New member, frustrating wiper problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TakingChances

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Brand new member here, so I hope I'm doing this post correctly and in the correct place. Also first time joining any forum like this. I'm humbled by a very frustrating experience involving (of all things) my wipers, and am hoping that I'm not alone so someone found a solution.

2004 Ram 1500, Hemi. Original owner. Had a 2001 Ram with the 318 engine before this.

Wipers have become progressively worse over the years in terms of not doing fully effective wipes, and also chattering/squealing when in use. Even with new blades. A few months ago, the dealer parts guys pointed out that my wiper arms no longer have the "key" in them, and suggested that the arms are too sloppy on the pivots, so the arms can't put enough tension on the blades against the windshield. Even though I'm the original owner, I have no idea how long its been that way. Pivots are fine, the arms are not slipping on the pivots. Wiper linkage is all connected and works good, and new wiper motor. Wiper arms and transmission are original, the only new part is the motor.

Bought new wiper arms from Autozone with the key in them. The notch in the pivot isn't positioned correctly though, so the wipers point high up on the windshield. Can't seem to find a way to adjust the pivots, so I bought the OEM motor/transmission combo through the dealer, and that still has the index in the pivot in the wrong spot so the wipers point too high on the windshield.

I have no idea how that caould possibly be the case since it's the OEM part. Should just bolt right on and be perfectly lined up, right? Anyone else experienced this? Please tell me that I'm not alone.

~Frustrated in Oregon as the snow falls outside...

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
You need to claybar your windshield and remove all that grime that is preventing any wiper blade from gliding smoothly over your windshield ...

Go to autozone and buy yourself a claybar kit, takes 30 minutes tops, once you do that you will see the difference ...

The buy some Bosch Icon wiper blades, best thing I did on my trucks windshield ... when I got my truck just months after buying it the wipers were just not wiping away the rain ... I clayed the windshield, applied some ceramic coating and bought the Bosh Icon wiper blades ...

OP
OP
T

TakingChances

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you for responding! Have used clay bar before but never on the windshield. Worth a shot, but the indexing of the wiper arm key still stumps me. Can't put new wiper arms on because then the key/shim puts them way high on the windshield while in the "home" position. Doesn't sound like anyone else has a shared experience, which sucks.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
go to ajunkyard and get rid of those autoparts store wiper arms.

Smokeybear01

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I agree with gofishin. Hit a junkyard and find some arms that are in decent shape. To get around the screeching noise you need to slightly bend the arms so they drag the blade 90° to the glass. If they're pushing the edge forward, they'll shreek in that direction. Eazy peazy. I've done it with 2 vise grips and some cloth to protect the metal. Good luck and welcome to the site. Smokey

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
You could also try allmoparparts in vendor section, might be able to hook you up with the correct parts.