New rear coil sping 2500 rides like crap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
I'll give you that now. When he bought it. The fronts was at 65-70 and the rears was right at 80psi. I immediately lowered all 4 corners to 50psi. And it rides almost as good as his 14' Chevy 1500 High Country he traded in on it. And when the time comes he needs to tow or haul heavy. We will just sit back up to a sufficient air pressure for the load.

Sent from the Rocket in my Pocket

Did it trip the Tire Pressure Monitoring System stating the tire pressure was too low?

Statcher1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It tripped the front sensors on a cold morning when the tires dropped below 50psi. And the tears as soon as they went below 65psi.

The ride improved when the fronts was at 55 and the rear was at 65psi though.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
It tripped the front sensors on a cold morning when the tires dropped below 50psi. And the tears as soon as they went below 65psi.

The ride improved when the fronts was at 55 and the rear was at 65psi though.

Thanks! I will try that. :waytogo:

Statcher1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good luck dude. If you can live with that light. It's worth doing.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I have had 4 f250 4x4 and a few chevy 2500 4x4 and even a couple older dodges that had leaf springs and compared to the new style of the coil springs in the rear these trucks ride worse unloaded than any 3/4 and 1 ton I have ever drove. Loaded they do great but I just don't see why they went with the coil springs in the rear that's what they were doing in the 50s-70's the leaf spring in my opinion was a far better design and lot less parts to go bad compared to the coil spring set up I have now.

I started driving 3/4 and 1 ton trucks in 1972. I have had many new heavy duties myself as well as driving them while working construction and other jobs. You are correct as this is the roughest riding pickup I have ever driven. I knew that on the test drive and went ahead and bought it. It rides like a Cadillac when I have the atv in the back and the camp trailer hooked on.
Two tons of material doesn't even squat it and improves the ride greatly. I am going to check with the dealer on resetting the tpms for lower tire pressures.

MN-Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I had a worn out 1998 Ram 2500 Reg cab 4x4 and that truck road really smooth. It was almost sloppy but the suspension was smooth. My 2006 Ram 2500 Cummins Quad cab 4x4 wasn't too bad, but it felt similar to my 2015 3500 Ram Crew cab SRW 4x4 going down the road. When I bought my new Ram I knew the ride wouldn't be as smooth as my 2011 Ram 1500, but the payload is about 3 times as much as the 1/2 ton had.

If people want a smooth ride, they probably should get a daily driver and then a HD truck for pulling/hauling.

avolnek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500 CCLB
Engine
I believe i got this from this forum... but here is the process for the dealership to lower the threshold for those TPMS lights...

"Default settings for HD TPMS systems are quite high. Some owners report they cannot find a desired tire size that will accommodate the higher pressures so they must make a choice between wearing out their new tires prematurely or dealing with constant EVIC warnings, a Low Tire Pressure warning light and a rough riding truck.

There is a fix.

This has been confirmed to work on any 2014+ HD truck and on any model. You will have this done at a dealer per the instructions below.

Step 1: Go into the BCM (body control module). Go to "miscellaneous functions". Go to "update pressure thresholds". Set pressure to desired settings. Do not try to do different pressures front and back! Even if you run 10 psi difference front to back you won't get a light. If you plan to run 10 psi difference I suggest your "setting" be in the middle of the high and low just to give you a little cushion.

Step 2: Go into the RFH (radio frequency hub). Go to "miscellaneous functions". Perform "RFH replace" and follow prompts. You will need the PIN number for the truck. That can be obtained through Dealer Connect with the vin number to the truck. When following the prompts - when asked for desired pressure setting - set new pressure levels. You do not need to replace anything - just perform the function to set new levels.

Once the RFH replace function is done the light goes out and the truck will read new pressures after driving a short distance."

reloaderguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
FCA is rolling down Wytech updates removing the tpms threshold options.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
So maybe we should query FCA to see if they are going to start paying for our tires that wear out prematurely
They don't care one bit. They don't care about anything but selling vehicles. Why do you think they are at the bottom of the ratings for customer satisfaction.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
So maybe we should query FCA to see if they are going to start paying for our tires that wear out prematurely

Good luck with that. They will just refer you to the tire manufacturer's warranty and most of the Firestone LT model tires have no mileage warranty, just workmanship.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Ok you lost me... what does this mean? "FCA is rolling down Wytech updates"

I think he means "wiTECH" updates. wiTECH is the scan tool application used at FCA dealerships for diagnostics and vehicle programing.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I feel I must issue an apology to the forum. One hour before it was posted that dealers won't be able to adjust the thresholds I made an appointment for next Monday to have it done. Bad luck follows me everywhere...

reloaderguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I feel I must issue an apology to the forum. One hour before it was posted that dealers won't be able to adjust the thresholds I made an appointment for next Monday to have it done. Bad luck follows me everywhere...

Don't cancel your appointment, not all dealerships have the latest updates.