New here but not to Dodge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dodge trucker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As title says. Currently have my project truck, an 85 D150 slant 6, a 96 Dakota club cab 318 4wd, a 99 Dakota 2wd 3.9 club cab and an 01 Durango 360.
I'm a fleet mechanic for the state of Illinois. They love their ford's I sure don't. I have yet to own anything besides a Dodge or jeep.
I'm 54 years old.
Currently considering buying a newer (2010-12ish) truck but having difficulty finding what I want.
Which is a plain old reg cab long bed.
Quad cabs and crew cabs with their silly short beds look so out of sorts to me and the shortness of the beds isn't useful at all to me.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
:welcome:

Lufty

Muskies Bite
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 REBEL
Engine
welcome!

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
As title says. Currently have my project truck, an 85 D150 slant 6, a 96 Dakota club cab 318 4wd, a 99 Dakota 2wd 3.9 club cab and an 01 Durango 360.
I'm a fleet mechanic for the state of Illinois. They love their ford's I sure don't. I have yet to own anything besides a Dodge or jeep.
I'm 54 years old.
Currently considering buying a newer (2010-12ish) truck but having difficulty finding what I want.
Which is a plain old reg cab long bed.
Quad cabs and crew cabs with their silly short beds look so out of sorts to me and the shortness of the beds isn't useful at all to me.
Welcome! I've been Mopar only for 46 years. I have a regular cab with the "silly" short bed. I also have the "silly" little shifter in the console (as some call it). I admit, I buy a truck for looks. If I need to haul a sheet of 8 ft. plywood I leave my tailgate down or hook up my 5x10 trailer and haul what I need. I guess some use the word "silly" when others buy or have something they don't find useful! Anyway, welcome to the forum and hope you find some information useful here. Looks like you have a good assortment of Mopars!

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Welcome! I've been Mopar only for 46 years. I have a regular cab with the "silly" short bed. I also have the "silly" little shifter in the console (as some call it). I admit, I buy a truck for looks. If I need to haul a sheet of 8 ft. plywood I leave my tailgate down or hook up my 5x10 trailer and haul what I need. I guess some use the word "silly" when others buy or have something they don't find useful! Anyway, welcome to the forum and hope you find some information useful here. Looks like you have a good assortment of Mopars!
YUP, got the silly 67" bed too, LMAO. If I need to get something that much bigger, got a 14' Stock trailer, does fine, hee hee.

OP
OP
D

Dodge trucker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a trailer too... but I find that if I can fit it in the truck, even the same weight of what I am hauling plus the weight of my utility trailer in the bed, it handles better than spreading it out between a truck and trailer. and easier to park when I don't have to consider a trailer too. Yeah the trailer has its place, sure... but nearly every time I gotta go get something. I have had several 6-1/2' beds such as both my Dakotas have.... but another consideration/ I like to camp and my tent has gotten "marrooned" before and I have had to sleep in the truck bed.... I DON'T FIT in a 5'3 or 5'7 bed!!!
and turkeybird... my son just bought a '17 truck like your big red one only he got the Cummins and a 6 spd stick.

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
I have a trailer too... but I find that if I can fit it in the truck, even the same weight of what I am hauling plus the weight of my utility trailer in the bed, it handles better than spreading it out between a truck and trailer. and easier to park when I don't have to consider a trailer too. Yeah the trailer has its place, sure... but nearly every time I gotta go get something. I have had several 6-1/2' beds such as both my Dakotas have.... but another consideration/ I like to camp and my tent has gotten "marrooned" before and I have had to sleep in the truck bed.... I DON'T FIT in a 5'3 or 5'7 bed!!!
and turkeybird... my son just bought a '17 truck like your big red one only he got the Cummins and a 6 spd stick.
PXL_20210828_195510847~3.jpg
I hear what you're saying on the 5'3 and 5'7 beds. I'm 6'1 and my wife is 5'10 and we camp in this. My bed is 6'4 so it works pretty good for us.