New Ram 2500 seat help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ben209413

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I just bought a 2020 2500 Tradesman with the standard basic seats. This is my first truck.
It felt great for the ~30 minute test drive. I drove 2 hours later that day and could not wait to get out of the truck. The seat felt so uncomfortable(back, thighs) and I noticed the bumps on the road a lot more after driving it two hours.

Is this normal? Is there a break in period for the seats sort of like there is with shoes? Is there something that can be done to make the seat more comfortable? Or should I see if the dealer will switch it out for one with something above the base seats?

Last edited:

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
Do you have the vinyl or cloth seats? Mine are cloth and are amazingly comfortable in my 2020 2500 Tradesman. My typical drive cycle is 1.5 hours and sometimes I spend 3 hours in the seat on long trips. It did take a few trial and error adjustments to get the back just right but it’s dialed in now.

As for the bumps, check your tire pressure. Higher pressure will result in a rougher ride. I’ve got mine set to 59/61 front/rear and it’s great for my liking.

Firetruck41

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 Mega Cab Hemi 5.7
If this is your first truck... A 2500 has quite a bit rougher ride than any car out there. But as mentioned, you can lower your tire pressure, if you are not carrying much cargo or towing. I have mine at 50 psi front and rear. It's a little more comfortable.

OP
OP
B

ben209413

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Thank you both for the replies. They are the base vinyl seats. I do not think they have any adjustments. The tire pressure is currently 64, but it was at least 15 degrees hotter then and it was being driven.

Last edited:

WoodGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the base vinyl in mine and think they are pretty comfortable overall, but maybe the pattern for the seat was based on a guy who's 6'4" 240 ;). Only adjustment(s) are back and forth and seat back

OP
OP
B

ben209413

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Ha, I was wondering if that was why. I am only 5'9" 150.

I talked with the dealer and since I only drove it for a day, they worked with me to switch for a bighorn with the 8 way adjustable seat. I think it is a lot more comfortable when adjusted, although I have not taken a long trip in it yet.

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
Ha, I was wondering if that was why. I am only 5'9" 150.

I talked with the dealer and since I only drove it for a day, they worked with me to switch for a bighorn with the 8 way adjustable seat. I think it is a lot more comfortable when adjusted, although I have not taken a long trip in it yet.

All joking aside, I hope they didn’t screw you over for a seat...

OP
OP
B

ben209413

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Thank you for the tire pressure tip! I feel the bumps, but they are no longer so jarring.

I do not think they did. I am losing some money from the taxes and fees of course, but none on the truck price. The total price is more though. Here is what happened:

They said that Ram had stopped allowing the option for the manually adjustable seat in the tradesman. I saw that too in the online ordering, and other dealers that had newer 2020 tradesmans listed as having it did not(as evidenced by the photos from the truck). So I decided to go with a big horn, which had the option between 4 way manual and 8 way powered adjustment. I decided if I was going to switch to a big horn, I would pay the small extra for the 8 way powered. There are options that I wanted that no one had in stock and the new truck will have them. We tried to do a dealer trade first for a big horn (without those options), but every dealer we called had already sold them. So they told me that if I wanted to, I could pick out exactly what I wanted and they would order it. I did and we agreed on a price for the big horn and the tradesman, and I get to drive the tradesman until the new one comes in. Not that I am driving it much with how uncomfortable it gets for me if the drive goes longer than an hour.

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
What do you mean when you say the manually adjustable seat option is no longer available on the tradesman? Your comment reads like it’s bolted to the floor and can’t be moved....lol. I’m sure that’s not what you meant as I can move mine.

OP
OP
B

ben209413

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I meant the 4 way manually adjustable seat like is the base seat on the big horn. It has more than just moving the seat forwards and backwards, and tilting the seat back. They said they used to be able to order the tradesman with the 4 way manually adjustable cloth seat, but not anymore.

star_deceiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
If you have the seat too far forward you’ll be on your tailbone... if the seat is too far back the bottom of your thighs will take a beating. There’s a sweet spot... and with limited adjustment and no telescoping wheel it will take you a bit to find it.

Plus side: The vinyl seats and rubber floor are incredibly easy to keep clean. Furry friend puke and hair, beach sand, snow, mud, ect are easily removed!

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
I meant the 4 way manually adjustable seat like is the base seat on the big horn. It has more than just moving the seat forwards and backwards, and tilting the seat back. They said they used to be able to order the tradesman with the 4 way manually adjustable cloth seat, but not anymore.

They must have put the last set in mine then.:D

Capt Derek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO Diesel
My 2020 bighorn 3500 seats are horrible and I am 5'10 and just over 150 pounds, am wanting to trade the truck back in and get my 2013 back they are so bad! have had it for about 3 weeks.

OP
OP
B

ben209413

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Which seats do you have? I am roughly the same size and weight.
I switched out the 2020 tradesman 2500 with the vinyl seats for a 2020 big horn 2500 with the level 1 equipment group and 8–Way Power Adjustable Driver Seat. I find it to be quite comfortable. I drove about 18 hours in the first 3 days after picking up the truck and was comfortable the whole time. For comparison, I found the vinyl seats in the tradesman to be uncomfortable after 1 hour.

Papa Red

Papa Red
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have a 2020 2500 Bighorn and the seats are very comfortable. It's a pleasure to drive. I hope you can get this squared away.

Red

Capt Derek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO Diesel
I just bought a 2020 2500 Tradesman with the standard basic seats. This is my first truck.
It felt great for the ~30 minute test drive. I drove 2 hours later that day and could not wait to get out of the truck. The seat felt so uncomfortable(back, thighs) and I noticed the bumps on the road a lot more after driving it two hours.

Is this normal? Is there a break in period for the seats sort of like there is with shoes? Is there something that can be done to make the seat more comfortable? Or should I see if the dealer will switch it out for one with something above the base seats?

Capt Derek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO Diesel

My new 2020 Bighorn seats are horrible as well, any long trips and I can't wait to get out of it or get to where I am going, working with dealer as well as Ram Doesn't Care, but looks like I am stuck with it, letting others via social media know to take it on about a 200 mile test drive before they commit to buy 20 or 21's

NH RAM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Tradesman 2500 Snow Chief
Engine
The seats in my 19 tradesman are just okay. During my nearly cross-country camping trip I had to stop and buy some pads to try and relieve pressure. For shorter trips of a couple hours they are fine (I'm 6'2 and 197#). I really miss the adjustable lumbar support from my 2016 BigHorn, aside from that, the seat is about equivalent. Eventually I will find a wrecked BigHorn or higher trim and try to swap the seats out to get the adjustable lumbar- all the add on foam pieces are just too big and don't work right. Full disclosure- I had back surgery last year so I may be more sensitive to this than others.