New Member and I got questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sixtydriver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello All,

Just joined the forum today and would like to pick the brains of some like-minded individuals. I am an Army helicopter pilot and am currently in Afghanistan at the tail end of a deployment. When I return home in Feb I will have no vehicle and my "congratulations on not dying" present to myself will be a 2012 Ram 1500 4X2. I have more or less talked myself into the Outdoorsman, just because, but have general questions after that. So:

Crew vs Quad Cab. Huge difference in rear seat leg room?

Rambox. Novelty waste of 1100 bucks or "Jesus how did I ever live without it?"

17" wheels are standard. Benefits/drawbacks to that? Go with the 20"?

I've wanted a Ram since I can remember, now is the time, I just don't wanna have any should have done this after I buy it.

Thanks for any input at all.

EJM05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
440 Big Block
Welcome!!!

Go with the crew cab for sure!! I Upgraded from the quad to the crew and there is a huge difference. 17 or 20. personal preference. rambox is sweet. i dont have one but wish i did.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Crew cab, and 20's for sure...unless you find someone like me soon, that is selling his stock 20's for soemthing different.

Musclemckeester

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Welcome and thank you for your service!

QC vs. CC - depends on if you haul more in the bed or will be carrying passengers. I went with the QC for better fitment of my 4 wheeler in the bed, but carrying 3 passengers in the back can get pretty tight. If you don't need to use the bed everyday I'd say go with the crew cab for sure.

I've seen an outdoorsman with the 20s and it looks good. The 17s are more designed for if you will be taking it off road in that case the smaller wheels are better.

I've heard good things about the rambox from people that have it. There again, you will sacrifice some bed space with it.

I know you said 4x2...but are you sure you don't want a 4x4? I have to ask.

chris h.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you for your service, my wife just returned from Kandahar herself. I have the Crew Cab and love it, I don't need that extra bit of bed you lose with the bigger cab. I've had a lot of friends in the back of my truck and they all have been happy with how much room.

txbass06

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum

QC vs. CC - depends on if you haul more in the bed or will be carrying passengers. I went with the QC for better fitment of my 4 wheeler in the bed, but carrying 3 passengers in the back can get pretty tight. If you don't need to use the bed everyday I'd say go with the crew cab for sure.

I've seen an outdoorsman with the 20s and it looks good. The 17s are more designed for if you will be taking it off road in that case the smaller wheels are better.

I've heard good things about the rambox from people that have it. There again, you will sacrifice some bed space with it.

I approve this message lol

Welcome to RF and thank you for your service. He touched on all the points I was going to ask about too. I'd at least consider 4x4. It's one of those things you'll more than likely need at least once and it'll be a life saver when you do lol.

The ram box is a neat idea and I'm sure a lot of people use it daily, but I don't think I'd use it enough to make it worthwhile, but I'd probably get it if I was in the market for a new truck

OP
OP
sixtydriver

sixtydriver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

It is more of a cost thing than any other. I'm moving to West Palm Beach (the sacrifices I make for my country) in the Fall and plan on this as my daily driver, as in not in the mud and stuff.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
Welcome to RF. Everybody seems to have hit on the things i would have said. 17's vs 20's is a personal preference thing. For the cost of what the dealer would charge to change them you could probably get some nice aftermarket wheels if you wanted 20's, and like said above, you can usually always find somebody selling their stock 20's (which again would be cheaper than the dealer cost most likely)

AV8B6015

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
First and foremost, thank you for your service.
As far as the rest of your post,
Go with the crew cab. It's a lot more room. I have not missed the extra space in the bed at all.
If you plan on getting aftermarket wheels at some point, I'd go with the 17 inch stock wheels until then. If you plan on keeping it stock, I think the 20's just look a whole lot better. Like everyone else said, it comes down to personal preference.
I don't have any use for the rambox, so it would be a waste for me. My buddy has it and loves it, but he's a contractor (construction) so he hauls his tools in there.

Take your time and get every option you think you might want. Then add a few you don't think you'll need.

Best of luck!!!

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
Welcome to the site! and thanks for your service.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Welcome and thank you for your service. Sounds like most of the bases were covered there in the first few posts.

REQN

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Laramie 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Welcome! The ramboxes are sweet. I could live without them, but I'm glad I have them. Remember with the ramboxes you cant put a topper, and its a little harder (but not impossible) to get a tonneau cover. The stock outdoorsman 17s are function and look great, but if youre not offroading then go with what looks better to you. And like Kevin said, if you're going outdoorsman, seriously consider 4x4.

Here's a pic of my most recent rambox experience:
6333216550_eb3854b79b.jpg
339024_2286082784934_1034820039_32124487_1864595308_o by newmphotos, on Flickr

OutlawTrucker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Or get an express cc for $27k ish?

Comes with hemi and 20" wheels. Id get that if I was in the truck market looking to buy.

Stagman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Welcome and again, Thank you for your Service!

I think you would be making a mistake not to get 4wd. I had a 2wd prior to my new RAM, There were countless times I wish I had got the 4wd. I thought I was saving money too at the time. However, now with some of the purchase deals, especially since you will be paying cash, I don't think the savings will out weigh the benefits. If you ever take it to the beach out there, you will be glad you have it for the sand or if you ever head up to the mountains and hit snow/ice, you will thank us.

Good Luck and don't forget once you get home and get your new baby bought remember we like pictures.

Jay

OP
OP
sixtydriver

sixtydriver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Guys, seriously, thank you for all the advice. I think Crew Cab with 20s and a Rambox are in the cards. I can't tell you how many times I've thought about a Rambox full of ice and beer. $30,000.00 cooler. Hey, it is what it is. Haven't decided completely on the 4X4 either way but I have about 60 days to figure that part out.

Looking forward to posting pics. Again, thanks very much for the advice.

tobyjohnson11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
WELCOME!!!!

I had a 04 quad and my dad has a 06 and the crew is MUCH MUCH better. I would never go back to the quad.

Rambox was the best option of the truck. I actually use it everyday. None of my tools or gear is in my backseat now! I love the rambox and if you have any "Man Stuff" you will love it too....

For me 20"s were a must. I was copairing my truck to a sierra denali and pretty much all luxury trucks or suvs come standary with 20"s. Unless you are going to be offroading alot or just hate 20"sI would say get the 20"s.

Post Pics when you get it!

Thor09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I'm like Kevin, I need the extra 6" of bed space vs the back seat so I got the QC. If your staying stock then get 20s. If you want bigger tires, get the 17s because you will need an aftermarket rim to fit the width of the bigger tires anyways.

Thank you for your service for our country. Get home safe and post of pics of your new truck!

OP
OP
sixtydriver

sixtydriver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just ordered it last night. Well, yesterday morning for people in the real world. 1500 Crew Cab Outdoorsman, True Blue Pearl, 5.7, 20 inch wheels and the Rambox. Not a lot of options but the Outdoorsman package had everything I wanted anyways. I was told build/delivery would be 5-6 weeks. Amazingly enough I step on a C-17 to head back to the land of the living 5 weeks from today.

Now all I have to do is stay away from the vendor adds over there on the left...

Thanks for all the advice and info. I am totally stoked and can't wait.

Edit: Happy New Year from TK!

Last edited: