Rear lift spacer or new coil spring?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

astrodude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Hi guys,

I have a ram1500 2015 Ecodiesel with its air suspension just deleted. I went with a Rancho front stud and rear spring, and installed a sumo spring bump stop to help with heavier load. My truck is mostly loaded with 500lbs tools and after the install, I found the sumo spring is already compressed to a certain degree and the ride is rough because the suspension spring is bypassed. My current ride height is front 37” and rear 39”. I tried to lift my truck with a jack and it seems a at lease 2 inch lift in the back can get the sumo spring barely touch the frame.

Should I lift my rear? Should I use a 2 inch spacer or replace the Rear coil spring? I know Tuftruck has a spring that can increase 50% load while lift the rear by 3”. Should I lift the front too?

Any input is much appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_6763.jpeg
    IMG_6763.jpeg
    208.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_6764.jpeg
    IMG_6764.jpeg
    212.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_6758.jpeg
    IMG_6758.jpeg
    169.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_6757.jpeg
    IMG_6757.jpeg
    200.1 KB · Views: 13

Racer9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You could go to an overload type of air spring that fits inside the coil spring. Then you could adjust as needed.

metalchewy

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 TRX4
Engine
4.7L
The airlift 1000s I put on mine don't provide lift, just help keep the bed from sagging with a load. Even at max pressure they only give about an inch on the offroad heavy duty springs and a stiff ride at that pressure.

I agree with @DILLIGAF above, that if you want to lift the rear 2" get the 2" lifting springs and appropriate shocks to match.

zrock

Reaction score
One get rid of that sumo bump stop i ran similar on my chev and it rode like crap with those installed. Go with a coil that has increase load capacity spacers are just a Band-Aid. Unless you want to lift your truck go with a increased load capacity spring that will keep you at or close to stock height. I put the air lift in mine as well and i like it, my only gripe is i went with a Bluetooth controller as i did not want the manual controller on my dash, with i would have went with a manual controller as the Bluetooth sucks. Im on my second relay, second controller as connection was spotty and now a new harness all under warranty.

OP
OP
A

astrodude

Reaction score
Ram Year
The airlift 1000s I put on mine don't provide lift, just help keep the bed from sagging with a load. Even at max pressure they only give about an inch on the offroad heavy duty springs and a stiff ride at that pressure.

I agree with @DILLIGAF above, that if you want to lift the rear 2" get the 2" lifting springs and appropriate shocks to match.
I’m worried that if I lift the rear by 2” it will be sitting to high at 41” while the front is 37.

OP
OP
A

astrodude

Reaction score
Ram Year
One get rid of that sumo bump stop i ran similar on my chev and it rode like crap with those installed. Go with a coil that has increase load capacity spacers are just a Band-Aid. Unless you want to lift your truck go with an increased load capacity spring that will keep you at or close to stock height. I put the air lift in mine as well and i like it, my only gripe is i went with a Bluetooth controller as i did not want the manual controller on my dash, with i would have went with a manual controller as the Bluetooth sucks. Im on my second relay, second controller as connection was spotty and now a new harness all under warranty.
Initially I wanted to go with the airlift route and even bought all the parts, only to find out they are not compatible with stock air suspension systems even with the deletion. The frame is not the same so there is no way to install the airlift.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What do the rear coil springs look like? Did you just use stock springs?
All you need is a hole above the spring to run an air line down through to get to the bag.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat