New to me 2017 Ram 1500 ride beats me to death!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shawn Percifield

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Multi Displacement VVT
Hey Everyone I just bought a newish Ram 1500 40,100 miles. Driving on the highway is great (How I test drove the truck). But you get on a back road and the ride is about 2 miles and it beats me to death! I hate driving the truck!

Looking under the truck I found an air hose to the back of the truck but not connected to anything!

I don't know anything about the truck since i just bought it so any help would be awesome!

I added a few pictures of the truck and under the rear end.

IMG_0963.jpg

IMG_1111.jpg

IMG_0984.jpg

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That doesn't look like a stock rear shock absorber (silver, the OE ones are black) and also it appears maybe they entirely cut off the rear bump stops, so there used to be some kind of air bags back there (??)

OP
OP
Shawn Percifield

Shawn Percifield

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yea I would assume there was air bags since there is an air line that is drilled into the back next to the license plate.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You'll likely want to put new bumpstops in if you plan to use this vehicle as more than a street queen - I.E. carrying any weight or covering any unpaved terrain. Because it appears they cut the OE fixtures off that means OE bumpstops won't install but you could probably find something from Sumo or Timbrens that would work, or generic parts. Bumpstops won't affect the ride but will protect your shocks and bodywork from bottoming out.

In front, I don't know the 2wd front suspension as intimately as I know the 4wd but those look like aftermarket lift spindles, and maybe aftermarket coil springs and it appears aftermarket shock absorbers (which seems likely since the rears are aftermarket)

So it's notoriously hard to diagnose anything over the internet, well you know how it goes so here is my Official Random A-Hole On The Internet recommendation:

1. get some rear bumpstops figured out.
2. probably not a bad idea to just get four new shock absorbers (and a 21mm crowsfoot wrench for the rear ones) - no idea what kind you have on there, they don't have obvious branding that I can see. The fronts will probably be stock length, because the front lift appears to be in the spindles (this is a guess based on the pictures) but the rears will need to be measured.
3. check that your tire pressure isn't excessive, that's going to have an obvious effect on ride quality
4. it sort of looks like your driver side front tire is wearing differently from passenger side?? tough to tell from the photo.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Shawn Percifield

Shawn Percifield

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You'll likely want to put new bumpstops in if you plan to use this vehicle as more than a street queen - I.E. carrying any weight or covering any unpaved terrain. Because it appears they cut the OE fixtures off that means OE bumpstops won't install but you could probably find something from Sumo or Timbrens that would work, or generic parts. Bumpstops won't affect the ride but will protect your shocks and bodywork from bottoming out.

In front, I don't know the 2wd front suspension as intimately as I know the 4wd but those look like aftermarket lift spindles, and likely aftermarket coil springs.

Thank you that helps I will start looking into getting new bump stops

OP
OP
Shawn Percifield

Shawn Percifield

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

In front, I don't know the 2wd front suspension as intimately as I know the 4wd but those look like aftermarket lift spindles, and maybe aftermarket coil springs and it appears aftermarket shock absorbers (which seems likely since the rears are aftermarket)

So it's notoriously hard to diagnose anything over the internet, well you know how it goes so here is my Official Random A-Hole On The Internet recommendation:

1. get some rear bumpstops figured out.
2. probably not a bad idea to just get four new shock absorbers (and a 21mm crowsfoot wrench for the rear ones) - no idea what kind you have on there, they don't have obvious branding that I can see. The fronts will probably be stock length, because the front lift appears to be in the spindles (this is a guess based on the pictures) but the rears will need to be measured.
3. check that your tire pressure isn't excessive, that's going to have an obvious effect on ride quality
4. it sort of looks like your driver side front tire is wearing differently from passenger side?? tough to tell from the photo.

I welcome all help!
Yes they put on a brand new tire on the passenger side and not the driver side 2 different tires at that.

I was thinking just getting a new 6in lift. What do you think about that? Or would the other be cheaper and easier lol

Last edited:

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
I welcome all help!
Yes they put on a brand new tire on the passenger side and not the driver side 2 different tires at that.

I was thinking just getting a new 6in lift. What do you think about that? Or would the other be cheaper and easier lol

you came to the right forum welcome.
If you’re looking to lift it now is the time before diving head first into changing shocks out etc. I bought my 2012 with 40k on it too and it had quick struts in the front that road horrible. We have preferred vendors on here that provide priceless help @Nick@GotExhaust can set you up with a lift kit and virtually all your aftermarket needs at prices no one else is touching and @AllMoparParts.com covers all OEM parts such as your bump stops. Benny at all mopar parts can verify everything is right by your VIN and Nick has been in the game long enough to know what works best. The rest of this forum is filled with a lot of knowledge and good people

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was thinking just getting a new full lift. What do you think about that? Or would the other be cheaper and easier lol

I don't know if you'd really gain anything by going fully Scorched Earth, like there's nothing inherently wrong with lift spindles in front. Those appear to be the Rough Country ones, just based on the shape. Could be the whole Rough Country 2wd lift kit, the rear shocks at least are the right color and I can't really tell from the photos what other parts of the kit are in there.

The only truly WTF part I see in any of this is the cut off bumpstops and if those are spacers in the back (on top of the coil springs) then it's likely all four coils are stock - in other words your ride quality complaints may be a combination of tire stiffness, the shock absorbers and your personal expectations.

OP
OP
Shawn Percifield

Shawn Percifield

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
you came to the right forum welcome.
If you’re looking to lift it now is the time before diving head first into changing shocks out etc. I bought my 2012 with 40k on it too and it had quick struts in the front that road horrible. We have preferred vendors on here that provide priceless help @Nick@GotExhaust can set you up with a lift kit and virtually all your aftermarket needs at prices no one else is touching and @AllMoparParts.com covers all OEM parts such as your bump stops. Benny at all mopar parts can verify everything is right by your VIN and Nick has been in the game long enough to know what works best. The rest of this forum is filled with a lot of knowledge and good people

wow Thank you! I have been looking around on here for about 3 days so far trying to see if anything one had the same problems I am. and I decided today i would join and just ask!

So far everyone on here is so much better then Facebook "help/put downs"

So far I love it here! and I will get into contact with them and see what we need to do!

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It seems you already have a 4 or 5" lift ?, It could be an RC lift but i don't see the stuff they do to the rear control arm brackets so it maybe perhaps a level kit with a 2-3 body lift ? take a pic in the body mounts and we'll know for sure.
Also you need to buy the factory jouncers and put those back. It may be the previos onwer had the Air bag 5000 system and he/she removed those and your dealer didn't give a chit about it so they're not putting them back. Maybe you could tell hey i'm missing my rear jouncers and if you had a 30 day warranty they could put those back at no cost to you.

OP
OP
Shawn Percifield

Shawn Percifield

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It seems you already have a 4 or 5" lift ?, It could be an RC lift but i don't see the stuff they do to the rear control arm brackets so it maybe perhaps a level kit with a 2-3 body lift ? take a pic in the body mounts and we'll know for sure.
Also you need to buy the factory jouncers and put those back. It may be the previos onwer had the Air bag 5000 system and he/she removed those and your dealer didn't give a chit about it so they're not putting them back. Maybe you could tell hey i'm missing my rear jouncers and if you had a 30 day warranty they could put those back at no cost to you.

OK I will get a picture! I bought a 6 year or 100,000 miles bumper to bumper warranty. You think they would fixit under that?

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
wow Thank you! I have been looking around on here for about 3 days so far trying to see if anything one had the same problems I am. and I decided today i would join and just ask!

So far everyone on here is so much better then Facebook "help/put downs"

So far I love it here! and I will get into contact with them and see what we need to do!

yeah Facebook is no place to get any information from. @ram1500rsm just gave great advice your dealer may install the bump stops for you. Can’t hurt to bring it to their attention.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OK I will get a picture! I bought a 6 year or 100,000 miles bumper to bumper warranty. You think they would fixit under that?
I’ll ask them. It seems you’re missing the cups to where they mount so those will have to be rewelded. Not sure if those cups are available from the dealer. If they’re not you will need to find a junk yard and cut a couple of them from another RAM. Or the shop will have to get creative with a different set of jounces from the aftermarket. But ask them anyways worst case they tell you they can’t. Most offroad shops will be able to fab something for you.

OP
OP
Shawn Percifield

Shawn Percifield

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’ll ask them. It seems you’re missing the cups to where they mount so those will have to be rewelded. Not sure if those cups are available from the dealer. If they’re not you will need to find a junk yard and cut a couple of them from another RAM. Or the shop will have to get creative with a different set of jounces from the aftermarket. But ask them anyways worst case they tell you they can’t. Most offroad shops will be able to fab something for you.

Thank you! I might have to get my uncle (owns his own body shop) to get them wielded up for me.