New Tekonsha P2 Experience

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The Tekonsha P2 was delivered yesterday. I took it out of the box. I glanced over the destructions. I'd had watched several YouTube vids previously.

The Tekonsha plugged right in. It wedges nicely into the cubby that the factory brake control unit was supposed to be. So installation took about 15 seconds.

My trailer is a 2017 Sure Trac 16 foot Tilt trailer, with one axle. I bought the trailer used. It came from Detro Trailer Sales just north of I70, on US231. The previous owner supposedly used the trailer to haul dirtbikes. This is a 2100 pound tilt trailer used to haul dirtbikes?! Can we say OVERKILL? Anyway, it is conceivable that the trailer brakes were never used. They certainly have not been used for the last 2 years.

So I hooked up the trailer last night, and adjusted the controller to #6, and "initial bite" at #2. I wasn't satisfied with that. I eventually turned the settings up all the way. But I could not get the trailer brakes to lock up, or hold the truck on a hill. Oh well, I'd look into it further later, figuring maybe the brakes needed adjusting.

So this morning when I went to use the trailer, it was empty, by the way. The passenger side trailer tire locked up when I hit the brakes. What the heck? Well, evidently it decided over night, to work. So I backed off on the settings, and all was well the rest of the day.

I guess I'll check into adjusting the brakes sometime soon. I figure if one locks up, so should the other. Something is slightly out of wack.

Making good progress.

OP
OP
RLJ10X

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok, so the passenger side brake of the trailer gets a lot warmer than the driver side. So I look at YouTube vids, and decide I'll just adjust my brakes, and all will be well.

I pop the little covers off, and I don't see the "star wheel". Self adjusting? Oh well, the truck and trailer stop better that they did without the brake controller.

But I'm still open to suggestions.....

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
sounds like your passenger side is either dragging or it's the only one working.
Don't expect your trailer brakes to hold your truck in place and you don't want them to lock up either.

bm02tj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is a proportional control that applies brakes equal to tow vehicle when adjusted correctly
I find best to set up on gravel road so all 6 or 8 skid equally

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If one wheel is locking up and the other isnt then there's an issue with the trailer brakes. If the brakes havent been used in years then I would suggest getting them inspected before you go much further. Like someone mentioned above, one is not working at all or one is dragging too much. It could be as simple as adjustments but since they weren't used for a long period of time something could be seized inside the drum. I personally wouldn't drive it too far until it gets corrected. If you arent able to do it yourself then take it to someone who can for safety purposes

OP
OP
RLJ10X

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
^That's all sound advice. Thank you all.

both brake drums get warm if I go down a long hill with trailer brake applied. One gets considerably warmer than the other. So yes, it is a proportion issue. I've popped off the little oval cover, and there is no "star nut". Like I said, the trailer is a Sure Tac, which I've been told is an expensive trailer. I've come to the conclusion that the brakes are self adjusting.

So either they are going to work themselves loose. That's wishful thinking.

Or I can live with it.

Or one of these days, I can get ambitious, and take it apart and look at it.

And I hate taking stuff apart.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Doing a brake job on a trailer is easy, just order the entire brake assembly already on the backing plate and a new drum. They're fairly cheap and just a couple of bolts hold them on. It's a good time to clean and repack the trailer bearings.