like descent people. They been selling for 30yrs and don't sell junk/crap.

OP
OP
Old Mopar Guy

Old Mopar Guy

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
CARFAXES:
2014 & 2018

Attachments

• IMG_7254.PNG
    IMG_7254.PNG
    208.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_7255.PNG
    IMG_7255.PNG
    183.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_7256.PNG
    IMG_7256.PNG
    196.2 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_7257.PNG
    IMG_7257.PNG
    227.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_7258.PNG
    IMG_7258.PNG
    206.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_7259.PNG
    IMG_7259.PNG
    226.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_7260.PNG
    IMG_7260.PNG
    180.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_7261.PNG
    IMG_7261.PNG
    232.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_7248.PNG
    IMG_7248.PNG
    215.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_7249.PNG
    IMG_7249.PNG
    182.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_7250.PNG
    IMG_7250.PNG
    187.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_7252.PNG
    IMG_7252.PNG
    189.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_7253.PNG
    IMG_7253.PNG
    189.8 KB · Views: 3

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Wish I could tell you what you should do. You'll have to decide if the leather seats are worth it to "you". I much prefer leather seats also but $13,500 difference. I hate choices like that. I can't be any help to you. Seems like you already know what you have to choose between.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca