New to Diesel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hankrebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I traded in my 1500 LoneStar for a 2016 2500 BigHorn Diesel and its the first diesel I've owned.
I wanted the diesel because we bought a 36 foot travel trailer that needs more than the 1500 in front of it.

The new to me 2500 only has 33,500 miles on it and ready for a fuel filter change.
Oil change was just completed before I bought it.
Any other maintenance items I should look out for besides the normal stuff?

I do have a weird high pitched squeak at the end rear end that I cant seem to locate. Its only when going over bumps and I can duplicate it bouncing on the back bumper. I think it may be the sway bar end links, but dont know for sure.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Oil and fuel filters should be changed at the same time, every 15k miles. Engine wise, crank case filter needs to be changed every 65k and overhead adjustment every 150k.

I had a squeak when I first got mine too. Ended up being a loose nut on the spare tire shield. Never came back after tightening it.

Fake-Account27

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
2nd Fuel filter change which is eaiser to do then the oil filter Plenty of youtube videos out there on how to do it. You might want to change the air filter while you are at it.

Love my 2018 Cummins, also my first Diesel. I tow a 33 ft travel trailer. The exhaust Brake is your best friend, I will never go back to gas.

OP
OP
Hankrebel

Hankrebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
2nd Fuel filter change which is eaiser to do then the oil filter Plenty of youtube videos out there on how to do it. You might want to change the air filter while you are at it.

Love my 2018 Cummins, also my first Diesel. I tow a 33 ft travel trailer. The exhaust Brake is your best friend, I will never go back to gas.

I have a Grand Design 36ft and I'd like to test the exhaust brake as I've never had/used one.

Ive found a bunch of youtube videos on the filter changes and have done most of my maintenance in the past. So it should be pretty straightforward.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Here is my schedule for my 2016 2500 6.7,

Every 7500 miles - Oil & filter (Valvoline Premium Blue 10w 40, Fleetgard Stratopore filter)
Every other oil change - Oil & filter, Both fuel filters (Fleetgard filters)
Every other fuel filter change - Oil & filter, Both fuel filters (Fleetgard filters), Air filter ( MOPAR OEM)
Every other air filter change - Oil & filter, Both fuel filters (Fleetgard filters), Air filter ( MOPAR OEM), Crankcase breather ( Fleetgard)

I just like having a regular clockwork schedule. Makes it easier to do all the things on the same day. So I have Sm, Med, Lrg and XL service days. I use the oil and fuel filter life readout on the EVIC to keep track of when to do the service.

EDITED to make clear what gets done on each sm, med, lrg and XL "service day".

Last edited:

White six four

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For the high pitched squeal I had the same thing but I could only hear mine when I bounced on the back bumper. Check where your parking brake cable goes through the "holder" bracket for it on each side just before the rear tires. My drivers side was rubbing on the bracket making the noise for me.

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Everybody does their own thing. I have just followed the service interval timers on the truck, that tell you when your due for fuel filter changes. I only really use my 3500 to tow my 41 foot fiver too. For me the fuel filters seem to need changed every 10K -12k miles roughly. I dont do a lot of miles every year, but I try to change the engine oil every 12 months, as mine sits out the winter season every year. I get my OEM filters at dieselfiltersonline.com.

Oh and the best thing ever is the exhaust brake feature, it is such a great thing to use. I will have to say though, it works best when you plan your stops ahead of time. Just slamming on the brakes in a panic doesnt give it time to deploy the exhaust brake for much help stopping.

OP
OP
Hankrebel

Hankrebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Oil and fuel filters should be changed at the same time, every 15k miles. Engine wise, crank case filter needs to be changed every 65k and overhead adjustment every 150k.

I had a squeak when I first got mine too. Ended up being a loose nut on the spare tire shield. Never came back after tightening it.

That was it! Lowered the spare down about 2 inches and then back up real tight. Squeak is now gone.

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
For the high pitched squeal I had the same thing but I could only hear mine when I bounced on the back bumper. Check where your parking brake cable goes through the "holder" bracket for it on each side just before the rear tires. My drivers side was rubbing on the bracket making the noise for me.

Like this haha.