New Ram New Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Samuel Maass

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
I just bought a new used 1998 Ram and i couldn't be happier. Ive always loved the look and sound of these 2nd gen rams and I personally think she looks really good! However there are a couple mechanical issues that i wanted to ask about. The transmission has started to kind of slip; i have to let off from first to second to get her to shift, but other than that it shifts well enough even though i can tell its starting to go. Also, the engine (5.9) has a misfire in cylinders 1 and 8 according to two code readers i checked, which my mechanic said he can't tell whats wrong. However he did say he was surprised with how strong the engine was running otherwise (254,*** miles). So i guess i better ask my question; what can i do to help the tranny? Is it just time for a new one or a rebuild? Or is there something i can try to fix with her to keep her going longer? Thanks everyone.

For reference i got her for 700 bucks so im not mad that she has issues i just am glad to have a vehicle again :)

SportRam00

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
First, look download the Factory Service Manual from this forum.

For the transmission, I would do a complete trans service (fluid (ATF+4 ONLY), filter, and band adjustment).
Next I would do a full tune up (spark plugs, wires, cap, rotor) to see if the misfire goes away. If not, then the intake plenum gasket might be bad.

Start there before moving on to anything more difficult.

jsmith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yep do what SportRam recommended, here's a great video on the band adjustment

Buzz

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7 pullin the War Wagon
Good choice of truck. Have to say, no ride, is no good time. Good Luck.