Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Welcome. Don't think I've ever seen a Lonestar that didn't have a sport bumper.

OP
OP
LaramieLoneStar

LaramieLoneStar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks everyone. Truck has 153k miles and is in great condition. Bought it from my father in law who took great care of it.

OP
OP
LaramieLoneStar

LaramieLoneStar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Congrats! I think our 3rd gens are aging way better than most newer trucks
I’d agree with that. Rides a little stiff but most third gens do. Shocks have about 75k miles on them so I’ll look into changing those soon.

grpht03ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Unfortunately I think that's just how they ride because of the stock suspension setup, mainly the springs are to blame. I remember the ride being stiff since new.

From what I've read, the shocks wont have a huge effect on our truck's ride unless you go and change out the springs too. All of the opinions I've read of Bilsteins is they are just as stiff if not stiffer.

Rancho 9000 shocks offer adjustable dampening from soft to firm, but again, with the stock spring setup i don't know if it'd make too big a difference. I'm going to wait until my shocks go belly up and try out the Rancho shocks on the softest setting.

EDIT: Just wanted to add - I think tires are the single easiest thing you can control for a better ride. I had load range E tires on my truck for about 4 years and man on bumpy roads it felt like those tires were made of steel. And that was only at about 42-45 psi. I switched to Michelins and the ride is so much better.

Last edited:
OP
OP
LaramieLoneStar

LaramieLoneStar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Unfortunately I think that's just how they ride because of the stock suspension setup, mainly the springs are to blame. I remember the ride being stiff since new.

From what I've read, the shocks wont have a huge effect on our truck's ride unless you go and change out the springs too. All of the opinions I've read of Bilsteins is they are just as stiff if not stiffer.

Rancho 9000 shocks offer adjustable dampening from soft to firm, but again, with the stock spring setup i don't know if it'd make too big a difference. I'm going to wait until my shocks go belly up and try out the Rancho shocks on the softest setting.

EDIT: Just wanted to add - I think tires are the single easiest thing you can control for a better ride. I had load range E tires on my truck for about 4 years and man on bumpy roads it felt like those tires were made of steel. And that was only at about 42-45 psi. I switched to Michelins and the ride is so much better.

Thanks for the info, I may just hold off then on shocks. I’m running Goodyear’s, same exact ones that came on the truck new. I have no complaint on ride quality. All the 3rd gens I’ve driven or rode in have been that way. I don’t plan on doing much in terms of changing components out for the sake of ride quality. It’s pretty much a garage queen as my daily driver is my work truck that I get to bring home. I will be taking my truck out camping, when weather permits, July and August in Texas is not camping season!

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Great looking Rig did your FIL do anything to the front end it looks Unique. And welcome to the Forum!!

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
He’s from the lone star state as per the Texas plate lol.
1. You're about two months late lol.
2. I don't know where he is from, however his screen name is "Laramie Lonestar" and I can see the Lonestar badge on the door. So regardless of where he is from, the truck is from TX.
3. I can't see the license plate clear enough to see where it's from, but what's the point of bringing it up....?