New to forum I have 2012 Ram Bighorn quad cab 5.7 Hemi.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bill R 0477

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Bighorn quad cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My 2012 ram is having trouble starting. It will crank but not start at times. It's intermittent. Some times it will fire right up. Other times it takes 4 or 5 times. Took to my mechanic. No past or present codes showed up. They said the fuel pump needs replaced. Estimate approximately $1100. That seems reasonable. And I will pay To have it done I would do myself but having shoulder issues . It runs great once it starts no misfiring or stalling. So not sure it's the fuel pump. Could it be something else. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did they check the fuel pump relay in the TIPM (totally integrated power module) in the engine compartment that could be your problem, is it cycling when you turn the key on, what is the pressure at the fuel rail? there is a jumper you can purchase to check this.

Welcome to the Ram Forum!!!

RedBullDodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do not have them replace the fuel pump yet. I had this exact same problem on my 2012 4.7. Had the fuel pump replaced and it didn't fix squat. A good way to tell is when you turn off the truck and remove the key place your ear by the fuel tank. If you hear a hum then your fuel pump is staying on. Common sign of the fuel relay going bad in the TIPM. So when it stays on the truck will fire up but when it gets stuck off then that's when you run into the issues where it takes multiple cranks to get going. Unfortunately Dodge designed this in a way where the relay is soldered onto the TIPM so the whole TIPM has to be replaced. You can go that route or buy a bypass online from vertical visions. I bought the $59 option and haven't had an issue since.

Last edited:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
when you are sitting in the truck
Turn on the ignition & watch the instrument panel
does the instrument panel light up every time you turn the ignition on ?
Does the Starter spin every time or does it not spin sometimes ?
Do you park close to a wall ?
Does your Ram remotely start with a FOB ?
I suggest that you park real close to any kind of wall, with the passenger side near close to the wall, leave maybe 4 feet between the Ram & the wall.
Press the Start button when you are standing or kneeling with your head near the back of the Cab.
Does the fuel pump make noise every time you press the Start button ??

If when you turn the FOB in the ignition & nothing happens on the Instrument Panel, try it a couple more times.
If the ignition does not light up each time. You could have a bad Ignition Switch.
Some people have to turn the ignition several times before the Instrument Panel lights up

watch this

awdodge1776

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2012 ram is having trouble starting. It will crank but not start at times. It's intermittent. Some times it will fire right up. Other times it takes 4 or 5 times. Took to my mechanic. No past or present codes showed up. They said the fuel pump needs replaced. Estimate approximately $1100. That seems reasonable. And I will pay To have it done I would do myself but having shoulder issues . It runs great once it starts no misfiring or stalling. So not sure it's the fuel pump. Could it be something else. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I had the same issue on my 2012 Bighorn Hemi. I replaced the fuel pump but still had the occasional 4 to 5 times cranking to start first thing in the morning. My TIPM got fried and so did the new one so now I will be trying the fuel relay bypass.