New Tires - Cooper Discoverer AT3 - XLT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ngiovas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I finally got around to replacing the tires on my truck. I ended up purchasing a set of Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT tires that are 285/75R18. I thought I would post my first impressions. I will also come back after I have put some miles on them and add updates.

I have a 2015 Ram 2500 Crew Cab Long Bed truck that I bought in March of 2017. It came with a brand new set of Hercules Trail Digger M/T tires that were 30" tall. All I can say is that they were the worst tire I have ever owned - on a truck or car. They were extremely loud. It was difficult to hear someone sitting next to you talking when driving on the freeway. They had no traction at all. In warm weather, when there was a light drizzle, they would slide when applying the brakes above 35 miles per hour. If the pavement was wet at all, the tires would spin if you didn't apply the throttle carefully. I live in Michigan, so snow performance is important. These tires were so bad that I had to put the truck in 4 wheel drive to back into my flat driveway if there was an inch of snow. I tried adjusting the tire pressure, but nothing helped. I just couldn't go through a second winter with these tires.

I did lots of research and was leaning towards the Cooper Discoverer STT Pro or the Discoverer ST MAXX. I don't put a lot of miles on my truck (it is a second vehicle), so having a mileage warranty wasn't critical. While I do drive and tow on a lot of dirt roads, I also drive on a lot of pavement and need to have good traction when there is snow and ice. While I like the aggressive look of these tires, I was worried about rain and ice performance. A few months ago, I saw the AT3 XLT had come out with a more aggressive look, so I tried to find out more info about it. They were too new to have any snow reviews, but based on the original AT3, it sounded like they should have great performance in all weather conditions and give me good traction on dirt roads. They also come with a 45 day money back guarantee. I called to find out more about this and was told that if I didn't like them for any reason, I could return them for a full refund. While I really like the more aggressive look of the STT Pro, my more practical side kicked in and I figured I would give the AT3 XLT a try.

I have a leveling kit on my truck, so I was originally looking at getting the 325/65R18 tires based on several people stating that they had good luck with that tire size on their 2500. A few people did note that there was slight rubbing with this size. In addition, it was recommended that you have a minimum of a 9" wide rim with this tire size, and I only have an 8" rim. Others said it worked fine for them, but I wasn't convinced. I noticed the 285/75R18 were almost the exact same height in the specs (34.84" vs 34.61), but the 285s were 1.5" narrower which should eliminate any rubbing when turning and they would fit on my 8" wide rims. Lastly, the 285 tire had a slightly higher weight capacity and max tire pressure. Not that I will every max out these tires, but it gives me a bit more flexibility in tire pressure.

I checked with several local tire shops and they all were giving me very high quotes for four tires - an average of $75-$100 more per tire than the online prices. This was not including the install. I finally ended up picking them up for $1019 delivered plus there is an additional $70 rebate. A local tire shop installed them for me for $62. When I started driving home, I almost had to pull over to make sure they had put the tires on my truck. They were that quiet. I was extremely happy with the noise level. The overall handling was good, but this was on basic paved roads on the drive home. The installer had put 60psi in the front tires and 80psi in the rear. The ride was really stiff. I plan to lower them to 55 front and 50 rear to start with (no load) and see how they ride. I measured the height on the front tires when I got home and they were right at 34". While the tires don't have the super aggressive look of a mud tire, they do look good with the updated sidewall tread on the XLT. I can't comment on off-road or snow performance yet, but I will report back after I get some miles on the truck.

I will try to get some better pictures this weekend after I move some of the other cars out of the way. I am really looking forward to putting some miles on these tires. I am driving to Houghton in Michigan's upper peninsula next month. They already have 24" of snow, so I will be able to put these tires to the test.
20181122_094050.jpg

Fearfact

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the same tires, size and all on my 3500 and couldnt be happier. I had AT3’s before that were toasted at 25k Miles, my tire shop warrantied and I decided to try these XLT’s and the mini improvements over my old tires are very noticeable,especially in snow. For our two storms so far they have been awesome on my truck whether it’s travel or plowing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
N

ngiovas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I aired down my rear tires from 80 to 60 and it made a huge improvement. I may take them down to 55psi in the rear, but I haven't decided yet. I think I will leave the front at 60psi for now. A quick chalk test shows that they are wearing evenly in the front, so I don't know that I should go any lower. Now the truck has a much quieter and smoother ride. I am very happy.

One note, we stopped by a friends tree farm today and were driving through some wet soft grass up a slight incline and I started to spin in 2wd. I didn't want to start digging in, so I put it in 4wd and had no problems. I guess I was a little surprised that I wasn't getting any traction. Maybe that is to be expected with this type of tire?

I also took a couple more photos of the truck with the new tires.

20181123_122443.jpg 20181123_122353.jpg

Megazor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Tires look great. I have the same issue with my STT Pros on wet grass. They start to spin to dig in and if I don't want to tear up the lawn I have to put the truck into 4wd. Same issue with my jeep.

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
I run 55 in my rear tires, helps a ton!

Fearfact

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I run 55 all around.. no lights or issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
Quick question, is there a way around the tire pressure monitor saying your tires are too low?

Somewhere on the forum, is a sticky that outlines this issue. I have not done it myself yet, just been living with the warning light

Found it, look in the heavy duty section

Last edited:

4x4x4door

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Adjusting the TPMS settings is easy with the correct device. I rent them if anyone is interested. Shoot me a PM for details or post here and I'll PM you.

When empty 10-15 psi less than the front is common and the way our trucks were setup prior to 2014. The light load button would change the rear setting to 45 while the front remained 60.

I'm glad to people using the chalk test to tell proper pressure. It is the best way and costs nothing unless you have to buy chalk.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Reactions: SyN

maverickmk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Adjusting the TPMS settings is easy with the correct device. I rent them if anyone is interested. Shoot me a PM for details or post here and I'll PM you.

When empty 10-15 psi less than the front is common and the way our trucks were setup prior to 2014. The light load button would change the rear setting to 45 while the front remained 60.

I'm glad to people using the chalk test to tell proper pressure. It is the best way and costs nothing unless you have to buy chalk.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
I'm interested in the details, please send me a PM.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Somewhere on the forum, is a sticky that outlines this issue. I have not done it myself yet, just been living with the warning light

Found it, look in the heavy duty section

threshold is set in the computer at the factory. to change it youll need autel scanner. wheres the problem ?

OP
OP
N

ngiovas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
People are asking about the TPMS warning. I reprogrammed mine to 45 PSI so that I don't have to deal with the light. I figure it will still let me know if the tire gets extremely low.

I think wet grass is a unique situation. I drove 10-15 miles on very muddy dirt roads while it was raining. At 45 MPH the truck was very stable. I had no slipping at all. I even did some braking and acceleration and was very impressed with the performance. We are supposed to get 5-8" of snow today, but unfortunately, I am traveling and won't be back until the end of the week. I guess I will have to wait until the next storm to test the snow performance of the tires :)

Cougs57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Very helpful thread. I wanted to voice my input as I have also been eyeing these tires for a while. I finally bought the 275/70/18s for my new 18 inch rims. The size you purchased is very expensive and uncommon hence why it was so pricey. :) You could have went with the 275/70/18 and spent about $300 less. :) Pay to play I guess. Main reason I am staying in this tire size. I cannot find a comparable 18 inch tire size with lots of options that is a little wider and not much taller than stock.

DarthMegaHD

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4 MegaCab 4x4 Black Edition
I just ordered a set of Amp terrain grippers in 305/70-18 for $847. Can't speak for noise or traction yet, still waiting on them, but they look good and was a heck of a deal for the size. Roughly 35 tall and 12 wide

I also heavily considered Cooper st maxx, even the xlt for a moment, but took a chance on the amps I guess