just got a 1500 but I have a lot of questions! Help! Thanks!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NatureNelly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
New to the Ram Family and I’ve had my truck for about two months now and finally want to make my first post! Here is my new (to me) 14’ 1500 5.7 66k fully loaded. Now to start my list of questions! Please feel free to respond if you have any info that may seem helpful!
1. I have the LED package but my right rear has 3 lights out and I have the annoying dash message, is there a fix for these (I work with HV, LV, and do a lot of wiring for my job so I’m not afraid to solder or test with DMM to replace resistors) or should I just buy new ones? If I did buy new I was looking at the Morimoto’s on AT. P.S. I should add that it only happens when I use my turn signal for more that 20-30 seconds. If I don’t use my turn signal all the lights will stay on which leads me to believe that a resistor is blown but I’m not sure if anybody has come across this resister or knows the location of the resistors for the LED taillights. If I have to crack them I'll probably lean closer to replace.
2. Is there any walk through or list of what needs to be done to replace the air suspension with a lift kit? Mine works perfectly but this is my daily now and would prefer something a little beefier since I’ve seen plenty of bags fail in my time (but don’t know the failure rate of these bags specifically). If you did swap your bags or know what kit I should use that would have all the parts that'd be awesome!
3. This is WAY in the future but for anyone that’s done a 6.2 swap, did you keep the 4x4 capability or did you lose that because you had to use the 6.2 transmission as well? Maybe any AM bell housing? I plan to own this truck for a long time so this would definitely be a project of mine. Any write ups on the swap or parts list?
4. Also way in the future but has anyone swapped the diff in the front for an LSD or E-Locker and how do you like it? I have the rear LSD with 3.29 gears and I really like it but Ive heard the complaints. I won’t be towing much except for when I get a little pontoon or small tear drop camper if that. I'd like more offroad capability.
5. Did anyone with the 11 speaker system swap it out? I’m a JL guy so it’s hard having alpine. What'd you go with and what’s your amp placement like. What did you fit in the little roof speakers?
6. I plan to have a All-weather/Offroad setup with tires and rims. My thinking is to use the offroads only when I plan to do 4x4 or bad weather which where I live is common in the fall/winter. I do a lot of freeway driving for work hence why I would like a all-weather road set as well. What kind of road setups do you guys have? For offroad I'd definitely be looking at rims and tires. Leaning towards some Black Rhino 17" with 37x12.
Thanks for any help and info in advance! Switched over from a 12’ Civic and I’ll never look back! I’m in love with this baby!
wkH4IzB.jpg

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Welcome.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't have first-hand replacing the air with steel suspension but I've seen it mentioned a few times, seems like it's as simple as replacing the struts in front, bags in back and then shutting off the air suspension using AlfaOBD or equivalent. Removal of other parts to save weight/clutter optional.

There's no front differential traction aid in the aftermarket but your truck does have BLD which works really well and magnifies the effectiveness of the rear LSD. I genuinely can't understand why anyone would complain about the rear LSD or about traction in general on these trucks they're extremely mobile compared to anything 15-20+ years ago before we had off road focused traction control. The only places traction control doesn't work well are significant mud bogs where you're spending half an hour in the same spot churning mud and cook the brakes, or actual rock crawling like Rubicon Trail kind of stuff. Easy enough I wasn't planning to take my full size pickup that I also drive to work through either of those things anyway, same reason I don't take my wife's pony car to go pick up lumber.

In other words, yeah I know we all drive our trucks a little different and have different expectations but unless you're either really bad at driving off pavement or you drive on some seriously wicked terrain there's just no deficiency of traction on these trucks. I've been doing this a long time, had trucks with lockers at both ends, limited slip at both ends, torsen, G80, varilok, even viscous rear diff and they all have their strengths and weaknesses. My ram's like yours LSD in the back, open in the front and BLD - there's nothing I need it to do traction wise that it's not doing now. If I decided to get back into rock crawling I'd have a different machine for that entirely.

Pretty sure the biggest stumbling block you're going to run into is your plans to run 37's with 3.21 gears. It's OK to do that with the 8 speed trans but you're going to notice the change in torque at the wheels in a big way. In terms of bang for the buck you'll get a LOT more out of swapping to 3.92 gears than you would out of swapping to a bigger engine if you want to run big tires.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
welcome to ramily

yeah 3.21 with 37's doesn't compute. Read a lot of lifted section and what guys run into with 37's and 1500's, since you are talking about many upgrades if you really want that you may want a kingpin solid axle, or upgrade to a 2500 which has a solid axle. Just look at front suspension, everything is puny, and 37's are going to tax that suspension without many upgrades.

co-pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Welcome!...................with only 66k on the clock just enjoy the 5.7.........they can make plenty power too!

OP
OP
NatureNelly

NatureNelly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for the responses everyone! Definitely giving me some insight. I guess I'll have to look into a different tire size option as I'd like to keep the LSD without the 3.92 gear. Thanks for the info on the suspension as well!